Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2009 5:58:04 PM EDT
I'm thinking of picking up a Hi-Point carbine nib for $189...any owners out there?...I wanted to get a simple no frills carbine. Input would be appreciated...Thanks
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 8:55:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It is the only thing that Hi Point sells that works. It is a gimmick. It has a short life and I got tired of it quick. eg. You shoot it all the time but maybe only a box and then it is AR time. They do run like a champ.
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=280937

Cheap reliable plinker.

fun/comfort factor is increased by dumping the factory stock and getting the Advanced Tech. stock.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:32:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Likes; Cheap and it always goes bang.

Dislikes; Ugly

I bought one from a friend for $100. I was going to resell it but my wife liked it so it's now one of her's.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out my post at
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=280937

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:41:41 AM EDT
[#5]
THanks, great info, will pick one up today
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:42:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dislikes; Ugly

I bought one from a friend for $100. I was going to resell it but my wife liked it so it's now one of her's.

Pick up one of the Advanced Technology stocks it it won't be so...

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dislikes; Ugly

Pick up one of the Advanced Technology stocks it it won't be so...

Still waiting for the new Hi-Point stock.

Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:11:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't that the .45?  That thing has been in development since the dawn of time.

I like the carbine.  Cheap, no frills, accurate, reliable, kick-ass warranty and customer service.  It is ugly, but the standard stock points very naturally for me, snaps right up onto target.  Long term durability is a question, but if your warranty repair request is reasonably justifiable apparently Kel-Tec will gladly replace anything and everything.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:08:26 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in the market for one. I'm just looking to gun slum for awhile. I'm tired of my AR's so they will rest in the safe and I'm looking to run a cheap ugly hi-pointe carbine really hard, like lots of mag dumps, not cleaning it, just toss it in the back of the truck, etc.

I'm hoping to find one used or one on the cheap locally, failing that, I'll check out the EE for one. I've got alot of 9mm and a blaster carbine would suite my "wants" very well for right now.

I helped a new shooter sight one in a few years ago and have been kind of interested in them since then. Seems like a fun plinker gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#10]
[semi-hijack] Did anyone see the store owner on TV that was robbed by a guy with a bat?  The store owner pulled out a Hi-Point carbine and the guy dropped the bat and fell to his knees praying for forgiveness.  [/semi-hijack]
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]
They've always been one of the best buys out there, especially for a factory new firearm.  Maybe not as good of a deal as some of the old milsurps, but prices on those have gone up (specifically thinking of the SKS).  10 rounds of what is still some of the "cheapest" ammo out there, hicaps are on the market (albeit they still retain the single stack design of course so they're a bit long). Reliable (I had one that had trouble with 147 grain Silver Bear tho).  Would you want to jump out of a plane with it?  Nope, the construction does leave a bit to be desired.  But as a great plinker, woods gun, range toy, and all around beater I wouldn't hesitate to grab it off a shelf.  And it costs right around what a 10/22 would run ya.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[semi-hijack] Did anyone see the store owner on TV that was robbed by a guy with a bat?  The store owner pulled out a Hi-Point carbine and the guy dropped the bat and fell to his knees praying for forgiveness.  [/semi-hijack]

Yes. And the owner said it was unloaded. He also stated that he keeps it unloaded. Way to advertise to crooks, "come here and rob this store and steal this unloaded gun".

I'd imagine a hi-pointe carbine to be perfect for a store cheapo defense gun..easy to use, cheap to lose if you are a clerk uses it in self defense (LEO's confiscate it as evidence).
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Had one and sold it. Could not get past the awful trigger.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
...if your warranty repair request is reasonably justifiable apparently Kel-Tec will gladly replace anything and everything.

Damn, Kel-Tec sure does have some kick ass customer service if they honor Hi-Point's warranties...

I have a HiPoint and am quite pleased with it. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of reliable >10rd magazines. That said, if I were you, I would save up a little more and try and find a Kel-Tec SUB2000.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:20:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Dammit... yeah, Hi-Point.    Tard moment.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#16]

but if your warranty repair request is reasonably justifiable apparently Kel-Tec will gladly replace anything and everything.

Quite true.  Had my bolt handle get lost in the woods- I hadn't really tightened it enough.  One email to hi point and they had a new one on the way, free of charge.  Say what you will about them, but their CS puts a lot of the big companies to shame.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of picking up a Hi-Point carbine nib for $189...any owners out there?...I wanted to get a simple no frills carbine. Input would be appreciated...Thanks

That's exactly what the Hi Point is.  I've got one that was made in the mid 90s, one of the early ones.  It's the only semi auto gun I own that has never jammed even once since I've owned it.  Can't say that about my AR-15 or my Mini-14 either one.  $189 is a very good price for those these days....I wouldn't pass it up.

Its pluses are reliability and lightweight.  It's also pretty accurate (with my reloads, I can almost tear a single ragged hole in a target at 50 yards).  It's minuses are the durability of the stock and the iron sights.  The stock is fairly flimsy and won't tolerate a lot of abuse.  Mine, for a while, wouldn't hold a 1 foot group at 25 yards because the stock was beat to scrap by the previous owner.  I sent it in to Hi Point for repairs, which were free (another big plus is the Hi Point has a no BS no questions asked warranty), and now it shoots very accurately.  The iron sights never struck me as being all that good in terms of sight picture, and frankly aren't all the that stable.  However, HiPoints come with a scope base, which I would strongly suggest you use to mount a red dot sight or a compact scope.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 4:14:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I went ahead and got it, will shoot in a couple a weeks, thanks for input!
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought mine around 99'.  I have put a few thousand rounds through it and not a single jam etc...  The new stock  in the pics above looks cool.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#20]
+1 on being the only gun I've owned with no signs of eating disorder.
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff16/elemenoel/hi-point.jpg
Accurate enough for P Dogs too!

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Shot one & didn't like it. It felt like junk & was uncomfortable. I love my CX4 Storm though.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Your comparing a $800 rifle to a $200 rifle?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top