Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2016 10:03:38 PM EDT
So I have $1kish to spend on a can and tax stamp. I've never had one or shot one before.

I want something that is multi caliber compatible.

I have the following calibers I would use it with:
.22lr
.223/5.56
9mm

I think the only one that fits my needs is the Silencerco Hybrid.

Are there others that would fit my needs as well?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#1]
the Hybrid isn't user serviceable, so I wouldn't recommend shooting .22lr through it.

The Optimus is, but I don't believe it's got a large enough bore for .40 and .45

link
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd go Hybrid, but as the other guy mentioned....no .22 if it were me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#3]
What hosts are you going to use it on most?

You need a dedicated .22lr can.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're really adamant about a one-can solution, the Liberty Cosmic would work as long as your .223/5.56 applications have 16" or longer barrels.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Optimus won't do .40 or .45
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't like the one can does all idea. What are your priorities on which calibers you want to suppress?
Based off what you listed I would say get a modular 45 suppressor.
Reason being the only rifle caliber you listed is 223/5.56. You can suppress all of the others with a pistol suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:25:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Two cans. You can make it work for $1200
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:31:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't like the one can does all idea. What are your priorities on which calibers you want to suppress?
Reason being the only rifle caliber you listed is 223/5.56. You can suppress all of the others with a pistol suppressor.
View Quote

Yes, but he also wants to suppress the 556.

Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean it's not the best solution for someone else.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#10]
These threads come up every week, and the answer will always be the same.  There is no magical suppressor that does everything, and you will sacrifice something for the versatility.

To do what you need and do it right you will need two cans minimum, preferably three

Rifle - Razor or Sandman S/L
Pistol - Obsidian or Ghost-M
Rimfire - Mask

Do what you want with your money, but remember - Jack of all trades = master of none

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Post above nails it.

Quoted:

Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean it's not the best solution for someone else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can afford one suppressor. You will eventually be able to afford another. Which is why I said get a 45. It can and will do the job for 90% of what he wants to suppress. Down the road he could buy a rifle suppressor. I asked what his priorities are in suppression then gave my input based on the calibers he wants to suppress. See red. So how about instead of criticizing my opinion you give input to the OP on what he should do or what you feel would be a good option and get him into the suppressor game so he can start enjoying it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These threads come up every week, and the answer will always be the same.  There is no magical suppressor that does everything, and you will sacrifice something for the versatility.

To do what you need and do it right you will need two cans minimum, preferably three

Rimfire - Mask

Do what you want with your money, but remember - Jack of all trades = master of none

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:33:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're really adamant about a one-can solution, the Liberty Cosmic would work as long as your .223/5.56 applications have 16" or longer barrels.
View Quote

Came here to post this. The problem with "do all" cans is they don't do all well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's why these threads come up every week.  Everyone's needs are specific to them.

OP, I don't think there are any cans that are both user serviceable AND .45 caliber or bigger, so you're not going to find what you're looking for right now.  As someone stated earlier you need to prioritize your needs.  You will find a .45 pistol can that will take care of everything but the 223/556, and you will find a rifle can that can do everything but the 22lr.  If it were me I'd prioritize the .223/556 at the bottom since it doesn't suppress well anyway.  This way you can have a one size fits most can for all your other calibers and get maximum enjoyment and sound suppression from the calibers that do suppress very well.  

Also, you can always revisit the idea of a dedicated 223/556 can later if you want to go that route, but suppressing 556 seems almost pointless to me.

BTW: I'm also not a fan of "do all" cans.  Switching hosts, POI shifts, and poor suppression are all things you need to be aware of.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the following fire arms I would use it on:

M&P 15-22 16" barrel .22lr
M&P 15T 16" barrel 223/556
10.5" barrel SBR I just finished 223/556
Glock 9mm
XDM .45
Glock .40
Beretta CX4 Storm .40

Mainly it will be shot most on the SBR, it will stay on the XDM that sits in my top dresser drawer as the main HD gun, or The CX4 .40 that stays behind the bedroom door.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Glock 9mm

XDM .45

Glock .40

Beretta CX4 Storm .40

Mainly it will be shot most on the SBR, it will stay on the XDM that sits in my top dresser drawer as the main HD gun, or The CX4 .40 that stays behind the bedroom door.
View Quote

Two cans minimum (centerfire rifle, cleanable centerfire pistol). Three would be ideal (centerfire rifle, centerfire pistol, rimfire).

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Glock 9mm
XDM .45
Glock .40
Beretta CX4 Storm .40

View Quote

Two, probably three suppressors.

If money is tight, start with a solid pistol can, then a rimfire. Later get a .223 can.

Trust us.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
lol.

Two posts in six seconds recommend the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:16:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

lol.

Two posts in six seconds recommend the same thing.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I know I bought a Optimus for my first can. After that I realized I wanted cans that were dedicated to the caliber, so I immediately bought a 5.56 can and then 2x .22 cans. All I need now is a .308 can.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Rimfire - Mask

View Quote

This is good advice right here.

EDIT:
My plan was to start off with one can, after research, I started with five!  
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top