Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 10:24:02 AM EDT
The ones they have for sale in the EE

How adjustable are they? Will they fit a big guy with a wide chest but narrow hips?

Opinions? They look like nice rigs.

TIA
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
very nice rig and it fits all sizes and shapes
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Do tell Brass.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's a great rig.  I also have a narrow waist and broad chest and it works just fine, plenty of adjustment there.

It's the best thing going far and away in that price range.  I am working on something along those lines that address some of the shortcomings that I have found with this rig.

1.  Bungie retention cords.
2.  Lengthen the pistol/tool pouch covers.
3.  Wider back/horizontal strapping?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The PHUTV can accept up to 8 AR mags or 4 AK mags out of the bag.

the pistol mag pouches are designed really for a G19 sized magazine - anything larger and you run the risk of not having enough velcro purchase to secure your lids.

Everyone will have a different take on what this rig should or shouldnt do.  I have modded close to a dozen of these rigs - converting regular TV's to Molle compliant TV's, split and lengthen the pistol mag lids to accept G17 mags, and have added bungee cords to the mag pouches.

All together, for its intended audience, it does well, anyone OUTSIDE that element will find/think that this rig is 'lacking'.  One thing it is not is a be all, end all rig.  

Before committing to any sort of mod, you should reassess your own needs before dropping coin on any rig - I can tell you that if you mod one of these rigs, it will easily cost more than the original rig.

EGG
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What I specifically didn't like was the outer pouches.  They are designed for compact mags and make hi-caps or flashlights sort of hang out there while extending the cover flaps far enough up so that they don't get much bite on the velcro.  I thought it would have been nice also, if the flaps were separated instead of one piece for each pair of flaps.

+1.  If I end up with one, the pouch flaps will have to get mod'd to work separately.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#10]

modded SKDTAC PHUTV
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.geardo.com/images/EGL/phutvMod.jpg
modded SKDTAC PHUTV

Looks good Egg.  Did you cut and seal the pistol flaps or replace them with longer ones?  
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 9:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
oh it's nothing secret, I loved the rig, and realized that it was designed for a specific purpose.  What I specifically didn't like was the outer pouches.  They are designed for compact mags and make hi-caps or flashlights sort of hang out there while extending the cover flaps far enough up so that they don't get much bite on the velcro.  I thought it would have been nice also, if the flaps were separated instead of one piece for each pair of flaps.

Joe solved the over-specificity of the outer MBITR style radio pouches with the PALS.  However, I think alot of the appeal of this rig was that you didn't have to fork out for all the pouches.

To that end, I realized that the four mag pouches and four pistol/utility pouches was great for a grab and go, range, or training class rig, but that the layout and details could be improved.

When I get something close to what I want finished up, I'll post it and you guys can tear it apart lol.

GREAT!  I like this rig and I am looking for a quick grab and go rig but I am running a Glock 22 and didn't want to buy this since it was designed for a Midsize.  I also like the Molle on the side so I can add a small 1st aid kit.  

Timeframe you are looking at haveing a "rough draft" ready?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, this would be the rig that I'd go with if they came with the mods as done by Egg.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:25:03 AM EDT
[#15]
I just ordered the Eagle Chest Harness from SKD and I was wondering: are mags equipped with Magpuls small enough that they will stay secured by the velcro flaps?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:27:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.geardo.com/images/EGL/phutvMod.jpg

modded SKDTAC PHUTV

What all mods did you do to it, egg?  It looks good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:58:06 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#19]
tag for mod info
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I'd like to see PALS and D rings on the shoulder straps, as long as we're wish listing.  One of these is on my short term wish list for sure.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:09:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Tag - Interested in the eggrolly mod.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:41:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I'ved used the Eagle PC and Rhodesian Rig, and just got the SKD mod of the PHUTV.  The UTV is an ideal rig for a a guy who doesn't plan on wearing armor and doesn't want to drop a lot of dough on a chest rig or web gear.  It will hold enough mags for a course and has room for another carbine pouch or two pistol mag pouches and a small med kit.

If you want to mount a Camelbak, go for the Rhodesian rig. . . .
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I actually should have a prototype in my hands by monday or tuesday.  I am taking input from several sources so it has evolved a bit beyond my original intentions!  I'll post when I get it and run through it.

Any update yet?  I wouldn't bug you except you always make exactly what I want, and I want this!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I actually should have a prototype in my hands by monday or tuesday.  I am taking input from several sources so it has evolved a bit beyond my original intentions!  I'll post when I get it and run through it.

Any update yet?  I wouldn't bug you except you always make exactly what I want, and I want this!

I have emailed Eggroll twice with no replies.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is Brass that is "updating" one that I am waiting for.  Egg. modified that one up top and it looks great!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is Brass that is "updating" one that I am waiting for.  Egg. modified that one up top and it looks great!

Who is "Brass"?

I have seen Egg advertising this mod on several forums.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#27]
The SKD is my first chest rig and I like it pretty well with a couple minor complaints.

1) I didn't want to run two mags in each center pouch, but with only one mag it was too loose. I bought a couple of the new new Blade-Tech AR mag pouches and stuffed them down inside. They are big enough that the elastic band holds them in, and I can adjust the retention on them to keep the single mag in the pouch. Works great! For redundancy one could drill a hole in the bottom of the Blade-Tech and run a little paracord through the drain hole in the pouch to be extra sure it doesn't get drawn with the mag, but I don't run the retention that tight.

