Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2013 8:04:39 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with either of the bullets ? I would like to get an idea of how accurate they both are and maybe what a good load would be in AR's with a 16" 1 in 8 and a 20" 1 in 9 barrels .
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The Hornady FMJ is pretty decent as far as FMJ bullets go. It's better than the imported ones. I avoid using soft point bullets in auto loading rifles. They may or may not feed reliably. Hollow points are usually more reliably feeding in auto loading rifles than soft point bullets. Some soft points do work alright in some auto loading rifles though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used the FMJ over reloader 7 with good results out of 16 and 22 inch barrels.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I use both and found the soft points are a bit more accurate. I attribute this to the SP's flat base. Both cycle just fine in my AR's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Hornady FMJ is pretty decent as far as FMJ bullets go. It's better than the imported ones. I avoid using soft point bullets in auto loading rifles. They may or may not feed reliably. Hollow points are usually more reliably feeding in auto loading rifles than soft point bullets. Some soft points do work alright in some auto loading rifles though.
View Quote

I believe it's the other way around.  Some rifles may feed all different type of bullets and some may not.  Which one's are the imported bullets?  The first i hear of this

OP you bring up a good point about different loads for barrel lengths.  I have a 223 pistol and would love to find a load for a 10in barrel.  A faster powder would obviously be better
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#6]
They (FMJBT) are surprisingly accurate from my bolt gun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

They are both good bullets in an AR. Yes the soft point will feed very well in an AR. The post above is in error.

The Hornady is the best 55 gr FMJBT made.

Expect 5 shot groups of around 1 inch at 100 yds with scope/bench rest.

The Hornady 55 gr SP is one of the best soft points in this weight, they expand well.

Expect 5 shot groups of less than 1 inch at 100 yds with scope/bench rest.

I use the same exact load with either bullet and seat them mid cannelure. Remember I worked up to my loads to come up with this statement. Be safe, do your own work ups.

I put a light crimp on the FMJ and none on the SP.

With proper neck tension, crimping is opitional, so do what you like with the crimp.

Some will get better/worse results than me with their accuracy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone have any experience with either of the bullets ? I would like to get an idea of how accurate they both are and maybe what a good load would be in AR's with a 16" 1 in 8 and a 20" 1 in 9 barrels .

They are both good bullets in an AR. Yes the soft point will feed very well in an AR. The post above is in error.

The Hornady is the best 55 gr FMJBT made.

Expect 5 shot groups of around 1 inch at 100 yds with scope/bench rest.

The Hornady 55 gr SP is one of the best soft points in this weight, they expand well.

Expect 5 shot groups of less than 1 inch at 100 yds with scope/bench rest.

I use the same exact load with either bullet and seat them mid cannelure. Remember I worked up to my loads to come up with this statement. Be safe, do your own work ups.

I put a light crimp on the FMJ and none on the SP.

With proper neck tension, crimping is opitional, so do what you like with the crimp.

Some will get better/worse results than me with their accuracy.

+1
I coulda' written this myself.
The only exception is that I've never managed to quite get 1" average groups with the 55FMJs.  In my 20" scoped rifle (HBAR always used for my load development) my average three shot group is 1 1/4".  The 55 FBs are more accurate by a noticeable amount; sub 1" MOA.

I have shot thousands of the 55 FMJ BTs.  They are my "go to" practice bullet for everything, including for my CMP/DCM Match rifle.
(I always load cannelured bullets w/ a crimp; never load un-cannelured bullets w/ a crimp).
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I believe it's the other way around.  Some rifles may feed all different type of bullets and some may not.  Which one's are the imported bullets?  The first i hear of this

OP you bring up a good point about different loads for barrel lengths.  I have a 223 pistol and would love to find a load for a 10in barrel.  A faster powder would obviously be better
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some imported FMJ's are, "Armscor" brand (Philippines}, "Prvi" brand (Serbia) and "Mil Spec" brand is also a Prvi-made brand. Those are not as accurate an the American-made FMJ's, suh as Hornady. "IMI"I brand (Israel) and "Lapua" brand (Finland) make good quality FMJ bullets. The Hornady FMJ bullets in most calibers shoot fairly well.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I have loaded and fired over 10,000 Hornady 55 grain SPs. I have about 8,000 more loaded right now and ready to go. I have c. 12,000 additional unloaded Hornady 55 gr. SPs to load when I make some empty brass. Or, I may just let them sit on the shelf for a cushion.

