Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2007 7:23:55 AM EDT
I am going to Krylon Camo a new retro carbine that I am building and wanted to get some advice on painting and prep.

First, what should I do to prep my surfaces?

Second, how much time to I allow to cure, and should I use the oven to bake.  If I am to use the oven, at what temperature for what parts, and for how long?

Finally, how should I go about painting a compact ACOG and keeping the paint off of the lenses, tape, cotton, etc.?
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am going to Krylon Camo a new retro carbine that I am building and wanted to get some advice on painting and prep.

First, what should I do to prep my surfaces?

Brake cleaner or carb cleaner work good for me.

Second, how much time to I allow to cure, and should I use the oven to bake.  If I am to use the oven, at what temperature for what parts, and for how long?

The general concensus has been that oven curing krylon will make it brittle and not really accomplish much.  That being said, the times I have kryloned parts, I'll put them in my truck on a nice hot summer day and let them sit all day.  IIRC the can says full cure is in 7 days and mentions nothing about heat.

Finally, how should I go about painting a compact ACOG and keeping the paint off of the lenses, tape, cotton, etc.?

When I did my scope I simply taped off the lens and went to town.

The best advice I can give you is to make sure you degrease well.  Secondly, I would take a hair dryer to all the cracks and crevices and make sure you "cook" all the degreaser out.  Lastly, take your time and use multiple, VERY light coats.  Don't ttry to cover everything in one pass.

Almost forgot...it is mandatory that you post pics when completed.
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Surface preparations (degreasing) is the secret to getting good results with any coating.  Use brake cleaner as I have found that carb cleaner leaves a residue behind which will effect adhesion.  Wear gloves and eye protection when you spray as it is nasty stuff.

+1 that posting a picutre is mandatory.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have any new pics of some Krylon Paint Jobs?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anyone have any new pics of some Krylon Paint Jobs?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=19&t=214547
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:43:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Because Krylon Paint can be damaged by chemicals and wears easy, is there a flat clear coat that can be used with it to strengthen it and make it chemical resistant? I haven't used Krylon for years due to problems I ran into.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:52:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Because Krylon Paint can be damaged by chemicals and wears easy, is there a flat clear coat that can be used with it to strengthen it and make it chemical resistant? I haven't used Krylon for years due to problems I ran into.

Thanks.

Alumahyde II flat clear may be suit what you need.  Brownell's carries it.  Google it and read up on what it is.  I have used it on krylon'd stuff with good results.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:14:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Thanks.

That is why I would suggest it you are going to do a digital or some other complicated pattern then Norrell's or Duracoat is a must.  If it is a random/freestyle type pattern a little wear is on big deal since touch-up would be easier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top