Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 10:34:32 AM EST
Hey guys, I found a bunch of old files at a years sale. All different sizes and cuts. Most have surface rust and some down in the grooves but I did not really see deep piting when sprayed with and wiped down with WD40 and hit with a file card.

My question is how do you clean up and restore old files?

I have been wondering about trying one in a "electrolysis," bath. Has anyone ever tried this?

I had origninally bought them for possibly making into knives but when I got to really looking at them, there was some really great potential there for use!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:28:39 PM EST
A trick I learned of in a machining magazine was to squesh the end of a 30-06 case flat and then use it to push out the crud between the teeth.Probably most know this one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:48:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:50:43 PM EST
Sandblast them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:42:22 AM EST
Zep Rust Remover which can be found at Home Depot (gal jug) works pretty well. I haven't tried it on files, but I aquired a set of Starrett pin punches with heavy surface rust and an overnight soak in the rust remover cleaned them up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:49:44 AM EST
I used to know an old timer that had worked for Edison. He told me that they soaked used files in sulphuric acid to resharpen them. IIRC he said that they'd do them about 3 times until they threw them out. I guess the acid etches the edges to a sharp profile.

Never tried it myself, maybe I should.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:55:51 AM EST
Top Top