Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/10/2003 10:45:18 AM EDT
Just how good is the DSA STG 58? Should I be concerned about the refinished componnents? Will it be as accurate and reliable as a new SA58?

Or should I save a little longer and buy the SA58?

Thanks for your help
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:06:27 AM EDT
I just got a DSA STG58A carbine. This rifle looks new and functions flawlessly. You definitely can't go wrong with one of these.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:24:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/10/2003 11:25:03 AM EDT by Rusty]
Liber8

Anything you get from DSA is going to be good. They are a very good company.

As far as the STG58 goes. These were orignally made by Steyr and are considered to some of the best FAL pattern rifles ever built. The Steyr barrels have a remarkable reputation for accuracy.

I would not worry about the quality or any parts that are refinished. It will be a good rifle and well worth what you pay for it.

Rusty
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 12:09:38 PM EDT
Mine looks brand new. It shoots great and is very reliable. The handguards can get HOT after only a few mags worth of ammo. That is the only complaint you'll get from me. And it isn't too bad; plus you can hold the rifle by the mag well.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:34:13 PM EDT
Ditto, mine looks brand new, DSA offers great quality and I think the few extra bucks is worth knowing you got a good one. I've had mine for a month now and today I shot it very well. I'm returning the front sight for a taller one, but that's no big deal. I had fist size 20 round groups at 100 yards and that's darn good for me. Centered just to the 11:00 of the bullseye and good enough for hunting midsize game/fighting at that range. I've put a stop on my firearm purchases while I save for optics for the AR and FAL.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:46:33 AM EDT
I got mine a few years ago when they first came out. I couldn't find a single scratch or dent on the thing. The GI parts had been refinished with love and care. They are first quality parts that have seen little or no use.

These are fine handling rifles, function perfectly, and are hard hitting. The only complaint I have is the muzzle device - mine came with a semi-functional brake, then had it recalled by DSA and they replaced it with a muzzle weight - I'd like my brake back.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=81

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:52:32 AM EDT
Accuracy - well to tell you the truth in the four years I've owned this thing - the thousands of rounds fired on the practice range - I've never sat down and benchrest tested the thing.

This is a battle rifle meant to put 147 grains of lead into a human sized target at great ranges. I practice on a 12" rifle gong at ranges from 100 to 300 yards - the FAL is up to that task which is all I need. The rifle will be as accurate as your abilities but not to the point where you're going to take it to the next benchrest competition and go up against some old guy with a Remingon bolt rifle.

If I were to guess what my groups would look like using mil-surplus ammo it would 2-3". I honestly never felt the need to put the thing on paper to build groups. Like not taking my SUV to the drag strip to see what it does in the standing quarter mile when I take this rifle out for work I hit the target or not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:59:58 AM EDT
My STG58 will arrive at the end of next week. I can't wait!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:33:21 AM EDT
Thanks guys... I found a new SA 58 w/ x stock at my favorite gun store. So i just purchased it. I still like the looks of the STG I might have to buy one of those next
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 11:06:51 PM EDT
Better hurry. DSA is supposedly running out of good parts kits for the STGs and will discontinue in the near future.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:27:24 PM EDT
Where did you guys get them from?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:05:10 PM EDT
Bought mine from Bernie's Sports in Lilburn, GA.

www.bernies-sports.com/
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:12:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BookHound:
Bought mine from Bernie's Sports in Lilburn, GA.

www.bernies-sports.com/

I got their last one , but they said 2 weeks tops on getting one in. They may even have more in by now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/24/2003 5:12:57 PM EDT by BuLLet]

Originally Posted By arbob:
Better hurry. DSA is supposedly running out of good parts kits for the STGs and will discontinue in the near future.

This is not true in the least. It was a rumor started to help someone make more sales. The same question was presented to DSA on their forum on falfiles.com and they said without a doubt it's 100% false and they had plenty of kits to last years.

