Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2015 1:26:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2015 1:55:44 PM EST by brgator]
I loaded up my new Uberti 1873 with 38 specials after trying 357 mag.

Somehow I got a round stuck under the lifter with another round pushing from the mag tube. The lever won't close. The lifter seems stuck. Can't access mag tube from loading port. Chamber is empty so I felt safe driving home.

I'm not sure about the best method to clear this malfunction. Opening the mag tube seems like a good bet, but it will be under a lot of tension since it is close to full.

Any better ideas? Not a lot of info online about this. It does seem like using 38 special might not be a good idea because of cartridge length.

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 2:59:34 PM EST
How hard is it to remove the magazine on an 1873?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 3:48:16 PM EST
Don't have an 1873, but usually that's not to hard in other lever guns. Check the mag tube end cap. They're usually retained with a screw or pin. Remove it, but be careful, the spring is under some pressure and can launch the cap and spring with some force. Often, the tube is retain in place by a pin in the mag tube hanger, remove it. Then remove the screw/screws for the forearm cap and remove it. The forearm and mag tube should slide forward off the gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:08:33 PM EST
Originally Posted By brgator:
I loaded up my new Uberti 1873 with 38 specials after trying 357 mag.

Somehow I got a round stuck under the lifter with another round pushing from the mag tube. The lever won't close. The lifter seems stuck. Can't access mag tube from loading port. Chamber is empty so I felt safe driving home.

I'm not sure about the best method to clear this malfunction. Opening the mag tube seems like a good bet, but it will be under a lot of tension since it is close to full.

Any better ideas? Not a lot of info online about this. It does seem like using 38 special might not be a good idea because of cartridge length.

Thanks for any help.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/W4DCTDrrlxySp6GLcfyyf6mmibaqzszRBoXR-pkk_pNIeC6LcU5lvUaPLcQlD46nShfGMAEq6MIGWH8RC2rtS3­2CdKQrAuS1D1XjX8DYRwziTkzDiA5RvkPRKNs8HPfZiG_kHPdeCmmwkDgMfYRnh6ausSKUHk7QXijwHzKcc3FwlgJI­opfY8Wk1iHnILF_4y0QyvMaqFdkgdFklJ6Z3O-KdApTRJuI6WWncI8BAJ0EewgyECTSVQ8aJDkOJElCAa8_C22_gJYuguO22TNxCRXUfweOiyyuoYXUndh0zhTqs6aTGrmrY­vyuWEHZmETuBGG4vg59ImGNFpoOZKvldPGvRTpoddO-rVvKMq6TMg9TbgJm1y6ckeP2AemL1Clj_GmW9geaDL4TR2SvB9ZgnrhVVU2fyj8B1_7wudYjx294M7lOfYoSjS6HZxc6dgzxpO55WRS9Hr56IcQ­4pRDaTZuITlbD3f9-OnDZ9I1TZihLSzxVNMvYJbD-YOay9avRsi9q8RD9IFZqOrZMPncfAr52lc9FJhV8Hyd-JuDeet0kv=w660-h990-no
View Quote

All of the following is to be done with the rifle laying on it's right side.
If you are mechanically competent you can carefully remove the left side plate screws and gently tap on the receiver with a rubber mallet. The side plate will pop up and allow you to remove with a slight rearward movement. Clear the jam being careful not to turn the gun upright (so you don't lose the toggle pins) Remove the end cap of the mag tube and remove the live rounds. Use some dummy rounds or snap caps and cycle the action with both lengths of ammo. I am inclined to think there is something (part) that is working out of sequence and tripping the shell latch at the wrong time allowing the shell to get under the lifter. It is also possible that the lever was not closed fully, or the lifter did not go all the way down to the proper position to accept the next round from the magazine. thereby preventing the next round from going into the lifter as the final step in the process prior to firing the chambered round. There are cam-like surfaces at various places in the mechanism that may be worn and not fully accomplishing their assigned tasks. Then there may be some things I have forgotten since I last worked on an 1873. Feel free to IM me and I will see if I can help you out. They are pretty straight forward mechanisms and not generally prone to mis-feeds.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:15:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2015 5:17:16 PM EST by brgator]
I got the gun un-jammed!

First the screws on this gun are so soft that I was unable to remove those related to the magazine tube. Very frustrating. They seemed to have the hardness of silly-puddy. Not sure how I will work around that in the future.