I have fired over 600 rounds of the soft points in one day. I have never had a misfeed or had trouble with leading on the ramps.

As mentioned above, accuracy is very good. It is also a fine coyote load with reliable expansion.

I have never loaded any of the FMJs, so I can't comment on them. But, it is obvious that I like the SP bullets.

I now load mostly Winchester 64 grain power points, but they are more expensive and are not quite as accurate. These are kind of the poor man's bulk self-defence round.
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 7:58:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have loaded and fired over 10,000 Hornady 55 grain SPs. I have about 8,000 more loaded right now and ready to go. I have c. 12,000 additional unloaded Hornady 55 gr. SPs to load when I make some empty brass. Or, I may just let them sit on the shelf for a cushion.

I have fired over 600 rounds of the soft points in one day. I have never had a misfeed or had trouble with leading on the ramps.

As mentioned above, accuracy is very good. It is also a fine coyote load with reliable expansion.

I have never loaded any of the FMJs, so I can't comment on them. But, it is obvious that I like the SP bullets.

I now load mostly Winchester 64 grain power points, but they are more expensive and are not quite as accurate. These are kind of the poor man's bulk self-defence round.
View Quote

Care to share your powder of choice?
(55gr sp)
Link Posted: 10/3/2013 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

(55gr sp)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(55gr sp)

I used Varget for all of those. About half were loaded to 27.0 grains and other half to 27.5 grains. No pressure signs. Some of my brass is loaded now for the 4th time and still fine. All of my brass is segregated by a lot number I assigned to them, so I can easily keep track of the number of loadings.

After working up my load, I settled on 27.5 grains which was the maximum listed charge. But I got tired of using a drop funnel to achieve the compressed powder charge, so I decided to try 27.0 grains. 27.0 grains fits in the case a little better,but it still takes some care - more attention than I wanted to pay to it at this point in my life. Accuracy is about the same (very good) with either charge in all 9 of my AR15s.

I did all my loading on a Rock Chucker for almost 25 years before getting a Redding T-7 and then Dillon 650 not so long ago. Now I'm switching over to TAC for the easier metering. I offered to give my son 2 unopened 8# jugs of Varget for his .308, but he didn't take me up on it! He's playing around with some other powders. Whenever he gets around to trying the Varget, it will be there for him. I'm not going to use it in .223 rounds anymore. I don't have the patience that it requires.

I'll burn some Varget up playing with loads in other calibers.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 4:35:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I use both bullets, they are more go to "everyday" projectiles.

Have loaded them over IMR 3031, IMR 4198, IMR 4895, H335, and AA2230.

Always accurate, seems easier to find accuracy nodes, and always

high quality from factory.

I would dare say these are the best bullets for the money in

these weights/caliber.
Link Posted: 10/4/2013 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for all your replies I appreciate it. I am going to start at 23.3 of H335 and work up to see where I get the best accuracy.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I worked uip a load for these bullets with 24.0 and also 24.9 of H335 and seat them to 2.230, very accurate under an inch @ 100 yds for both loads
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I use both and found the soft points are a bit more accurate. I attribute this to the SP's flat base. Both cycle just fine in my AR's.
View Quote

This

Those 55 grain SP are sub moa for sure.  Just load them as long as you can.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I use both sp and fmj in my 1:7 and 1:9 ar's.

Both work and function fine with rem 7.5 primers and 21.5gr's of RL 10x.

As a matter of fact I'm gonna load a few hundred tonight.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I've loaded and shot both. Both are good, even though that's already been stated many times already. Only reason I'm posting is I found the FMJBT to be easier to load since they have the BT base and the SP has a flat base.
Not really a big deal, but instead of having to hold the SP carefully in place while I ride the ram up, with the FMJBT, it practically just sits there on its own.

Some people probably won't even care about this. But it was the reason I decided to buy and load the FMJs in the future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top