Here's a link to one of the questions I had found, notice it's right after someone here started a 'group buy' and made the claim that they were going to be gone soon.

www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66293
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:26:57 AM EDT
I bought mine from impact guns (impactguns.com) I actually live a few miles away and recently saw a very nice STG 58 carbine... great store
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:57:37 AM EDT
Honestly, anyone spending 1300.00 plus for the SA-58 when you can aquire the STG58A for 950.00 must be nutts. The STG58A is one nice gun and barrels will shoot strait and true with good ammo to produce 2"inch patterns all day. That cryo barrel has a lot of hype factor and not worth the added cost for the carbine model. I would rather have the bipod and the handle over the so called heavy duty type one receiver.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:26:03 PM EDT
come on guys. cryo barrel? vs. Steyr hammer forged? I'll take the Steyr anyday.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:12:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By V2:
Honestly, anyone spending 1300.00 plus for the SA-58 when you can aquire the STG58A for 950.00 must be nutts. The STG58A is one nice gun and barrels will shoot strait and true with good ammo to produce 2"inch patterns all day. That cryo barrel has a lot of hype factor and not worth the added cost for the carbine model. I would rather have the bipod and the handle over the so called heavy duty type one receiver.

Owning both a DSA SA58 Standard and a DSA STG58A w/ 18" barrel, short STG style muzzle brake and synthetic handguards I would have to strongly disagree with this statement.

The SA58 has many more upgrades than the STG58 like a lightweight lower, etc, etc. The SA58 standard is the most well balanced, "lively" rifle I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.

The SA58 and STG58 were both worth every cent that I spent on them, but they are in two different classes and it's not fair to compare them to each other. Just my .02

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:06:03 AM EDT
At first glance my dealer pulled this good looking SA-58 carbine from his display wall and i must admit it was an work of art. sceconds later the STG58A carbine was placed right next to the SA58 and there i stood drulling at both like a kid looking at a Hustler center fold for the first time. Yes the SA58 was a tadd lighter but the STG had that bad ass military look with bipod, redisgned muzzel comp, and folding handle which just loked like a sweeter package. 960.00 compaired to 1300 dollars was really the defining factor for me and the range time really impressed me for the deal of the century. The Cyro barrel on a carbine for an added 300.00 cost seamed outragious and over rated. For the savings of three plus C notes the STG has the heavy duty mount and Leoupold Vari 1.7 x 6 scope which beats the cyro barrel and the hype. The coyotees are taking tunnel digging lessons with this baby on the range.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:16:34 AM EDT
V2,

You may want to take a look at the specs on both rifles over at the DSA website, the difference between the SA58 and the STG58A goes much further than just the barrel. The SA58 has a lightweight aluminum lower and many other upgraded parts that may not be noticable when just glancing at both rifles.

You're not paying $300 to $400 for just the barrel.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:04:38 AM EDT
USMC, I know there are several different upgrades as the SA58 rifles are all new parts and carry the life time warentee but most of us see a true bargin in the DSA, STG series. The popularity of this gun as seen by others on this board is hard to argue with as the price is right, the parts may have already been assembled on regular army rifles that have seen little or no use and refinished adds a cosmetic look equal to the more expensive SA58. I just love that carry handle,it makes an easy pack in the mountains or long road trek. The access to a stable Bipod that folds neatly and adds comfort levels when shooting prone and waiting for the wild dog, ground squirrel,or crow that eats 7.62 with his corn meal.
DSA has done us all a great service by providing this varient with thier more expensive or hype line that some people belive paying more will garentee more status or preformance as it just good marketing bs.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:30:15 PM EDT
Two DSA STG kit guns. One on a Type 1 the other on a Type 3. DSA Barrels and compliance parts. Actually, they have way over the required parts counts. I built these guns. Today with Portugese surplus.... 1/2" groups at 100 yds all day long until the rain started. Over 400 rounds per rifle rapid fire, not one jam. How ya like them apples?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:19:17 AM EDT
i put 300 rounds through mine for the first time this weekend

no complaints

no jams

didn't even need to adjust the sights

i'm happy
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 10:29:21 AM EDT
Bought mine and it jammed like crazy all day. BUT I was shooting Norinco Ammo to get rid of it. I am blamming the ammo. All failures were FTE. At the same gas setting, some rounds flew 45 feet, and some flew 2 feet. And some (as noted above) didn't fly at all.
With real ammo I am sure it would be fine. I want to pull the bipod off the thing but the nuts on it (castle nut) are a pain in the ass and I can't find the tool for it.
Other compaint is sharp edges.
Overall a great gun.
Can't beat the price of mags
Top Top