Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2003 2:46:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#1]
There is an old FM I read once that talks about cleaning out your rifle wit soap and water at least once a day while shooting it. Then apply whale oil.

The other thing is they taught the troops to clean the rifles the day they shot it and everyday for three days afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I have often wondered this myself - thanks for asking, Wave.

And thanks for answering, ZRH!

Be kinda rough if you weren't near a good amount of water.

My life is so easy!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 5:02:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Wave:

The English used a special funnel to pour boiling water down the barrels of the Enfields.  The spout fits right into the chamber so you don't mess up the works.  I was considering getting one (you can get them Canadian surplus), but I read about the ammonia/soapy water trick.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Hot water, water, urine, and thorough scrubbing, and oiling.

I prefer boiling water, mild soap, and CLP for my SMLE's and Mausers.

Boiling water, then a nylon, or bristle brush soaked in simple green, or Castrol "Super Clean". Scrub, rinse, scrub, rinse.. Then finish with another dose of boiling water.

Dry the bore, and while it's still hot, run a dripping patch of CLP through it, and leave.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Unless you get the copper out you're wasting your time cleaning.  Windex is a mild ammonia solution which will remove a little, but you need an agressive copper solvent like Sweets 762 and an agressive cleaning procedure repeated for several days.

The copper "fouling" which is harmless with modern ammunition will plate over the corrosive salts and the good looking bore will be eaten from underneath the plating.

If you're serious about shooting corrosive ammo get a copy of Hatcher's Notebook and read about cleaning.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard they used hot water, hot tea(British)  and piss. But remember, they were in a war and they weren't as concerned with corrosive ammo as we are today. Plus, the weapons were new, or almost, and the corrosive salts in the primers don't cause instant damage. We have a serious problem with the bores having not been cared for over a period of decades.
Jim
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
old GI bore cleaner was water based and made to defeat the salt.

blackpowder is corrosive, so use BP cleaner, its made to take out the salts, and is easier to deal with that taking a bath with your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I hate to ask this, but,  just what does corrosive ammo mean?  I am not trying to highjack this thread.  I have just always wanted to know what is meant by corrosive.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I hate to ask this, but,  just what does corrosive ammo mean?  I am not trying to highjack this thread.  I have just always wanted to know what is meant by corrosive.

Salts in the primer. When you shoot it they get blasted all over the bore. The salts will get coated in copper fouling from shooting. Then the salt attracts water, water creates rust.

Petroleum products dont break up the salts so you have to use something they will dissolve in, i.e. ammonia and/or water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top