I solved the jam by using two tiny screwdrivers going in through the ejection port on the top of the rifle. One went on each side of the "top" cartridge to push the lower cartridge back into the tube. Once this happened, the top cartridge fell into place and everything worked. I was able to cycle all of the remaining ammo out of the rifle using the lever-action.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. 44-40pro, I didn't see your comment until after the jam was fixed.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:46:18 PM EST
Things must have changed in the last 15 years or so.
The Uberti '73 rifle I had the magazine cap was not slotted and was brazed on to the tube.
You had to remove the entire magazine tube from the rifle.

On the carbine I had back in the early 80's the magazine did have a slotted cap held on by the standard Winchester screw.

I'm not sure how Uberti is getting the '73 to feed both .38 and .357 cartridges.
On both my 44-40 rifles the rifles were very cartridge length critical.
My buddy bought a bullet mold to make bullets for us and we later discovered that he'd ordered the wrong mold.
The bullets were too long.

When loaded into the cases and tried to feed, the the longer over all length prevented the elevator from rising because the bullets would catch on the receiver in front of the elevator.
To use up the large number of bullets, he trimmed the cases off shorter so they'd feed.

Last time I asked about a .357 '73, (which was some years ago), I was told that you couldn't shoot .38 Special ammo because the shorter over all length would allow one round to feed into the elevator, and another round to partially feed, jamming the elevator.

It's also disappointing that Uberti STILL hasn't cured the too soft screw problem on their rifles and pistols.
This has been a problem since Uberti and the other Italian replica makers started importing guns back in the 50's or early 60's.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:07:43 AM EST
Glad you got your rifle un-jammed.

From what I've seen at the few CAS matches I've competed in .38's through a Uberti '73 .357 is very, very common. In fact the first time I tried CAS I used a buddies '73 357 and ran .38's as he did. My last '73 was a .44 Special and I cast and loaded a little 165 gr. RNFP that caused loaded rounds to have an OAL substantially shorter SAAMI specs. 44-40Pro is correct in that '73's are pretty damned difficult to jam if fed proper ammunition.

Regarding the soft screws, I've found the same problem. Just a few weeks ago I saw hardened screws for Uberti rifles for sale somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 6:58:27 AM EST
Any lever rifle can be fussy about what it will feed. If you handload, you can get 38 Special bullets that will give the right OAL of the 357 magnum with 38 Special cases.

There is no cartridge cutoff with the 66/73 Winchester action. So you will just have to find a bullet profile that will feed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:03:31 PM EST
Glad you got it worked out. Mine loves this stuff.

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 12:21:43 PM EST
Love the vertical striping on that stock, Bradd. Beautiful rifle.

I went back to the range today and fired a bunch of .357 with no issue. May try those .38s in your link. Thanks.

BTW, the only other complaint I have with the rifle at this point is that the trigger seems heavy. Without measuring, I would guess over 9-lbs. Any easy fix for that?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:44:30 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By brgator:
Love the vertical striping on that stock, Bradd. Beautiful rifle.

I went back to the range today and fired a bunch of .357 with no issue. May try those .38s in your link. Thanks.

BTW, the only other complaint I have with the rifle at this point is that the trigger seems heavy. Without measuring, I would guess over 9-lbs. Any easy fix for that?
View Quote

My solution was to send it here, but be forewarned. You will not like any stock lever action after shooting a 73 with an action job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 11:50:16 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
Glad you got it worked out. Mine loves this stuff.

http://i61.tinypic.com/33k9953.jpg
View Quote

Very nice rifle! I wish my Uberti / Westerner's Arms 1866 would have wood that nice.
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 7:05:37 PM EST
I found using RNFP work well, I have loaded that for CAS with no issues. It was the LRN that jammed it up real good.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:43:05 PM EST
Avoid SWC like the plague. In mine RNFP and TC bullets work like a charm in both .38 and 357 mag. Don't know if this will solve your problem but it solved mine. Good luck
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:39:32 AM EST
I recently bought a new 1873 Uberti in 357/38. The very first time I loaded it with 38 special factory ammo and went to rack the lever to load a round, it went about halfway and jammed, kinda like what you experienced. I didn't have any tools with me to start taking it apart, so I fedaddled with it and finally got it cleared. It has worked fine since. I have shot more of the same ammo, 38 special reloads and 357 ammo and all have run fine. I think that it being new, it must have had a burr somewhere. It also cycled much smoother after shooting about 50 rounds thru it.
Top Top