Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2013 4:02:03 PM EST
If you had you druthers, which would you prefer?

I'm wanting to bulk back up again on some components, since they're starting to become more readily available.

Historically, I've used 62 gr FMJ. But since the above mentioned are the same price, I thought there might be a reason I may prefer the SP...

These would primarily be used for blasting, and SHTF. However, if I go SP, I could use them in other guns as well for ground piggies or other such active targets.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:05:08 PM EST
SP use for defense, piggies, and target practice
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:18:07 PM EST
SP. They are more versatile & just as accurate, if not more accurate.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:25:41 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By coryumph:
SP. They are more versatile & just as accurate, if not more accurate.
View Quote

This. I get better accuracy from the SP's.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:57:00 PM EST
I get extremely good accuracy from the 55SP. They also seem to do the trick out of my 1/7 10.5'' LMT on pigs as well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:02:02 PM EST
Well I guess that answers that.

Thanks guys. Now I just have to swallow this bulk price tag pill
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:05:05 PM EST
Originally Posted By CharlieHo:
Well I guess that answers that.

Thanks guys. Now I just have to swallow this bulk price tag pill
View Quote

It is a hard pill to swallow but just think of all the money you will be saving. Thats the only way i have been able to justify it to the minister of finance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:33:25 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:43:14 PM EST
Yeah the soft point is my 1st choice too. We do a good bit of hunting and an expanding bullet is preferred. I can't honestly say which one is more accurate. I think the general consensus on here is the SP is more accurate even if its just by a small margin.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:26:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By Motor1:
Yeah the soft point is my 1st choice too. We do a good bit of hunting and an expanding bullet is preferred. I can't honestly say which one is more accurate. I think the general consensus on here is the SP is more accurate even if its just by a small margin.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:50:26 AM EST
The soft points are definitely more accurate in my rifle as well. I have some FMJs on hand,
but will only be buying SPs from here out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:58:01 AM EST
I find the SP's are a bit more accurate, but don't sit on the case mouth as easily as the FMJBT.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:36:03 AM EST
Get the SP's.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:45:30 AM EST
I also use both, but if i had to choose it would be the sp.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 10:03:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
I find the SP's are a bit more accurate, but don't sit on the case mouth as easily as the FMJBT.
View Quote

If loading high volume on a progressive press, the FMJBT is easier to use IMO. If your case prep doesn't
involve chamfering the case mouth the flat base of the SP can be a PITA.

If just loading bulk for blasting, I say use the FMJBT. If doing more that blasting, the SP if a better choice.

-ZA
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 1:31:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/4/2013 1:32:39 PM EST by pdg45acp]
If you are only going to buy one get the Soft Point.

Load them in 223 to 3150 FPS.

You can do anything you want with that, plink, hunt (some), practice and Self Defense.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:03:48 PM EST
honestly i find them equal for the most part. Plus the fmj cannelure lines up better for my oal.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:36:09 PM EST
Got the SP on the way. B

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:48:46 PM EST
FMJ has been helping soldiers send their enemy to meet there maker for along time. Just saying.......
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 2:56:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By zlman:
FMJ has been helping soldiers send their enemy to meet there maker for along time. Just saying.......
View Quote

I have ~6-8k of 62gr FMJ left to load, I was just looking to bulk up a little and wanted to try some 55s. I've never tried the SP, though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 3:07:00 PM EST
Originally Posted By zlman:
View Quote

My first choice would not be a bullet chosen by a politician in the Hague in the 1800's that was intentionally picked for its lack of wounding potential. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:41:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:47:34 AM EST
Anyone have any problems with SP not chambering right or getting caught on feedramps?
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 2:26:37 AM EST
As other posters have said those 55 Gr Sp are very accurate. Might have something to do with them being flat base, but they are a great bullet for a cheap price. The FMJ are a little easier to reload as they are boat tail but each has its uses.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:55:18 AM EST
Originally Posted By ZA206:
If loading high volume on a progressive press, the FMJBT is easier to use IMO. If your case prep doesn't
involve chamfering the case mouth the flat base of the SP can be a PITA.

If just loading bulk for blasting, I say use the FMJBT. If doing more that blasting, the SP if a better choice.

-ZA
View Quote

On a progressive press run a Lyman M-die in last station when doing brass prep and the flat base bullets are a breeze
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:28:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:38:22 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 1:48:43 PM EST
Another vote for SP for being more accurate.

