Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 3:34:12 PM EDT
http://www.mkssupply.com/carbine.asp

I've been looking into some smaller caliber semi-autos since the only rifle range within 45 minutes of my house only allows single loads.  Anyone know if this is a good buy?  Everyone says its ugly but i like its looks.  Theres a indoor pistol round only range 10 minutes from my house i go to(which is why im looking for a smaller caliber carbine).  Is this a good buy or do u guys have any other suggestions?(that are relatively cheap?)
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:54:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've been looking into some smaller caliber semi-autos since the only rifle range within 45 minutes of my house only allows single loads.  

Can ya explain that one for me, please??????
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
yes it is a decent carbine.  great for the money just stay away from the pistols
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been looking into some smaller caliber semi-autos since the only rifle range within 45 minutes of my house only allows single loads.  

Can ya explain that one for me, please??????

You can only load one round at a time(only one IN THE GUN).  So if i had a semi auto i could only put one round in the mag at a time..kinda no point in having a semi-auto then unless ur just sighting it in.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
yes it is a decent carbine.  great for the money just stay away from the pistols

Are they low quality or is it just a big gamble on the quality(some good some horrible)?  My dad was looking at maybe trying one of their 9mm's out just because they are so cheap.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Its a good gun. Here is a nice looking replacement stock for it:

www.atigunstocks.com/product-hipoint.html

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]
My partner at work bought one 2 months ago as his second gun ( first was a 10/22 ) at my reccomendation, he wanted a cheap , reliable , pistol caliber carbine, and from my research, this is the one he went with, well we took off the irons and put on an inexpensive red dot I had laying around, bought some extra mags, and a sleeve that fits over the stock and holds the extra mags.
Biggest problem we had was that the synthetic stock transferred vibration to your cheek, stung after a few rounds, the sleeve fixed that problem, the red dot is dead on at 30 yards every time with excellent groups, we have had exactly one FTF after about 800 rounds without a cleaning. once it was cleaned, its gone thru another 500 without a hitch. I cant say enough about this gun, and considering the price , I dont think you could beat it with a stick, but if you did, I think it would still shoot just fine.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't listen to these fools........Hi-Point = POS.  Guarenteed to jam after every shot. Cheap plactic
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't listen to these fools........Hi-Point = POS.  Guarenteed to jam after every shot. Cheap plactic

Are you sure you weren't loading the mags wrong?  I heard you have to give them quite a slap or the rounds dont sit right and will jam up.  Or maybe it just didn't like the ammo you were feeding it cause pretty much every review i've read so far said that the only problems were the vibration(which was only an issue with a select few) and the fact that its so light(but a compensator seemed to work pretty good).
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
One of my friends got one of these not that long ago.  We took it too the range and I was impressed.  I agree with the above statement that it stings a little from the vibration, but not bad enough to not want to shoot it anymore.  At 100 yds with standard 9mm we could hit one of those "wet floor" a-frame signs consistently (maybe about 10 or so inches across).  It jammed on me once, the other guys had a little more trouble than me; but they're also new to shooting.  Plus, if it's just for a plinker, who cares about the occasional jam.  Its quick to clear and for the price you can't beat it.  My only complaint is the 10 rd mags.  Other than that, I'd get one if I wanted a pistol caliber carbine.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its a good gun. Here is a nice looking replacement stock for it:

www.atigunstocks.com/product-hipoint.html

www.atigunstocks.com/images/hipoint/HIP9000-MD.jpg

Beretta will be pissed when they see that POS Storm rip off! It does look better then the standard stock though!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I have one.  Fun little gun that goes bang everytime.  Pretty accurate too.  Can't beat the warranty either.  If it breaks, they fix it.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Alright im almost sold.  They got a shipment of them in at Dunhams for 150.  Me and my dad are going to check them out 2morrow.  Unless i cant stand the feel of it for some reason i think im gonna pick one up.  :)  Then its off to shooters with 100 rounds of surplus for some fun.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:49:00 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Alright im almost sold.  They got a shipment of them in at Dunhams for 150.  Me and my dad are going to check them out 2morrow.  Unless i cant stand the feel of it for some reason i think im gonna pick one up.  :)  Then its off to shooters with 100 rounds of surplus for some fun.

And hell even if you dont just love the feel, there is always that stock for just around $50
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And hell even if you dont just love the feel, there is always that stock for just around $50

Yea thanks for the reminder.  Out of 1 of the 2 stocks one should fit me pretty good.  Even if it doesn't, for 200 bucks as long as it shoots straight and reliable i will be very satisfied.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
i'm still waiting for the .45 version...
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:35:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Read again, slowly... this thread is about their carbine.  It is generally known to be very reliable, albeit ugly, low-capacity, etc., etc.  I couldn't stand the one I had for a while (personal bias), but it never gave me any problems and most of the folks here who own/owned them have found them to be trouble-free.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the 9mm carbine, no problems at all with 1000 rounds through it so far.  Yes it is ugly, but at 50 yards, I am more accurate with it and a red-dot than my Bushy...  I have jacketed soft-points I got from Sportsmans-Guide that never fail to feed in it.  This carbine with that ammo is my go-to gun when I hear a bump-in-the-night.

