Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 3/29/2009 3:31:35 PM EDT
Without identifying the guilty parties, I need some input to settle an argument.

Party #1 states:

When cleaning a firearm's chamber (more specifically the GSG-5), one may use a brass brush to do so, after all, that's what most cleaning kits include. Brass bore brushes. It's not only ok, but a good idea.  Anything else is silly.

Party #2 states:

Use Nylon only. The aluminum chamber etc will react and cause a reaction between the two dissimilar metals, causing the chamber to corrode/disintegrate earlier than it should.

Any takers?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it would only be a problem with prolonged contact. After all, the cartridges you feed through it are brass too.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't offer any insight into using a brass brush in the aluminum chamber (although, since they are both soft metals I can't imagine it would hurt).

The galvanic reaction on the other hand (corrosion caused by dissimiliar metals in contact with each other) takes time to occur. It is not something that is going to happen during the time it takes you to clean the weapon. You could leave the brass brush in the aluminum chamber while you were gone for a weekend and it would not cause corrosion.

Google "galvanic reaction".
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The chamber is not alluminum.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+10000
What the heck is party #2 smokin?
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Chamber and barrel are stainless steel.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:15:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Brass is used in plumbing to prevent the "galvanic reaction"
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 7:34:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Chamber and barrel are stainless steel.

I don't think it is stainless steel since the barrel will rust, I could be wrong but I have never had rust on my SS AR-10 barrel.
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top