Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 2:33:39 PM EDT
HEy all,
Well the club I just joined has 3-gun matches, so I thought I'd try it. Now I have a 870 Express HD (the 8 shot one) and I was wondering what mods I should get. I don't to make it into a crazy "gaming gun". Here's what I was thinking...

Scattergun Tech Trak-Lock sights
Lengthen forcing cone
polish inside of barrel
Install Vang safety
Swap out 8 shot Remmy mag tube with Wilson one (it just seems more sturdy than the Remmy one)
Flexitab
Hi Viz follower
six shot sidesaddle
Parkerize

Anything else?

Rich
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:15:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:23:04 PM EDT
Thanks Templar,
Are you in NoVa by chance? I'm trying to find a 'smith to do the work (I don't have a lot of time) and NoVA is within driving distance.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:24:41 PM EDT
Tag for accessories. 870 police is next on the list for me....great shotty Tim!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:28:06 PM EDT
If you feel you have to use it for HD, put a Surefire on it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:28:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 5:41:44 PM EDT by ikor]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:35:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:38:05 PM EDT
You mean you want something like this???

Details:

870 HD (model 5077)
Factory extended mag tube
Surefire 618FA forend light
Sidesaddle 6 shot carrier
Choate pistol grip shoulder stock
Specter Gear 3 point sling
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:44:16 PM EDT
YEah,
I'm not really getting into it to be a serious competitor (I just don't have the time or money), I just want to improve my skills and have fun. Also, I hope they go with big boy rules. I think it would be fun (and an excuse to break out the M1A ). I know in SASS, the guys that shoot watered down .38SPL so they can get a better time piss me off.

Lumpy,
Yeah, I have the 918FA on my list. I'm definitely in the "less is more" camp.

I was also thinking about chokes. A regular on SC posted this a while back about it...

"My next choke was the Pattern Master “Police Fist” choke. This choke is designed to be used with Federal Premium Buckshot. The principle is to strip the cup/wad away from the shot column before it exits the muzzle. This allows the shot column to move away without disruption by the separation of the cup/wad. It works. This combination will deliver all nine to an IPSC target at 40 yards, yes folks that’s 40 yards."

Now, when you have a choked shotty, you cannot use slugs, correct?
In all honesty, I'm not sure what the Flexitab system is and what it does. I've just heard lots of guys say it's necessary in a "tactical" 870. Could someone enlighten me on that one?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:11:51 PM EDT
can somebody explain the factory extension tubes?
I have a 870 kit marked Police and it won't go on my regular 870 Express Magnum, the threads aren't compatible
Do you have to get an extension tube that is made just for the Police, HD, and Express Magnum?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:13:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Gunner:
I have a 870 kit marked Police and it won't go on my regular 870 Express Magnum, the threads aren't compatible
Do you have to get an extension tube that is made just for the Police, HD, and Express Magnum?

My HD came from the factory with it installed. Besides, Remington clearly states their LEO products are not compatible with the Express series...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:31:21 PM EDT
Thanks Nationwide...man they really hide the 5077 Home Defense in their site the best they can...almost like they don't want you to find it No special mention of it like any other shotgun, just squirrel it away under the 870 synthetic and don't even mention HD or Home Defense.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:44:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ikor:

Originally Posted By 1Gunner:

That is the first I have neard of this. IIRC, when you buy a Wilson or other extension you only need to say it is for "an 870". The Express does have the tabs pressed the mag tube...are you certain this...and not the threads...is not the prublem? (although I really don't see how it could be if the threads were not compatible) In the past, I have used factory 870 extensions on Express shotguns, but it was several years ago.