2) This one I haven't found a solution for yet. The shoulder straps tend to walk in until they rub against my neck. Maybe they need some tacky material on the underside.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Vandal, I kept raising mine higher up my chest until the straps no longer bothered my neck. Perhaps yours is adjusted too low?

I use mine for a 2 gun competition I go to (www.actshooters.com/). For me the layout is almost exactly how I would set up a MOLLE vest. D rings for Camel back would be nice. 1 flap for 2 pistol pouches doesn't bother me too much. Bungee retention would be real nice for the rifle mag pouches. I haven't had a solo mag fall out yet, but I could see it happening. But for $75 I really can't complain at all
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:40:38 PM EDT
[#29]
This is my first chest rig, rather, first piece of gear for that matter, and I was wondering: how am I supposed adjust and wear it?  Do I want it right below my pecs?  How tight should it be?

Sorry if these seems stupid. :)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#30]
You can wear it around your leg if you want toSeriously,  just make it comfy. I loaded mine up, put it on, and had my wife adjust the straps until it felt good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
You can wear it around your leg if you want tohad

Yeah, I'll wait until my mags come in then adjust it.  It's hard to adjust with it empty. :)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:44:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Vandal, I kept raising mine higher up my chest until the straps no longer bothered my neck. Perhaps yours is adjusted too low?
/quote]

Maybe... but I'm a big guy -- 6'5" 240. If I move it up to just under my armpits then I can't get to the mags very easily.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:49:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Ok, I'm wearing mine right now. I'm 5' 10", 205. My boobies are just touching the top of the mag pouches. I've got about 1 1/2" from the bottom of the pouches to my belly button. I can get to everything easy. That is everything but my knife that I have paracorded to the left hand MOLLE straps. It is a SOG SEAL pup. The handle of the knife almost goes into my arm pit. I think a longer knife would be much easier to draw. I can't for the life of me remember where I stashed my Recon tanto though. But that is another story. Hope this helpsETA: I've worn this twice for about 8 hrs. each time, fully loaded, in complete comfort.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
My boobies are just touching the top of the mag pouches.

ROFL

Brass...where are you at with the mods?  I just got a Rhodesian chest rig and it's sweet.  Have yet to get any pouches for it...for some reason no one has any khaki Eagle mag pouches and I don't know if the M9 pouches will work for a Glock 17...do they?  Any way, I really want to get another rig to keep in my car and I'm waiting to see what you are going to come up with.    
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:25:00 AM EDT
[#35]
ttt for any more reviews..
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:49:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I am planning on buying one of these but I am having trouble choosing a color. What is the difference between Ranger Green and OD, and what is the difference between Coyote and Khaki? Is there that much of a difference.

This would be for competition and hopefully classes. Oh and for zombies too. But I, of course, would like to be up on the latest in tacticool.

So far this has seemed to be the best blend of price and functionality in a rig to carry magazines. I have seen that the pistol magazine slots are made for Glock 30s, has anyone tried Springfield XD magazines yet? Thanks to SKD for getting these done.

96Ag
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I am planning on buying one of these but I am having trouble choosing a color.

But I, of course, would like to be up on the latest in tacticool.

Then it's got to be the MultiCam!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I've now used the Eagle Plate Carrier, Rhodesian Vest, PC and RRV combined, and Paul Howe Universal Tactical Vest.  All are great and all get the job done.  If you need a simple, elegant rig for carrying mags, the SKD version of the PH-UTV is the way to go.  Without adding any pouches, the SKD UTV will allow you to carry four to eight mags and four Glock mags. When cinched up right, it fits perfectly. It won't hold a plate.  It doesn't have room for a blowout kit.  It won't (yet, at least) link up with a Camelbak or bladder cover.  But, do you really need that stuff on the square range?  For the money, this is a tremendous deal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It won't (yet, at least) link up with a Camelbak or bladder cover.  But, do you really need that stuff on the square range?  For the money, this is a tremendous deal.

Do you know something we don't?    I agree with the first two, but having water readily accessible is useful anywhere.  That would be the second-best improvement I could see, behind making the pistol mag flaps seperate from each other.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#40]
the PHUTV was NOT designed with any of US in mind, so as such it was designed for its specific niche customer which fits fine... sans hydro.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:05:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
It won't (yet, at least) link up with a Camelbak or bladder cover.  But, do you really need that stuff on the square range?  For the money, this is a tremendous deal.

Do you know something we don't?    I agree with the first two, but having water readily accessible is useful anywhere.  That would be the second-best improvement I could see, behind making the pistol mag flaps seperate from each other.  

I just did a Pat Rogers three-day class.  The first day I wore TT's new hydro carrier.  The last two days I just filled it and left it in th gear bag.  But, I never missed taking a drink when my relay wasn't on the line.  And it worked out fine.

The weather got to around 65 degrees the first two days and 80 degrees the third.

I don't know anything that you all don't know.  On another forum, I've seen discussion about making modifications to link up a bladder with the UTV, but I've not seen it done.

MCGrubbs:  Sounds like you had a good time at Uncle Pat's course.  Wish I could have been there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:46:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I think it's on LF, somewhere. . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top