Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 6:54:19 PM EDT
Like M1 carbines?  1911's?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
They have/had carbines in limited numbers but they are only for club sales.

1911's are evil pistols so they can't sell them. If they could they would don't blame the CMP talk to Ted K.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#2]
They ran out of carbines many, many years ago- you know all those USGI carbines you always see at gunshows?  That would be them.  In fact, even the M1903's are getting pretty low and the supply of M1 Garands is finite.  

CMP cannot legally sell pistols due to the nature of their charter from what I understand, and everything beyond the M1 Garnd had full auto capability and in the eyes of the law once a machinegun receiver always a machinegun receiver.

The upside is there are rumors we will see more stuff being imported back from lend lease countries over the next few years.  IIRC Turkey still has many of our Garands and I believe some went to Italy too.  I would also expect with 6 million m1 carbines produced we would one day see more once they are reclaimed from lend-lease prgrams.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:39:27 PM EDT
[#3]

IIRC Turkey still has many of our Garands

That's the truth.  They're still using them, too.  I saw quite a few of them, and they are well-used.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
THank Ted Kennedy for not letting any of the 1911's going up for sale
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]
The only thing I got from the CMP was a Mossberg m44 .22. My favorite .22, I always wanted after shooting them at Boy Scout camp when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I understand it, The US stuff is running low, as far as Garands go.  The Greeks are what's hot now.  You can get USGI if you're wiling to build up a rack grade or "field" grade, which is a new category since I bought my service grade.  But there are service grade Greeks still.  After that, the Turkey stuff is news to me.  I got my USGI Springfield right at the end when they started running out.  I feel lucky.  But there have been favorable responses about the greeks on here and other places.  If someone really wants to own a genuine Garand, they better get on the shtick.  They're twice as much at the gun shows and probably still need work.  

I think my next conquest is and 03a3.  I didn't realize they were running low.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
btw, go to www.odcmp.com.  There's good info there.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They ran out of carbines many, many years ago- you know all those USGI carbines you always see at gunshows?  That would be them.  In fact, even the M1903's are getting pretty low and the supply of M1 Garands is finite.  

CMP cannot legally sell pistols due to the nature of their charter from what I understand, and everything beyond the M1 Garnd had full auto capability and in the eyes of the law once a machinegun receiver always a machinegun receiver.

The upside is there are rumors we will see more stuff being imported back from lend lease countries over the next few years.  IIRC Turkey still has many of our Garands and I believe some went to Italy too.  I would also expect with 6 million m1 carbines produced we would one day see more once they are reclaimed from lend-lease prgrams.

It hasn't been that many years ago. AFAIK, carbines are still available for club sales only. But, just a few years ago (3-5?) they were available for sale to everyone. They did not last long, but they were for sale. Technically I guess you are correct in that the last large scale sale of M1 Carbines was back in the 60's where they went for around $15 or so. I know several that were fortunate enough to buy them back then. Some were dogs and some were almost unfired and still original.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top