Years ago, I made an attempt at a "tacticul" 870, and obtained a Police +2 extension. You are correct that the tabs are the problem, and they require removal for the extension to work. I shot a nice 4 pt Buck with that shot gun, and couldn't get it to cycle, because the spring hung up on the tabs. Luckily, at 75 yards, I dropped him with one shot. Luckily.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:17:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 7:39:30 PM EDT by 1Gunner]
I could be wrong about the threads, it just feel to me like I am really screwing up the threads, they just feel wrong, I hate to look at the threads every time after I give it a try. But it does go on but it is wobbly as all get out cause the threads on the extension are so few. Thanks for telling me about the tabs though, I'll forget about the extension on the express.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:20:49 PM EDT
Personally I would add one of the copstocks. The regular one claims 55% reduction in recoil. The new pistol grip style supposedly reduces 75%. That should give quicker times and make practicing a lot more fun. If the rules dont allow it I would go with a Simms vibration dapener and one of the in stock
mercury units. I would also look at a good screw in choke to increase pattern density and extend range a little. I have been in law enforcement for over 18 years and during that time I have always shot rifle sights. As part of our qualifing we have to shoot everything from skeet to pepper poppers.
If your gun already has rifle sights I would go with a set of fiber optic sights. Very fast to pic up in daylight. As far as the side saddle, I have had one for years. Our current patrol cars shotgun locks wont except them. I have been looking for alternatives. I found two 3gungear.com sales some made with webbing that will hold up to 8 rounds and they are not hard plactic. The NEATEST one I have seen is being made by Essential Tactical. You can see pictures of it on pages 22-24 on the shotgun picture thread. Basically you apply velcro to your shotgun's receiver. Theses "cards" hold seven rounds of gauge and have the other side ov velcro on them. You can just change out the preloaded cards as needed. You could also put another section on your stock giving you a total of 14 rounds on weapon.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:51:09 AM EDT
Also,
As much as this sounds lame, I'm not big on the Remmy mag ext. because I don't like the looks of the barrel clamp.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 5:00:40 PM EDT by ikor]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:04:17 PM EDT
didn't know the collar could move, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:50:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Trumpet:
Also,
As much as this sounds lame, I'm not big on the Remmy mag ext. because I don't like the looks of the barrel clamp.

Rich

You dont have to use there barrel clamp. Maybe port the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:01:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By M4-TUNA:

Also,

Rich

Is the Remington mag extension strong enough to be used w/o the clamp? I know the Wilson and the Vang are, but they're also much heavier.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2005 4:14:35 PM EDT by M4-TUNA]

Originally Posted By M4-TUNA:

Also,

Rich

Is the Remington mag extension strong enough to be used w/o the clamp? I know the Wilson and the Vang are, but they're also much heavier.

Rich

U can use a different brand clamp, that is what I was saying to you Rich. I would not run anything more then 2 round extension without one, But I dont know if you could go with it without the clamp. Look in Brownells web sight for different clamps .
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:26:14 AM EDT

HEy all,
Well the club I just joined has 3-gun matches, so I thought I'd try it. Now I have a 870 Express HD (the 8 shot one) and I was wondering what mods I should get. I don't to make it into a crazy "gaming gun". Here's what I was thinking...

Scattergun Tech Trak-Lock sights
Lengthen forcing cone
polish inside of barrel
Install Vang safety
Swap out 8 shot Remmy mag tube with Wilson one (it just seems more sturdy than the Remmy one)
Flexitab
Hi Viz follower
six shot sidesaddle
Parkerize
Anything else?

Rich

is your 870 an older one? if not you probably don't need the flexi tab conversion. the 3 gun matchs in my area doesn't do any long range slug shooting (yet), so far my 870 w/ the bead has been fine. although i occasionally do get tempted to get the SGT ghost ring set up.
i like my personnal 870 w/ SGT mag extension much better over the factory mags w/ work 870's.
otherwise, sounds like you got a nice set up brewing.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:01:43 PM EDT
trt-
It's a NIB 870 Express HD I bought last year. What is "Flexitab" anyway and how does it work?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:13:54 PM EDT
taggity as I am in the same boat!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:49:30 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:19:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:05:16 PM EDT
Thanks,
So the cut in the lifter that's shaped sorta like a huge staple is the flextab then? So I don't need it done?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:28:32 AM EDT
Top Top