Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 7:44:35 PM EDT
Ok, since it looks like Im going back to Ohio again for Thanksgiving, it would be a shame to go so close to the North Store again and not get another Garand.

If I get the woodless I can prolly swing a couple easy. Slowly build them to suit.

If I get a Field/Rack/Service, it will be one.

Either way, from my last trip, I pretty much buy ME first. TE second, and everything else to include overall condition and serial number last.

I want to hit what I shoot at and they backup any broken parts.

Help me choose please.  If it was you......

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
two woodless....  you will never regret having multiple garands.

i did the exact opposite of you when i was at the south store a few weeks ago.  i was in the market for a woodless, but quickly gave up on finding a decent barrel.  all the ME's were >3, and i already had a new barrel at home waiting for a home, so i got the lowest 2nd lowest SN there.  I didn't get THE lowest SN because that one had a beretta bolt, and i wanted the SA bolt in the one that i got.  took it home, cleaned it up, and took it to the smith the next day.  while it was away i got some wood in for it, and just picked it up yesterday....

it's the one on the bottom, my greek return FG is on top:

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
two woodless....  you will never regret having multiple garands.

And that would let me use my stacking swivels and no a 1903 doesnt count.

i did the exact opposite of you when i was at the south store a few weeks ago.  i was in the market for a woodless, but quickly gave up on finding a decent barrel.  all the ME's were >3, and i already had a new barrel at home waiting for a home, so i got the lowest 2nd lowest SN there.  

If all the barrels are crap, I will probably have to go for a built rifle. From various reading I guess there are some decent barrels here and there. Fingers crossed!

FWIW, It my understanding from reading that NIB barrels can go over a 1, and its not shot out until its an 8+. I guess I will have to just wait and see.

Two versus one.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:04:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I voted complete rifle.  I like them better.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
More is always better!  Any C&R collector knows that!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You better check to see if they are open on your planned visit date. I think they close during holiday weeks.

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You better check to see if they are open on your planned visit date. I think they close during holiday weeks.

My BIL, who I took up there with me last year, already got the dates (and I double checked them) and he told me.

Sister aint so happy with me, he aleady told her he IS gettign a Garand!

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I may as well accept that I am probably going to have to order another one....
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Two woodless, built one into a .308.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]

There will be no .308 Garands in my herd.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm gonna have to go with Cav Vet on the no .308 M1's

- it's original as a .30-06 unless you bought a Navy garand
- .30-06 is available on m1 clips in large supply

As far as 1 rifle vs. 2 woodless, you really can't make that decision until you're in the store and looking at the product available.  Condition matters.  You might find a woodless with lockbars or something in the gas trap s/n range or something else really really cool.  The same can be said perusing the field grade and rack grade racks.  You might find a former M1c with the tapped holes that could be restored.

So I'm jealous and wish I could be there for the treasure hunt!  until then I'll keep mailing orders in and take little finds as they come, like the IHC trigger groups and the winchester wide ear sights that I can swap around and make the correct rifle to satisfy my jollies later.

Good luck on the shopping!
SoS
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Three woodless  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Three woodless  

Get a job!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top