Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2001 12:34:43 AM EDT
I just purchased a Brownell's Colt front push-pin to replace my front pivot pin for my HBAR.

The new push-pin is a few milimeters longer and hence allows the pin a corresponding amount of side-to-side slack. The pin can move a few milimeters between the ball-bearing detent-thingy and the head of the pin (one side of the head has been cut off to fit in one position in the receiver). This kind of sucks.

Is there a better pin or a neat trick to fix the one I just blew $13 on?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Please, doesn't anyone have a tip?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I got mine from Brownells and it fits my Old COLT SP-1 AR15 great.

Link Posted: 11/8/2001 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I got a push pin for my small pin Colt from Bushmaster and it fits perfect doesn't sound to me like it's a Colt problem Troy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 1:41:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Well hell's bells! I am going to have to do two things!

1) contact Brownell's

2) order a Bushmaster made Colt pin!!!

What Colt model did you guys put your pin on?
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2001 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Put mine in a model 6001 SP1.
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 1:51:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the pics and info.

From your picture, I can tell we have significantly different receivers and push-pins. Mine has a cut on the head.

I will check out the Bushmaster, and call them for dimensions too!
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:00:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just purchased a Brownell's Colt front push-pin to replace my front pivot pin for my HBAR.

The new push-pin is a few milimeters longer and hence allows the pin a corresponding amount of side-to-side slack. The pin can move a few milimeters between the ball-bearing detent-thingy and the head of the pin (one side of the head has been cut off to fit in one position in the receiver). This kind of sucks.

Is there a better pin or a neat trick to fix the one I just blew $13 on?

Like Troy said, the pin is a universal fit item. The slight side to side slop will do nothing to affect the rifle's performance. If you want a rock solid tight fit, put the Colt pin back in.

Link Posted: 11/10/2001 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Use your pin.
A few mms of slop affects nothing.
cpermd
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, I solved my problem.

I got an accu-wedge, which required quite a bit of custom cutting and filing to fit properly. It is so friggin tight now. ZERO slop. The only slop is in the hadguard, which will soon be replaced by a free-floater. The push pin transverse slop is no longer a factor.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#11]
If the slop is under the head of the pin, how about filing a small washer to fit under the pin head? You've solved the problem to your satisfaction, but I know how we anal types are.  :)
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#12]
RichWV,

I thought about that, but the problem is that the pin's head is cut flat on one side. This was done so that the pin could sit as close as possible to the reinforcement in the mag well. A washer can't fit. Even a special type of custom cut washer wont fit, as there is just about zero room!!! Maybe I can cut one, but it just won't be secure enough for my taste. The pin can't move now, as the accu-wedge has that sucker closed TIGHT!!! So, I am going to consider this case closed. Thanks for your suggestion, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top