They are good, basic firearms...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Maybe consider the Kel Tech Sub 2000 rifle. It is probably just as, if not more accurate than the hi point, and it folds in half (which is pretty fun and makes it easier to conceal in a brief case or under a truck bucket seat, etc. The Kel Tech is offered to accept most common pistol mags such as Glock, Beretta, etc (you just have to choose which kind of mag it is made for, they are not all interchangeable) and it can take hi cap mags. It is available in 9mm and 40S&W. It is a little bit more money ($75-125 depending upon new or used), and the extra bonus is that if you get the kel tech, you are not buying a hi point
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#20]
I got 1 in 95' or 96', used it for several years with no problems. However it did have a cheap feel in general.   That stock replacement does look much nicer though.  I think it would be cool if it was set up to use Beretta mags or something like that. I gave mine to a buddy in exchange for a ride out of state, and he has since sold it for 80$
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read again, slowly... this thread is about their carbine.  It is generally known to be very reliable, albeit ugly, low-capacity, etc., etc.  I couldn't stand the one I had for a while (personal bias), but it never gave me any problems and most of the folks here who own/owned them have found them to be trouble-free.

Carbine is a POS too.

Had one and after the first round, the FCG broke.  Trigger, hammer, and some other internals just basically broke.

Hi-Point fixed it for free, but I sold it after I got it back from the factory.  Never again.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:38:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Read again, slowly... this thread is about their carbine.  It is generally known to be very reliable, albeit ugly, low-capacity, etc., etc.  I couldn't stand the one I had for a while (personal bias), but it never gave me any problems and most of the folks here who own/owned them have found them to be trouble-free. hinking.gif

Carbine is a POS too.

Had one and after the first round, the FCG broke.  Trigger, hammer, and some other internals just basically broke.

Hi-Point fixed it for free, but I sold it after I got it back from the factory.  Never again.

Well i doubt its a POS.  Maybe urs was but i have yet to read a bad review on it in any magazine article or any in depth internet review.  I've heard a FEW people, such as yourself, that think its not worth the money on messageboards.

edit: either way im gonna go check it out later 2night.  The place im going has an indoor range so maybe i can talk them into trying it out(or maybe they have one for rental to begin with).
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Maybe consider the Kel Tech Sub 2000 rifle. It is probably just as, if not more accurate than the hi point, and it folds in half (which is pretty fun and makes it easier to conceal in a brief case or under a truck bucket seat, etc. The Kel Tech is offered to accept most common pistol mags such as Glock, Beretta, etc (you just have to choose which kind of mag it is made for, they are not all interchangeable) and it can take hi cap mags. It is available in 9mm and 40S&W. It is a little bit more money ($75-125 depending upon new or used), and the extra bonus is that if you get the kel tech, you are not buying a hi point
hr

Is the Kel-tec generaly a better weapon than the hi point or is it mostly a matter of preference?  I haven't really looked into the Kel-tec sub-2000 at all.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:46:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I would refuse (and have in the past) to support the range who advocates that policy and make it my business to inform them WHY. I would rather drive the additional 30 min out of the way or find an alternate means (public range, private property, etc).
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Is the Kel-tec generaly a better weapon than the hi point or is it mostly a matter of preference?  I haven't really looked into the Kel-tec sub-2000 at all.

Having owned/shot both (still have 2 KT carbines), I would say that IMHO the Kel-Tec is a superior PCC in every possible way except price.  YMMV, of course.  
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You can only load one round at a time(only one IN THE GUN).  So if i had a semi auto i could only put one round in the mag at a time..kinda no point in having a semi-auto then unless ur just sighting it in.

WTF good is that? Why would anyone go to a pistol range where you could only load one round at a time? I guess it might be popular with the cap and ball crowd.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF good is that? Why would anyone go to a pistol range where you could only load one round at a time? I guess it might be popular with the cap and ball crowd.hr

Oh no no no, that range isn't pistols only.  You can shoot pretty much anything u want there, only one round at a time though.  I would guess its because the area is getting alot more populated and they are trying to avoid alot of noise complaints so they make u reload after every shot so you dont get a group of guys there with semi autos blasting away and making a bunch of noise.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both, and both are good firearms... Got the Sub2K with the Glock mag...  

Firearms are tools to me. I don't have 'one' hammer, 'one' snap-on screwdriver, etc... There all good
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow.  

Never heard of a range like that before.

Maybe they could nail a coffee can to the front door with a slit in the lid and a sign:

'Donations for sound insulation, so we can stop this ridiculous "one round at a time" business.'

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top