Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 6:57:23 PM EDT
I have been a gun lover for years and I grew up shooting. I can rip a target apart with most any firearm but I would like to learn "the right way" to become a better shot at long range. I want to be able to shoot tight groups at farther then just 100 to 200 yards. What is the best way to learn about bullet drop and all of that good stuff. Any books you could recomend that I will be able to keep up with?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:37:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Highpower Rifle by David Tubb is a pretty good start, I think.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Take copious notes while shooting.
Note the different rounds you're using.
The weather.
How YOU feel that day.

This helps you to learn what works and what doesn't.
When I shoot at longer ranges, I usually make a notation before and after every shot.
If there's someone pulling butts, I make a notation after my shot, then after my mark.
Then I note any corrections.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:26:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I firmly believe that doing is the best teacher.  I could read a book about riding a bicycle but it is only cerebral, as opposed to tactile.
Go do a CMP Highpower shoot.  Find someone who knows what they are doing and have them coach you.  Its easy, fun, and you qualify to buy a cmp rifle.  Also learning good habits is paramount because un-learning bad ones is nigh on impossible.  After a while these motor skills will be automatic and you WILL be a better shot.
Worked for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I hoped to find someone at the local outdoor range I used to frequent that could help me but I was quickly disappointed.  As soon as I heard some folks calling my rifle a "sniper's gun" and watched them put 5 shots into a 5" group at 50yds I knew that wasn't the right place to be.  I spent a bunch of time on the internet (here, snipershide, snipers paradise) and read a LOT of posts.  The things that have helped me the most are the following:

1 - Breathing control and timing

2 - Trigger control

3 - Consistency (cheekweld, rifle position, ammunition, etc.)

I'm not going to be entering any competitions any time soon, but for the amount of time I have put behind the trigger of my first "precision" rifle I am happy with the results.  As far as finding ballistic data, that stuff is all over the web.  Most manufacturers publish tables for different loads, and handloading manuals will normally include some pretty good info as well.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Couple of avenues for you to explore!

For the Basics, Try "Fred's 25M" army qualifier course! (look in any Shotgun News magazine for Freds M-14 Stocks ad and his comments on marksmanship are on target!

If you are needing correction of your technique, you will SEE, Understand and can solve the problem shooting reduced course at 25M.  You know it is you and not the rifle, ammo, wind, etc...

For the real world to reach on out there, try shooting NRA high power / CMP matches at your local rifle club.  Nearly everyplace has a club that shoots these matches within an hours drive, and nothing tells you where you are in shooting distance than connecting at 600 with iron sights!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Move a bit closer to the target....
Seriously, sign up for a highpower clinic and work with the guys there. Then try a highpower match. Your distance shooting skills will improve damn quick.
Don't forget to practice what you learn too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top