Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2002 7:00:20 PM EDT
I am considering getting a Ruger Mini-30, though I'm tempted to get an AK instead. The only doubt I have is the availability of high-capacity magazines. I have found only one distributor in Shotgun News that carries Mini-30 mags and Cheaper than Dirt has only a small supply of Triple K 20 and 30 rounders (but more than enough for me). Do these mags work well in a Mini-30? Would I be better off with an AK, for which mags are plentiful? Do you know of other sources for Mini-30 mags?
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Bill,

I would strongly recommend against Triple K mags. I bought a couple of 20s for my Mini-14 and one wouldn't even fit in the mag well. The other one fit, but jams up consistently. I'm not aware of any factory hi-caps for the Mini-30. A lot of people say that PMI makes the best aftermarket mag for the Mini-14, not sure if they made them for the Mini-30? PMI mags used to be available from Frank's Center.

Personally I'd buy an AK if you're sold on the caliber. Utterly reliable, and no problem getting cheap hi-caps for those.

Hope this helped.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just found this link to a Thermold mag being auctioned off at Gunbroker. My AR-15 Thermolds work great. Anyone have experience with the Mini-30 version?

http://www.guntrading.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4542722
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't had any problem with my USA 20 rounders for a Mini 30. But many folks have had fits with them. They must be pretty hit and miss, especially the ones that were produced just before the ban. Mine were made much earlier. Thermold made a good high capacity mag for this gun and as far as I know, these are the only hi-cap Mini-30 mags I haven't heard any complaints about. But they are priced at about $100 each......and that is just too much for me.

Between the two guns, I would rather have an AK. Get yourself one of the fine Arsenal SA M7's ot whatever they are called (I may have the letters backwards) and you should be happy. These are more expensive than a Romanian SAR, but a much better rifle IMHO. And mags are really cheap. You can find plenty of great quality Com Block mags for as little as $7 each.

Don't get me wrong...I like the Mini-30 as well. They are a fine gun, it's just the crappy mags. However, if you are just wanting this as a brush gun for hunting or such, the Mini-30 should be fine. The factory 5 round mags work flawlessly. But if you want something that shoots 30 times, just buy the AK.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a mini-30 that I had rebarreled from 308 to 311 bore so I could shoot the Norinco and other surplus ammo.
The USA 10's are the way to go.
The 20's would be my second choice but I don't think the feed lips on any of them have any heat treatment.
The 30's screw up the balance of the rifle and shooting prone is out of the question.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the mini 30. As for high caps, thats pretty easy. When I was in high school I worked in the fishing dept of a local hunting & fishing store. I never shot a mini 30 like this personally, but one or two of the guys in the gun dept used AK high caps in their mini 30s with zero problems. This local store is also one of the largest independently owned gun stores in the southeastern US so the guys behind the gun counter know their stuff.  Use AK high caps and get the mini 30 if you like that gun better.  If you like the AKs then get a good post ban one.  Hope this eases your descision.
Link Posted: 7/9/2002 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for your replies. After reading them, and some other threads about the Mini-30 here and at other sites, I've pretty much decided to get the AK. For the price of the Mini-30 or a little more I can get a Robinson Armament VEPR or an Arsenal Inc. SA M-7. I have seen nothing but glowing reviews of these weapons.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get the mini 30. As for high caps, thats pretty easy. When I was in high school I worked in the fishing dept of a local hunting & fishing store. I never shot a mini 30 like this personally, but one or two of the guys in the gun dept used AK high caps in their mini 30s with zero problems. This local store is also one of the largest independently owned gun stores in the southeastern US so the guys behind the gun counter know their stuff.  Use AK high caps and get the mini 30 if you like that gun better.  If you like the AKs then get a good post ban one.  Hope this eases your descision.

?????
AK mags in a mini30 ?????  Explain that one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 5:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Is there a website where one could find information on the 'Arsenal Inc. SA M-7'?
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is there a website where one could find information on the 'Arsenal Inc. SA M-7'?

Arsenal Inc.'s web site is arsenalinc.com, but there's nothing there except a picture and some phone numbers. ak-47.net has quite a few comments on the M-7. You have to register to use the search facility, "M-7" is rejected by the search engine because it's too short, so you need to search for "Arsenal Inc". This will get hits for Arsenal USA, which is a different company that also sells purported to be good quality AKs. Here are a couple of links that you can browse without registering:

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25378&highlight=arsenal+inc

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68323&highlight=arsenal+inc

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21176&highlight=arsenal+inc+vegas

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4033&highlight=arsenal+inc+vegas

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20931&highlight=arsenal+inc+vegas
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Rudison, are you telling me that you can't shoot mil-surp ammo in a standard Mini 30, ie, 7.62x39? I am confused, but that's normal.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 7:53:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Rudison, are you telling me that you can't shoot mil-surp ammo in a standard Mini 30, ie, 7.62x39? I am confused, but that's normal.

personally I think he's wrong... they come with the .311 chamber with the specific reason being the ability to accurately utilize both US commercial production ammo and foreign surplus.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#13]
This rifle is chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge. This cartridge, traditionally, uses a projectile with a nominal diameter of .311 to .312 inch.
    At the time the mini Thirty was introduced very few bullet makers where producing .311/.312 inch bullets for reloading in the light 125-130 grain weight required. Ruger initiated the use of barrels with a groove dimension of .308 inch and a long tapered throat. The throat allowed the use of ammunition with .311/.312 projectiles by gradually “squeezing” them to the .308 diameter. In addition, ammunition loaded with more commonly available .308 diameter bullets could also be used.
    Commencing in 1992 Ruger initiated a change to using .311/.312 nominal groove diameter, 1-10 inch right hand twist barrels in all mini Thirties. It was likely well into 1993 before all rifles coming of the production line incorporated the .311/.312 barrels.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I would not get a mini 30 if you bought it for me. My brother has one and even he will tell you it is the biggest peice of shit. None of his high caps even fit into his gun. As for using AK mags, unless the gun is very modified, they will not fit, PERIOD. Get a quality AK. It will out shoot any mini 30 easily and high caps are cheap and rugged.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would not get a mini 30 if you bought it for me. My brother has one and even he will tell you it is the biggest peice of shit. None of his high caps even fit into his gun. As for using AK mags, unless the gun is very modified, they will not fit, PERIOD. Get a quality AK. It will out shoot any mini 30 easily and high caps are cheap and rugged.

funny... you malign the gun because some cheap aftermarket mags don't work in it (they don't even fit into the gun...)  Sounds like those mags may not really be of the best quality.  I have a mini 30 and it functions fine with thermolds and even the USA hicaps I have for it.  Never a failure.  I agree a rifle that uses cheap, reliable hicaps like an AK sounds like a better idea but AKs are banned in a lot of jurisdictions where mini 30's are not.
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#16]
My apologies, I checked and the mini 30 i reffered to earlier that used AK mags does indeed have a modified mag well.  I thought he originally said it didnt.  Please excuse my ignorance.

Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:32:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 3:56:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys for clearing that up!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top