Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2011 3:30:42 PM EDT
A friend asked me to look at his grandpa's old shotgun. The slide would move freely- too freely. It wasn't moving the bolt. I looked and the action bar that connects the forearm and bolt had broken in half.
I ordered the part from Numrich but wanted to ask if anyone has taken one apart that far before I do something wrong.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 3:49:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I took my 20 gauge model 67 a part and had no issues. I did use the diagram that I got from the Numrich website and kept it close by. I just used basic tools like punches, screw drivers and etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The exploded parts diagram doesn't help that much. If all I need to do is drop the trigger to access the bolt I really don't want to remove anything else.
From some reading on this shotgun it seems to have a reputation for it's internal parts being difficult.

I think the screw on the left side of the receiver will allow the trigger to drop. I don't know if I need to remove the buttstock to access the bolt and remove the forearm.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The exploded parts diagram doesn't help that much. If all I need to do is drop the trigger to access the bolt I really don't want to remove anything else.
From some reading on this shotgun it seems to have a reputation for it's internal parts being difficult.

I think the screw on the left side of the receiver will allow the trigger to drop. I don't know if I need to remove the buttstock to access the bolt and remove the forearm.

Jim

The buttstock bolt screws into the trigger group, not the rear of the receiver.  Can lead to busted pot-metal trigger group if dropped just right, been there/done that...  
You don't have to remove the stock first but it makes it easier to get back together.    
There's also a pin holding the trigger group in place that needs to be punched out.  Not easy like a Remington 870/Mossberg 500 (or AR15 takedown pins), you'll need a real pin punch & hammer.  The slide release is held in place on the trigger group by the receiver so make sure you have the shotgun sideways with ejection port down or you'll be chasing parts......

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the screw on the left rear of the receiver?

Jim
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is the screw on the left rear of the receiver?

Jim

For the trigger group also.  Doesn't really matter which order you remove but for reinstalling the TG I find doing the front pin first makes it easier...that way you can pivot the rear of the TG up & hold in place while threading the screw in.  Otherwise you'll have to somehow hold the front of the TG up in place while at the same time holding the pin/punch & hammering it in place with your 3rd hand...  

The smaller screw on the upper middle left of receiver is for the ejector...don't mess with it unless you're a real masochist, it's a booger to get back in place without removing the bolt/bolt carrier/etc....another one of those been there/done deals.

<eta> Should have been more clear in my original post....since the stock is bolted to the trigger group it will come off when you remove the trigger group pin & screw, you'll end up with the buttstock & trigger group together.  I always remove the buttstock first because it can be a bit fiddly trying to wrestle the trigger group back in place with the stock attatched.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top