Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2002 6:03:22 AM EDT
I know there are numerous opinions on this topic (and we know what opinions are like) but I value yours.

How specifically do you break in a new barrel?  Do you use solvent or no?  Do you use patches only or do you also use a bronze bore brush?  Etc, etc.....

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#1]
For breaking in the barrel, it should be cleaned every 20 rounds for the first 180 rounds. Then after every 100 rounds until you reach c. 400 rounds. After that the rifle can be cleaned after each shooting session. EDITED to say this is for chrome lined AR15's. My POS keyboard failed during my response, but Forest got you covered!
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't stress this enough.  MONKEY URINE!  Use it on a patch before each shot when breaking in the barrel, and even your .22LR will shoot .25 MOA at 500 yards.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Dave wrote the definative (and well researched) article on the subject.  Depends on the barrel type: groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/barrelbreakinpage1.msnw
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:26:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know there are numerous opinions on this topic (and we know what opinions are like) but I value yours.

How specifically do you break in a new barrel?  Do you use solvent or no?  Do you use patches only or do you also use a bronze bore brush?  Etc, etc.....

Thanks.

I used the Remington Arms recommended method. If interested, check out:

http://www.remington.com/support/guncare/gc_7.htm
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Shoot 2 SA battle packs, clean, repeat as necessary.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 8:44:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shoot 2 SA battle packs, clean, repeat as necessary.

Concur.

I would clean it first though. I have mined quite a few machining leftovers out of new barrels.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Go over to thefiringline.com and do a search for barrel break in.  No less than Gale McMillan himself stated over there many times that barrel break-in is just so much cow hooey.

Personally, my break-in is as follows:

1. Clean rifle's barrel
2. Shoot rifle
3. Clean barrel
4. Repeat as needed
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 2:54:54 AM EDT
[#8]
1. Clean packing grease out of rifle.
2. shoot rifle as much or as little as you want.
3. Clean rifle before putting away in safe.

Link Posted: 9/27/2002 3:12:04 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys are scaring me. I brought out my new bushy and blasted off with it the first time. I always cleans after every shooting, but I didn't break it in. How much difference does it make? Also, I didn't know at the time that you had to break in a barrel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 5:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Well I do mine wrong then I just put 400 rounds through and then clean it.  I guess it depends on what you are breaking it in for.  Just for average shooting then just load and roll, if it is on a target or custom barrel for distance shooting then the 20rd clean rule would be the best.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You guys are scaring me. I brought out my new bushy and blasted off with it the first time. I always cleans after every shooting, but I didn't break it in

Chances are your Bushy has a chrome lined barrel (it will unless its the DCM or Varmint model).  If so what you did is correct "Just Shoot It".  This is covered in the article mentioned above.

If you have the other types then no there isn't a problem.  As far as I can tell break it just helps with clean-up and fouling reduction - not an accuraccy issue.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#12]
The 2002 LEGP DPMS has a suggested break-in. But this is a DCM version and has the stainless barrel. I used a break-in supplied by Thebeekeeper 1

1 round clean [10 times]
3 round's clean [10 times]
5 round's clean [10 times]

It' more to season the barrel. Do not know about accuracy [I'm no crack shot] but it will make cleaning a breeze.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#13]
That's pretty close to what I'm doing with my MATCH AR, an Arma-Lite M15A2NM.  I went with a buddy who was a Scout/Sniper in the Marines.  We shot one round, put a wet patch (copper solvent) fb 3-4 dry, another wet, 3-4 more dry, a third wet, drypatch until fairly clean (around 15 patches total per round).  Use the over-tip jag, not the slotted-tip one.  Did 11 rounds like this.  Keep the used patches out in a row, by round.  You'll see the pattern and how the cleaning process develops.  Shot the 1st 3 rd group at 25m, a one-holer.  I haven't proceeded past this, but the process is the same, just fire more rounds between cleaning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top