Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2004 8:47:23 PM EDT
Ok, I'm going to save up money for a nice knife. I've pretty much decided on a Benchmade. However, if you can give me a good choice not to choose this brand, I'll think about it. Now, here are the two models i'm looking at buying... www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.asp?model=420 and www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.asp?model=520. Which one would you choose and why? BTW- I'm going to get the SBT model either way, which is a coated blade and has the combo edge. Thanks, Mike.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
can't speak for the 420, but the 520 is a very robust knife. i almost got one, but chose the 710HS instead (better steel, and felt better in my hand). take a look at the 710HS, but if it must be one of these two, choose whatever looks/feels best to you--everything else is pretty equal between them except handle material and blade shape. i strongly suggest you handle them before buying--i was dead set on the 520, until i held it and decided it wasn't for me (and then held the 710HS, which i never thought about before, but purchased once i handled it).
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm going to 2nd the  model 710  McHenry & Williams 154CM,  this is a beauty. Everything Benchmade makes is top quality, great knife company. I also like the 420 Snody design.

Now, I have two problems with your intended features,

1st , coated blade,  they get to look like crap real quick, the coating scratches and comes off, not needed, a little CLP to clean and protect the metal and 154CM holds up very well.

2nd, blade serrations,  they are not neccessary and have very, very limited uses, besides it destroys the beauty of the blade design, a lot of time is spent shaping the blade and then a nice consistant edge is put on, only to be destroyed by serrations.

This is just my humble opinion, let us know what you deside on.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a lot guys!! I'm most certaintly going to take your advice into thought! I'll let you know what I decide on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I've thought about it a lot and come to my senses. I'm 16 years old... and while a $190 knife would be very nice to have, it is a little outta my league. I was just at my local sporting goods store and saw this knife... www.gerberblades.com/products/view.php?model=5861. It was $60 and I think this would be a perfect knife for my needs. It fits very well into my hands and is very light. I'll be getting this knife when I have the money.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Benchmade has knives in the $60 - $70 price range.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Benchmade has knives in the $60 - $70 price range.  

Yeah, that's true, I'm gonna look at those too I guess lol.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
The Benchmade Pardue is next on my list, its time to replace my badly abused emerson hard wear knife, after a few years of constant hard use on it rock climbing, etc. (it got used more than once to start a piton...eventually broke the tip off prying two fittings together.) I really like the design of the pardue, just wish I could get it about a quarter to a half inch longer for less than 20 dollars more.....then after I buy that, I think a Wave is in my future, followed by a rescue hook. (Looks like that would be awesome for a deticated rock climbing "knife".

John
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 11:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was just at my local sporting goods store and saw this knife... www.gerberblades.com/products/view.php?model=5861. It was $60 and I think this would be a perfect knife for my needs. It fits very well into my hands and is very light. I'll be getting this knife when I have the money.

I've been using this knife (serrated blade model) every day for well over a year now (I won't even consider buying a knife without a serrated blade any more) .  It's fantastic... No it's not high $$ or loaded with fancy components but, it's very functional.  

The open spine means it doesn't collect alot of lint/debris in your pocket.  I've had yet to have the clip become dislodged or pull out of the scales, & the lock-up on it is fantastic

I use a diamond sharpener on the non-serrated portion of the blade approx. every 2-3 weeks...the serrated portion is still exteremely sharp(finger healing at this writing having
For a knife you intend to use more as a tool than an accessory I can highly recommend it.  Fantastic for EDC.  Hope you're happy no matter what you decide upon.

Respectfully,
Automatic
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Buy an Emerson. I've owned 6 or 7  Benchmades and one Emerson. I just don't need to buy another. I only carry the Emerson and it saved my ass one time.

ETA: You can't go wrong with a Benchmade, they're good knives. I just prefer Emerson.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#10]
From those two, the 420, BM and Snody... kick ass.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 1:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
i agree w/ you about the price thing.  in addition, i lose my knives all the time, so i would just hate my self if i lost a $200 knife.  but, benchmades are great.  and i really wanted an axis lock, so i recently order a Mini Griptilian from Emergeny Options for $53.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Mel Pardue 720BT2 and I love it.  I really like the Axis lock.  Its simple and very strong.

720 Mel Pardue

Remman
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#13]
While at the local sporting goods store yesterday I decided I want a knife now. They don't carry Benchmades, but they did have the Gerber I mentioned earlier. I took a look at it and had an impulse buy. I'm not upset in anyway with my purchase though. It is VERY light, and it fits very well in my hands. The lightness is the best, because I will be using this knife on backpacks where ounces count. Just thought I'd let ya guys know.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:43:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I think you made an excellent choice, that model is made very well, using quality materials.

Also, I like the looks , nice blade shape.

Now we need to get you a quality fixed blade model.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#15]
hapjack, thanks for the compliments!! As for the fixed blade knife... I gots me one of these baby's...
www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1211&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Military/Tactical
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 6:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
hapjack, thanks for the compliments!! As for the fixed blade knife... I gots me one of these baby's...
www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1211&mode=category&categoryId=1,2,3,7&categoryName=Military/Tactical

Another good working knife, can't go wrong with a Kabar, inexpensive and tough.

This is something elese you need for your pack,

www.leatherman.com/

www.sogknives.com/tools.htm
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Columbia River (CRKT) makes some very nice and inexpensive folders.As far as serrations,I prefer a partially serreated blade ON A SMALL KNIFE mainly because it cuts heavy rope well .You may not need the serrations but it will be there if you do.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#18]
FWIW, these are much better knives than the ones your looking at, both in steel and lock strength:

www.coldsteel.com/recon1.html

Mike
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Masters of Defense make a better knife than Benchmade I think.  I have a benchmaded that I have had for about 7 years and Havent carried it for a long time and I am just not too crazy about it.  I think the construction and craftsmanship at MOD is flawless.  Just my opinion.  I just picked up a microtech last weekend.  WOW what a sweet knife.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:40:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I have spent more $ on knives than I care to admit. My main gripe is when the pocket clip doesnt securely hold the knife to my pocket. I have had this happen with MOD, Microtech as well as an old Benchmade knife. My recomendation is to buy this knife:

www.agrussell.com/knives/by_type/folding/locking/kabardozier_thumb_notch_folder.html

This is easily worth twice the price. I gave two of them to my brothers as Christmas gifts last year. Best $19.99 I ever spent.

.....good secure clip, too
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top