Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/19/2008 12:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 12:57:57 PM EDT by BaileyMoto]
I already have a 10/22 and a Marlin 60W, but I am now wanting something a bit different that isnt an auto. I'm leaning towards something with a nice finish, either stainless or brass. I think I have narrowed it down to two rifles, but I am open to suggestions. I want something with a bit of a historical look, and I think these 2 fit that well. This gun will primarily be used with CB long rounds (which wont cycle an auto, anyways) in my backyard, and I *may* decide to mount a small scope on it. Ive noticed the Henry website shows a scope mounted to it, but says it requires installation of a gunsmith, so no idea what work is involved. The pump would probably never get a scope.

With that said, the Taurus is a bit cheaper, ive found them under $300 and the Henry ive found right around $400, maybe cheaper at Walmart, not sure.

Any suggestions? I really like both, although I think I may be leaning towards the Henry. Any other suggestions?

www.henryrepeating.com/h004_goldenboy.cfm

www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=421&category=Rifle
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:02:06 PM EDT
I just sold a Henry .22l standard (black reciever) for $180 used about 90%.
The sights SUCK. You had to try to bend them to adjust. There were screws in the reciever that looked like you could put scope mounts on it. It was pretty accurate, and having the exposed hammer was cool, esp for huting. Ultra reliable. All in all a fun gun, just wish they had the same sights my 10/22 came with.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:10:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 6:14:05 PM EDT by nihilsum]
Both will make fun rifles, no question of that. I would add a tang sight to whichever you buy. That will improve your sight picture and the rifle's potential immensely while maintaining a classic look.

That being said, get a Marlin 39a

Mine was my first firearm. I have not had a single issue with it in (now upwards of 7,000 rounds). It's built and handles like a centerfire.

Here it is in action several years ago:

ETA to insert picture
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:17:19 AM EDT
I have a henry golden boy 22 mag engraved and love it it's a great little shooter.. if theres a problem they will take care of it,
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:29:28 AM EDT
I 've had a Golden Boy .22 LR for about 3 years now and I love it.
I punched out two quarter sized groups at 25 yards just yesterday.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:16:28 PM EDT
Shot one of the Henry's and loved the lever. SO SMOOOOOTTTHHH! Get the Henry hands down.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:35:36 PM EDT
While not one of your choices, I got the H001T and simply love it. It's now my favorite 'fun' gun next to my tack driving CZ453. Henry makes a great gun. You may or may not like the sights.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:07:54 PM EDT
I have a winchester 9422 mag and winchester 22 pump 270. It is fun to be able to shoot faster than the auto's with the pump. Mine is really accurate also. But lever's are a lot of fun also. Try them first if possible.
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 9:22:20 AM EDT
WInchester 9422, you cant beat them. Shell out the extra cash and buy a quality firearm. I have a orginal winchester that the Modle 60 is based on, very light, strait shooter to.
Top Top