Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2017 11:18:53 AM EST
Pretty sure I bought the Silencerco easy trust. I have myself, a trustee, and a beneficiary. I have an amendment for but it looks like it's for adding people, not removing them. I want to remove the trustee. My only concern is the beneficiary is a 1 yr old. If I die, who gets the stuff?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:04:37 PM EST
Won't Silencerco help you with this? You bought the trust from them, after all...

However, generally, removing someone is the same as adding them. You as the grantor add an amendment to the trust revoking the amendment which added the person to the trust, or explicitly removing them if they were part of the original trust and not added by amendment.

If you die, the stuff goes to the person named as the beneficiary. If the beneficiary is not of age to receive the NFA items and you haven't appointed a successor trustee, then I guess that's down to a matter of state law. An attorney in your state, or someone familiar with the laws in your state maybe able to help you further with specifics of what happens to assets of trusts with beneficiaries not yet of age to lawfully possess them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:49:59 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Circuits:
Won't Silencerco help you with this? You bought the trust from them, after all...

However, generally, removing someone is the same as adding them. You as the grantor add an amendment to the trust revoking the amendment which added the person to the trust, or explicitly removing them if they were part of the original trust and not added by amendment.

If you die, the stuff goes to the person named as the beneficiary. If the beneficiary is not of age to receive the NFA items and you haven't appointed a successor trustee, then I guess that's down to a matter of state law. An attorney in your state, or someone familiar with the laws in your state maybe able to help you further with specifics of what happens to assets of trusts with beneficiaries not yet of age to lawfully possess them.
View Quote
I'll reach out to them to see what they say.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:32:52 PM EST
I'm no lawyer.

But pretty sure it's an one or two sentence , one page amendment page added to your trust that pretty much says.

"Effective xxxxxx date , xxxxx person is no longer part of this trust. "
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:38:17 PM EST
This all depends on the trust. The trust is a legal document designed by a lawyer. You want to ask some dudes on the internet who have never laid eyes on the trust? Or the lawyer who wrote the trust? The only one that can really answer for sure is the lawyer who wrote it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:51:40 PM EST
This seems like a good place to point out one of the problems with the explosive increase in the use of trusts in the nfa community in the last 10 years or so.

Thanks to the internet, thousands of people were convinced that they NEEDED to get that trust for all their nfa goodies. People started using them to get around asshole cleos that wouldn't sign, (which I'll admit I would have absolutely done if I had needed to) and then it just got stupid from there. As a result there are a LOT of people out there that own nfa items under a trust that have absolutely no idea how their trust works, or even what the trust really is.

Everything may work out fine, or possibly in 20 years or so there will be a bunch of nfa goodies floating around with questionable legal status when everyone that got caught up in the trust frenzy but had no idea what they were doing gets old and dies.
Top Top