Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2003 6:16:20 PM EDT
I just graduated from school and a buddy at work has turned me on to hunting.  I am looking to buy a shotgun for hunting mostly dove and quail.  I am leaning towards an over/under because of the classic style, but since I am new to hunting it would be nice to have a third shot.  Also, how difficult is it to adjust your aim for the second barrel on an over/under?  Any thoughts on the advantages and disadvantages of an over/under?

I'd like to stay under $1,000.  Can I get a quality over/under for that?  If not, would you recommend a pump or auto?  I'm assuming the auto is more expensive, but autos are easier to keep on target for the second and third shot, while pumps are more reliable, right?  What is a quality auto or pump for under $1,000?  I would want a wood stock.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've only hunted deer and turkey with a shotgun. I have an Ithaca deerslayer, I think it's a model 87, 20 gauge. What's nice about it is it has a smooth bore and a rifled barrel.
seeing how over/unders are used so much for skeet they'd probably make good dove guns. As for adjusting aim on one, I don't think you have to, at least I never did the few times I've been skeet shooting
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
For hunting I'd go with a parkerized Rem 870 and you'll have a shit pile of money left over to something else!
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The disadvantge is spending a $1000 and you may end up not liking hunting at all, but it sounds like you may have already been hunting with your friend.

The other issue is if you like hunting, you may want to try other game, for which an O/U may not be ideal.  You also say you want a wood stock, but if you plan to bust brush and you want the wood stock for looks, briars are hell on a wood stock.  Personally I prefer wood stocks too, but I dont hesitate to put my gun ahead of me in the briars.  That inlcudes my O/U's. I am not out to tear my guns up, but hunting is hunting, no safe queens in the field.

If I was going to buy just 1 gun that was for birds first, then assume Skeet and sporting clays too, a semi-auto with a 26" barrel is a great all around compromise.  You can get longer and shorter barrels for it later based on hunting geese or small game.

But a 26" barrel can do it all, espcially if you invest in some quality choke tubes.  Look at Remington, Beretta, Benelli, Winchester.

A Remington 870 with a 28" barrel or Benelli Nova are great guns for tearing through the field with, and there are tons of barrels and accessories for both.

An affordable new O/U is the Beretta white wing, Shop around and you can find it for $900 new.  I have one and use it for everything.  I bought a nice brake down SKB case for it and it travels in the truck and on the plane easy.

Remember, field guns are carried a lot and shot a little, weight is an issue.  Lighter is better in the field but lighter means more recoil too.  That is where a semi-auto like the Remington can be nice, not too heavy, and less punishing on the clay course.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are hunting just dove & guail I would go for a 870 express.  This would be more than enough gun and one hell of a bang for your buck.

This way also, if you ever get into goose or duck hunting, you have a gun that would work for that as well.  Most shotguns for hunting, I believe, should be ones you are willing to beat up and replace someday.  

My 870 has been around for 10+ years and will be handed down to my son for his 1st duck/goose hunt.  

I went hunting for dove a few weeks ago with it.

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
An O/U is a great choice if upland game is the only game on the menu. But if ducks, turkeys and deer are added then a pump or auto have the advantage. If you bought a 12 gauge 870 Express Super Magnum Combo with a 3 1/2" chamber, 26" vent rib barrel and a fully rifled deer barrel with rifled sights you would be loaded for bear or anything else that crossed your path. MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
To answer your question about 'adjusing your aim for the second barrel', you don't adjust your aim. When the two barrels are joined at the factory they are 'regulated' so they both shoot to the same point, at least they are supposed to be.

Don't overlook used over/unders. I'm partial to the Brownings myself. A good over/under can shoot a boatload of shells before its worn out.

Another good value is the Beretta AL390 they sell at WallMart but its got a black synthetic stock. Not a bad idea considering how banged up guns in the field can get.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the advice.  I'm thinking an 870 is the way to go, everything I hear about it is good.  Now I'm trying to decide what handgun to buy with the "shit pile" of money I'll have left over.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey Gumby . Take a look at this web site Shotgun I think you'll find it helpful .
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Well for a handgun its always nice to have a 1911 in 45ACP.

If you gonna shoot holes in stuff they may as well be BIG HOLES
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
If I were going to seriously woods with a shotgun I'd look for a used Browning Citori or Beretta 686 O/U.....

If you are going to SERIOUSLY dove hunt, you'd be better off getting a semi auto....like a Beretta Urika 391 ~$900.

If you are doing upland hunts for quail, grouse, pheasants.......there is a reason why many O/U shotguns have these birds engraved IN GOLD on their sideplates.

You can get a Beretta Field model O/U with 3.5" chambers, and you can choke it x-full, xx-full and it would make a good turkey gun too.....

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The only problem with a O/U for turkeys is that extended extra full, super full or hevi-shot choke tubes do not fit next to each other and you will need two chokes. I think the pump/ auto has the advantage for turkey, deer and waterfowl. The O/U or SxS are classic upland guns. I keep having to say this over and over, shotguns are like golf clubs, you need more that one! One good all purpose pump or auto will get you started but in time you will need several! Enjoy, MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 5:30:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The only problem with a O/U for turkeys is that extended extra full, super full or hevi-shot choke tubes do not fit next to each other and you will need two chokes.

You can't?  Somebody better tell that to my buddy, Jack.  His Stoegor 12ga O/U is wearing an x-full in each barrel....

I've honestly never thought this would be an issue.  The "choke" chokes the inside diameter, the outside diameter is constant, right?

I've also only hunted turkeys using my 1187, and a borrowed 10ga single...

Hmph....I will defer to the mod.

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 7:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Boy don't you hate when you type out a long reply and hit the wrong button and loose the whole post!

Yes, some are the same outside diameter as inside but many have a gnarled knob that is larger outside than inside. An O/U just does not look right in the turkey woods IMHO.

Shivan, You do not have to defer to me, I'm just like everyone else except they gave me the orange reflector belt. Same tactic was used in Catholic School, the trouble makers were made crossing guards. Hey, is that why I'm cop! MIKE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top