Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 1:09:13 AM EDT
Or bad reviews too. I was thinking of picking up a couple, one for practice and one for the bug out bag. I've heard they can be real accurate but are known to jam. True?
Thanks for you time......Taipan
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:19:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 8:20:22 PM EDT by Dace]

Originally Posted By Taipan:
Or bad reviews too. I was thinking of picking up a couple, one for practice and one for the bug out bag. I've heard they can be real accurate but are known to jam. True?
Thanks for you time......Taipan

IMO its not a good rifle for any survival situation regardless of what the advertiements say.

They can be VERY finicky about ammo, even with good ammo they sometimes really suck.

I would rather have a Taurus pump rifle which breaks down in half. Thats how much I dont like that gun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:19:13 PM EDT
I agree with dace. I have one and while it is fun and neat, they are finicky about ammo. Sometimes even the same very ammo it might have functioned with last time you fired it. I think if I was looking for a bug out .22, I'd get a Ruger and put a folding stock, good sights, get several 25 rnders for it. The Ar-7 is cool, but I honestly do not think I would use as a defensive/survival weapon, mine has just been too undependable.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:29:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 10:52:36 PM EDT by dawg_killer]
Also, I'm going back 20 years here but I had a Charter Arms AR-7 once. What maddened me besides mediocre accuracy was that the front sight was on the barrel, rear sight was on the receiver. Every time I dissasembled/reassembled I would have to sight it in again. (And that was a PITA because of the crappy peep sight.)

If it's still built that way, forget it and go with a 10/22. That's what I did and I never looked back.

(Edit for spelling.... grrr)
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 10:20:50 PM EDT by Taipan]
Thanks...I'm also looking at the Marlin 70PPS.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:16:02 AM EDT
The Marlin or Ruger IMHO is a better choice, the Ar7 is neat but ill fated unfortunately.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 10:48:36 PM EDT by El_Ron]
BAD sights, BAD trigger, FTF, general overall funky-ness in the ones I've used. Do yourself a favor and get something that WORKS in case it's needed in a survival situation. Good marketing gimmick, but if the size is a factor, you'd be better off with a good .22 pistol. Otherwise there are dozens of .22 rifles that put it to shame. Can you tell I'm a real fan?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:42:58 AM EDT
My uncle had one of the original armalite AR7. Total POS accuracy was decent when the thing actually worked.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:02:52 AM EDT
Fun, pretty accurate. Very sensitive to ammo.
I wouldn't buy another.
Why bug out with a weapon that won't shoot any (same caliber) ammo?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:22:40 PM EDT
I think I heard it was claimed the Air Force supposedly issued them to pilots, only a rumor. But, I did check into it and never found any evidence where they were ever used in military, and if they were it belongs in the same category and the Chaut-Chaut (spelling?). Definitley one of my least favorite weapons, I honestly can't even remember the last time I had it out of the safe.........
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:53:08 AM EDT
most of the above is true to some point.

Mine has a specific purpose and it certainly isn't protection.

It is compact and great for hunting squirrels and bunnies and other critters that taste delicious.

After one shot the forset is cleared out so be accurate!

No, it doesn't perform well but you got 1 squirrel one round of .22LR that's all you need. It beats the heck out of carrying a 10/22 around all day looking for food.

Survival rifle, sure
Reliable plinker, not at all.

It does sit right up there on the coolness chart though

Hell, it's the only Armalite I could afford.... and by the way, good replacement mags are impossible to find
Top Top