Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2002 1:04:08 AM EDT
I was wondering if someone would know where I can research historical local gun laws.

For example, If I wanted to find out what the gun laws in New York City were like in 1945, where could I look?
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 4:28:55 AM EDT
[#1]
FindLaw would be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 7/8/2002 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#2]
That's as good a recommendation as one could make for the details.  I can tell you this, from hearing it on various discussion programs about 15 or 20 years ago.  There was a carry permit requirement ("Sullivan" law), and possibly a registration, though more of a formality than anything else.  Bottom line was that in 1945 if you wanted a gun (not carrying) it was quite easy.  In the same year, with a population of 8 million, there were less than 100 (I believe the figure was more like 45 or 50) murders with a gun.  Currently, it's in the couple thousand range.  And the laws are more restrictive.

I think some of the counters to the anti-gun people get too complicated.  The antis contradict themselves with their own comments.  (maybe this is where the original poster is going)

If more crime is logically (anti-everything, bizarro logic) addressed by more gun law, then how come there was less crime when by their own admission there were fewer gun laws?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top