Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 7:22:47 AM EST
I have a Dillion 550B.

I just got into reloading a few months ago and have mostly just reloaded small batches to get the fundamentals down.

I am now ready to step up the volume. I will be using the ammo mostly for general range shooting, not precision marksmanship.

I have a Dillion trimmer that will be delivered on Friday and I pretty well have the case preparation down pat.

My question has to do with the powder loading. All my powder loading to date has been individual by hand measurement.

I can go with the Dillion powder system but I was thinking of getting a RCBS Chargemaster Dispenser and Scale Combo.

I know the Dillion system will be faster but being an engineer I don't have that much confidence in hand operated mechanical systems based upon gravity and a consistent hand motion.

My intuition is that the RCBS dispenser would be much more accurate than the Dillion.

I don't mind taking the time with the dispenser but I am trying to figure out if the difference in accuracy is really worth while.

I understand I can get a .1 grain accuracy with the RCBS. What can I expect with the Dillon?

Do the electronic dispensers last for a long time? I don't want to shell out $300 for one and it only last a year or so.

Has anybody tried both and reached a conclusion on which system is better?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:45:40 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:47:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 8:48:31 AM EST by AeroE]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:22:44 PM EST
Choose a powder that measures well in a DPM and production runs are easy......But, if you spend enough time down the road....developing loads and finding sweet spots....you can have variances in charges using stick powders that really will not cause too much fussing.......Google Optimal Charge Weight Load Development and you will see about variances....
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:22:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 3:26:26 PM EST by rn22723]
Just remember that Palma Team ammo has been loaded on 550 machines, and David Tubb uses a 550 granted with a fancy scale system of course.

The old saying goes it is poor carpenter that blames his tools. Spend more time learning the craft....and you will gain a lot of insight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:10:05 PM EST
Thebeekeeper1 and AeroE speak from wisdom, grasshopper. It is a wise man who follows the road of wisdom.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:43:45 PM EST
For mass production, listen to the guys and get the Dillon powder dispenser.

If you start to do smaller batches of precision rounds with extruded powders than the RCBS Chargemaster is the shiznit.

I also love the ability for the RCBS to throw incremental loads for development very quickly, accurately, and changing out the powder takes just a minute.

I have both and use both very often.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:46:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By rn22723:

The old saying goes it is poor carpenter that blames his tools. Spend more time learning the craft....and you will gain a lot of insight.

Being an engineer I understand that concept very well. I am in the process of learning the craft. I will be much smarter sometime in the future. In the meantime I am trying to figure out what to do.

I am glad that I can come to a forum like this and ask questions and get the benefit of experience. In a few years maybe I can be one of those dishing out the advice.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:49:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By Scalce:
For mass production, listen to the guys and get the Dillon powder dispenser.

If you start to do smaller batches of precision rounds with extruded powders than the RCBS Chargemaster is the shiznit.

I also love the ability for the RCBS to throw incremental loads for development very quickly, accurately, and changing out the powder takes just a minute.

I have both and use both very often.

I will probably go ahead and get the Chargemaster but use the Dillon powder loader for most of my range loads.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 4:53:09 PM EST
I have been using my 550B for over a year now and it's all standard from Dillon and it works very well for my .308 loads out to 300 and my 9mm loads as well, I have nothing fancy
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 5:59:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By COSteve:
Thebeekeeper1 and AeroE speak from wisdom, grasshopper. It is a wise man who follows the road of wisdom.

Gotta add my 2 cents here. COSteve is correct.

Any of my Dillon powder measures (5) throw ball powder exact to + or _ .1 gr.

Flake + or - .2 gr.

Not so good with extruded without tuning the PM.

Stay with ball powder and the Dillon PM. Even a beginner will get good results.

Top Top