Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2008 6:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/6/2008 6:14:27 PM EDT by semperfiws6]
I wish there was a cooler story behind this, but its not that interesting. Although my Grandad is a veteran, he served in korea. He was given this by a friend of his in Milwaukee after doing some transmission/car work for him. Heres what I know about it. It was made in U.S.S.R. in 1933 (stamped on upper, along with the hammer and sickle that didnt show up in the picture). It is chambered in 30.06. It passes the function check and the rifling in the champer is strong. He told me that the elevation sight was added, but I dont know. I told him I was going to a gun show in Savannah in a few weeks and he told me to see if I could trade it for an M1.

I dont know much about C&R guns, so I am turning to arfcom for help. What exactly is it, how rare and what is it worth? If other pics would help, let me know. Thanks for your help!!

Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:17:40 PM EDT
Looks like a Russian M44 that has had its stock cut back (sporterized). Isn't worth that much and there is no way on earth you will be able to trade it for an M1. Sorry.

M44's currently sell for approx $100.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:19:38 PM EDT
Sorry but that Mosin has been bubbatized and is worth about 50-75 bucks. Enjoy it for what it is and be happy you got it. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:20:46 PM EDT
Also unless it has been rebarrel or sleeved it is NOT chambered in 30'06 but in 7.62X54R DO NOT SHOOT 30'06 in it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:25:40 PM EDT

Bannerman Conversion?

At any rate, it's unsafe to fire if it's indeed a 30-06. A trip to the gunsmith to do a chamber cast is in order to see just what you have.

ZM
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:39:47 PM EDT
Well I do appreciate the responses. I wish there was more to it, but oh well. So this is a Mosin Nagant that has had the stock cut back?

And the only way to tell the caliber is to take it to a gunsmith?
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 6:45:26 PM EDT
$25-50, tops. By the year, I would guess that is a bubba-ed 91/30 rather than a bubba-ed M44 or M38.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 10:02:48 PM EDT
Better safe than sorry, take it to a gunsmith to check it out.
Link Posted: 7/6/2008 10:46:07 PM EDT
91/30
Link Posted: 7/7/2008 7:59:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By semperfiws6:
Well I do appreciate the responses. I wish there was more to it, but oh well. So this is a Mosin Nagant that has had the stock cut back?

And the only way to tell the caliber is to take it to a gunsmith?

DISCLAIMER .44 MAG IS UNSAFE TO FIRE IN A MOSIN NAGANT. DO NOT EVER TRY. IT MAY VERY WELL KILL YOU. THIS IS SIMPLY AN INDICATION OF THE DIAMETER OF THE CHAMBER.

REMOVE BOLT, FIRING PIN, AND FIRING PIN SPRING

The 7.62x54R case is "fatter" than a .30-06, and has a head simililar in size to a .44magnum. See if a .44magnum case/snap cap fits into the chamber if it does it is NOT a .30-06
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 11:08:16 AM EDT
7.62x54R has a very prominent rim at the base.

The bore for a 54R Mosin will also be in the .311 to .313 inch range. I don't know if Bannerman conversions were rebarreled to true .308.

There are a handful of indicators (not determinors, only 'probablies') to tell what it's actually chambered for now, but in your case the safest surest bet is almost definitely to take it to a qualified gunsmith.

Have him check the bolt head, the chamber, slug or measure the bore (at the muzzle AND the breech), the whole list.

If it has been rechambered in any way and he's worth his salt, he'll also take a close look at the condition of the barrel and chamber to see if it's safe to shoot at all.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:10:08 PM EDT
the elevation sight is standard issue Mosin. from the date, I would say it's a bubbad 91/30. 30-06? I doubt it..have it checked by a gunsmith that knows c n r guns.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 6:47:18 PM EDT
If its stamped "made in USSR" that usually means its from the spanish civil war. You can buy a new stock for the 91/30 and it should fit if the barrel hasnt been cut.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 12:00:18 PM EDT
Get some Cerrosafe from Brownells and make a casting of your chamber. Follow the instructions then measure the casting and it will tell you what it is chambered for. You can find cartridge dimensions on the internet. I'd start with the 7.62x54 and if that didn't match go to the 30-06.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:49:27 PM EDT
The bore for a 54R Mosin will also be in the .311 to .313 inch range. I don't know if Bannerman conversions were rebarreled to true .308.

THE BANNERMAN CONVERSIONS HAD THE BBLS SET BACK A TURN OR SO AND RECHAMBERED...

THE MARKINGS ON THE BBL ARE NOTICEABLY 'CUT OFF' A BIT........

AND IT WOULD HAVE TO BE A N.E.W. TO BE A TRUE BANNERMAN CONVERSION, AS WELL AS HAVE A BLUED BOLT HEAD(MOST LIKELY).....

BUT NOT ALL CONVERSIONS TO 30-06 WERE DONE BY THE BANNERMAN COMPANY....
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:42:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/22/2008 4:44:20 PM EDT by skywarp989]
That was a 91/30. Hard to tell from the pics if the front sight is correct or not (some early 30's guns had blade front sights instead of the post/globe setup).

It could have been converted to 30-06, but not by Bannerman, as stated. They only worked on U.S. made Mosin rifles and they set the barrel back and rechambered it. Even with those "correctly done" conversions the safety is questionable. The fastest way to tell if it's been modified is if the bolt face has been altered. 7.62x54r is a rimmed cartridge while 30-06 is not. For it to work with 30-06 shells, it would have to be heavily modified.

The rear sight is wrong, too, so that makes me suspect that it is some kind of (unsafe) conversion. Also, the front action screw is obviously not correct. Don't try to shoot it until you make sure that that screw is securely holding the bottom metal to the action... it looks like a wood screw in there right now.

Best case scenario, it's in its original 54r and you could shoot it as-is. Value: $30-$70. Not M1 territory, unfortunately. Worst case scenario, it's been crudely modified to 30-06 (I can't imagine how, since 54r is a much wider and shorter cartridge than -06) and is unsafe to fire and is worth the sum of its unmodified parts ($15-$30).

Original, unaltered Spanish Civil War (stamped "MADE IN USSR" or "MADE IN URRS") 91/30s with matching numbers can be worth up to $300. Bummer.
Top Top