Just loaded 1000 FMJ/BT and yes they are easier for bulk loading.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 4:41:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/5/2013 4:43:35 PM EST by CharlieHo]
Originally Posted By angus6:

On a progressive press run a Lyman M-die in last station when doing brass prep and the flat base bullets are a breeze
View Quote

Not familiar with the M die.

I usually do my resizing/depriming on my RockChucker.

Google tells me the M die is sort of an expander die. Would crimping be required after using this die?
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 4:20:40 PM EST
Oh, what a beautiful sight...

Link Posted: 12/9/2013 7:51:00 PM EST
I'd hit that.
Link Posted: 12/9/2013 9:22:48 PM EST

You're going to need about 21 pounds of powder. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:40:24 AM EST
Originally Posted By Saladin2:

You're going to need about 21 pounds of powder. Good luck!
View Quote

Got it covered
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 2:51:44 PM EST
I know I am late to the game but I bought a bulk pack of FMJ. I am now trading what I can for SP. I want some SP for yote and other varmint.

MAHA
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:40:48 PM EST
All those beautiful bullets and in WV too. Hmmmmm.

What powder are you using?

Do we shoot at the same ranges?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:02:04 PM EST
Originally Posted By Motor1:
All those beautiful bullets and in WV too. Hmmmmm.

What powder are you using?

Do we shoot at the same ranges?
View Quote

I've been using Tac recently. Have a few kegs left.

I've not shot at a range for 20-30 years. Nothing locally over 100-200 yards unless you join a club or something

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:08:58 PM EST
Oh. I thought maybe you got some WC-844 or 846.

I have 3 ranges close to me. Two are public. One has 200yd. max and the other 300yd. The 3rd is semi public. If you are a member of the WVRPA this range has up to 1000yd.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:22:58 PM EST
White Horse something-or-other, semi close to me has a 1000yd range, but they have to close all the other ranges, nd it's only used on certain days...

I can shoot a mile on the farm, it's free, and I'm alone. Just gotta watch out for the cow poop.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:33:40 PM EST
Yeah I shoot at White horse. I have farm access too. That is where we shoot milk jugs. By the sounds of it we are not far from each other.

Better stop the GD. Have fun, Motor1
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 6:30:48 PM EST
It seems FMJ's in bulk i.e. Hornady are easier to be found right now. Granted you got to really shop around, but I've seen none of the the SP's out there anywhere in bulk. I would be interested in there availability.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:51:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By supercrew:
It seems FMJ's in bulk i.e. Hornady are easier to be found right now. Granted you got to really shop around, but I've seen none of the the SP's out there anywhere in bulk. I would be interested in there availability.
View Quote

I found them by watching the availability thread. Hint, hint...

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:32:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:30:46 PM EST
Google tells me the M die is sort of an expander die. Would crimping be required after using this die?
View Quote

Sort of is correct. The M die uses a mandrel with two "steps" on it. Most of the neck is sized just under bullet diameter, to provide tension. The last .060" or so is expanded to just over bullet diameter, to allow the bullet to start in the case mouth. It's not a flare, like a trumpet bell - more of a square step. This is a good illustration:

You don't HAVE to crimp after seating, because there's still plenty of surface area on the neck to hold the bullet, but I prefer to. I seat with an RCBS taper-crimp die for .223, and have it set up to just lightly crimp at the very top of the seating stroke. Been working well for many thousands of rounds now, and with the M die case prep, I can even seat flat-base bullets via a bullet feeder, and they don't fall out of the case when cycling from station to station.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:12:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

Take the hint in the last post.

Asking "where to find" questions will get this thread locked.

Ask in the tacked thread at the top of the page is you can't do a search.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Originally Posted By supercrew:

Take the hint in the last post.

Asking "where to find" questions will get this thread locked.

Ask in the tacked thread at the top of the page is you can't do a search.

No hint needed. I'm well aware of that thread, but this thread is "academic" without availability of those bullets. My searches have turned up nothing in the last few months.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:21:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:53:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By Tom488:

Sort of is correct.

<snip>.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tom488:

Sort of is correct.

<snip>.

Excellent explanation. Thank you.

I'll give these a go soon on my 550 and see how they and my fingers get along.

I usually resized on my RockChucker, but, I could just as easily get an extra tool head and put the M die in another station.
Top Top