Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2010 1:30:30 PM EDT
I have $5,000 to spend and I was thinking of buying an M11 with MAX11 Large Upper but now I am thinking of using any one of my AR's as a FA host.  I know I don't have enough for a RDIAS but what about a Lightning Link?  How much do they go for?  What should I look for in terms of quality?  What type of FGC do you need for an AR with an LL?

Any help would be appreciated,
MadDog
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 1:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2010 1:37:16 PM EDT by MP15T]
A LL will run you around $7K.

You run a semi FCG.

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 1:40:01 PM EDT
M60JOE can make a modified 3rd burst FCG to allow the safe/semi/auto with a LL
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 2:53:34 PM EDT
10 to 20 years
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 3:01:13 PM EDT
the biggest downside to LL's is there are no reliable 22 conversions for them. it's been tried several times but so far, i've not heard of anyone being able to make it work.

5k is a little low for one, but that + a trade of some kind might do the trick.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 5:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2010 5:15:26 PM EDT by Circuits]
Originally Posted By MadDogDan:
I have $5,000 to spend and I was thinking of buying an M11 with MAX11 Large Upper but now I am thinking of using any one of my AR's as a FA host.  I know I don't have enough for a RDIAS but what about a Lightning Link?  How much do they go for?  What should I look for in terms of quality?  What type of FGC do you need for an AR with an LL?

As far as I know, only one company made LLs commercially, and that was SWD.  There were some made by individuals and registered before the 5/19/86 cutoff, but you'd have to look at those on a case-by-case basis to determine if they're worth what the seller might happen to be asking for it.

$5000 will probably not be enough to get you into an LL, although it doesn't hurt to look around and make offers.  They peaked at $7k-$8k, and the market is down, so it's not impossible that someone might be looking to sell, and might come down into that price range - especially if it's got a broken tab they don't want to take the time and money to fix.

The LL's work with a semi FCG and old SP-1 style bolt carrier (current DPMS and a few others will work without modification, almost any carrier can be made to function with some work, too).  They can be used with a modified 3rd burst FCG to get safe-semi-auto operation.  John Norrell came up with that one, and it was being made and sold by Scott Bell for years.  Pretty much any NFA-knowledgeable smith can whip you up a set from a 3rb group these days, and it's not hard to roll your own, either, if you've got hand tools and the pictures from quarterbore.com.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 7:15:38 PM EDT
What's your total cost after 5000-7500 rds bw m11 9mm vs LL 556

something to consider
Top Top