Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/12/2005 11:26:04 AM EDT
Thinking about geting a mosin from AIM, any onw have one from them?

hows the accuracy with surplus ammo,
hows the wood/barrel,etc

thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:53:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 11:55:42 AM EDT by MauserMark]
well, I got one that seems to have a headspace problem. The chamber has been thouroughly scrubbed for old cosmoline, and the bolt sticks on ALL types of ammunition, and I mean sticks bad. It shouldn't stick on new commerical brass but it does, which is a sign of overpressure locking the lugs. It's become nothing but a wall hanger, and I would have to say that's the only rifle out of the 4 I've ordered from them that I've been very dissapointed in.

-mark
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:10:36 PM EDT
could you send it back?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:43:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/12/2005 1:44:50 PM EDT by MauserMark]

Originally Posted By Kal-El:
could you send it back?

probably not now, it's been at least a year.

and since I usually get to shoot my C&Rs maybe once a month it took me a long time to first figure out the problem was the chamber, before that I was trying every ammunition available, and the time it took to order, wait to get to the range, test then try another, then finally spend the time to clean and scrub the chamber, then try different types of ammo, lets just say it's been a while.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:55:23 PM EDT
I received one from Aim two months ago. 1943, all matching except the buttplate. Metal and wood in good condition. A few dings and scratches, no cracks or real damage.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:14:07 PM EDT
Do you have a headspace gage?

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By MauserMark:
well, I got one that seems to have a headspace problem. The chamber has been thouroughly scrubbed for old cosmoline, and the bolt sticks on ALL types of ammunition, and I mean sticks bad. It shouldn't stick on new commerical brass but it does, which is a sign of overpressure locking the lugs. It's become nothing but a wall hanger, and I would have to say that's the only rifle out of the 4 I've ordered from them that I've been very dissapointed in.

-mark

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:29:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By djenkins:

Dennis Jenkins

-mark

no, but from what I described to some on here over the last years about the problem, most have come to the conclusion it's a damaged headspace issue. The cheapest headspace guage sets I've seen are around $75, not really worth it to me, just need to find someone with one and use it once. But again, if it is the the headspace what can I do about it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:16:37 PM EDT
It's pretty rare to find a MN with excessive headspace.

You can get a NoGo gage for $25 from Brownells.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By djenkins:

Dennis Jenkins

-mark

no, but from what I described to some on here over the last years about the problem, most have come to the conclusion it's a damaged headspace issue. The cheapest headspace guage sets I've seen are around $75, not really worth it to me, just need to find someone with one and use it once. But again, if it is the the headspace what can I do about it?

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:20:47 PM EDT
It's INCREDIBLY rare to find excessive headspace, especially on a refurb like AIM is selling. It was most likely checked before putting into stores.

Have you polished the chamber by any chance? I have had mosins with very rough chambers, and they stuck ammo like nuts until I polished them. Wrap some 0000 steel wool around a .44 cleaning brush and chuck a cleaning rod section up in a cordless drill. Put that in your chamber and really let it do its thing. Then, follow that with some jeweler's rouge (or toothpaste) on a cleaning patch on top of the cleaning brush. Clean the chamber and bore and go shoot it and see what you get.

I wouldn't be surprised if that fixed ya up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:09:00 AM EDT
The 91/30 I got from them about six months ago is in excellent condition. Metal and wood is in great shape, but the shellac looks like someone just poured it on.

I stripped it down to the bare wood and found that these rifles have the worst looking wood I have ever seen as far as color and grain go. I finally found the proper stain and then did mine with BLO.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:17:07 AM EDT
I guess I'll keep trying.........
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:28:15 AM EDT
I received a MN 91/30 from AIM about a year and a half ago that looks practically brand new. I have the bolt sticking problem as well, but it doesn't sounds quite as bad as yours. It's an annoyance, but I rarely shoot it. The 03A3 and the Mauser always seem to win out come decision time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:56:35 AM EDT

-mark

You are correct,that is a classic symptom of excessive headspace,however the 7.62x54 headspaces on the rim,so two possible fixes for you that wont cost much.Go to tapco and see if they are still selling MN bolt heads,IIRC they were going for like 3 or 4 bucks each,other than a rough chamber from corrosive ammo or a too tight extractor,this may fix your problem.Also if you have excess headspace,you could handload for your rifle.Get some new brass,load em up with light loads and when reloading them only neck size them.Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:01:53 AM EDT
As to the original question,do not worry about ordering from aim,if you aint happy they will make it right.I ordered a few mosin nagant rifles from aim when I had a c&r license,the only one I wasnt happy with was a hex reciver 91/30 that I paid extra for a handpicked bore.The rifle looked nice,but the bore was a sewer pipe.They made it right.
Top Top