Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2002 6:48:10 PM EDT
Hopefully someone here can help me find a stock for a shotgun I inherited. I got a Stevens M-238A, bolt action, mag fed, 20 ga. It has a cracked stock that is so badly cracked I don't want to bother repairing it. But... I have tried all the gun parts folks, Numerics, jack First, and a few others. If you can help, please let me know. This shotgun has no real monetary value but it does have sentimental value and I'd like to get it up and running.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I can tell of the model #238 40,000 were made between 1936-45.
Given how many of these were made for another company I/E Sears, It may be a pain to find.
Pick up a shotgun news and start calling, starting with Gun Parts inc., if they don't have it ask very nicely if they have someone there that may know, somone old and crochity.
Given the complete guns value is in the $50-$175 range You may end up buying a complete gun for $50 and salvaging the stock, I've had to do this a few times.
Don't give up on repairing, I have put together a couple of stocks that were broken in half and you can only see the seem if you know where to look.
The trick is to make it look like part of the grain, by painting in some darker grain surounding it, fake grain if you will.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the intel, yeah, I am already looking for a salvage gun cause gun parts, and the other parts places don't have and don't know where I can find the stock.Thanks for the info on the model # and production #'s. I've never encountered another m-238 but hopefully I can find a parts gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top