Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2003 5:18:32 AM EST
I am, foolishly I might add, trying to silver solder a front site ramp onto the barrel of a 20 gauge Mossberg shotgun. The site is a Mossberg product so it sort of "fits" the barrel contour. Any tips on getting the crazy thing on straight? This is my first experience with silver solder. I should say that this isn't the high temp (1100 deg) stuff. Its the Brownell's High Force solder that melts at 475.

Any help appreciated. I'm on my third attempt now.

Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:01:47 AM EST
TWire
Follow solder directions. Both pieces must be CLEAN / NO FINISH. You will need something to hold the sight in place while soldering. The holding fixture should be min. contact to avoid soaking away the heat.
I slide my drillpress vise all the way to 1 side & hold the bbl. in it. Then place a small rod/old bit in the press chuck. Lower the chuck so that the rod touches the top of the sight. Hang a weight on the press to keep some pressure on the sight.
This holds both parts in place with min. contact.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:52:11 AM EST
I'll try it. I have had no problem getting the solder to hold. But when I unclamp the piece, what I had thught to be straight is canted off to the side.

Link Posted: 1/10/2003 8:51:49 AM EST
Twire
Try leaving the receiver attached to the bbl.
Then use a level on a flat side/top of the receiver to asure that the bbl. is actually "top straight up". Then align the sight directly under the drill rod/ pin stock.
This should asure a correct position.
Good Luck.
Top Top