Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2015 6:47:29 PM EDT
I picked up my Omega yesterday and shot it today on my 10.5" 300 Blackout Build. It was loud and I was disappointed. I then put the Omega on my 16" and it was super quiet. Something is not right with the 10.5" because I don't think it should be that loud. I know shorter barrels on 5.56 are louder but I didn't think 300 Blackout made that much difference. Does anyone know what could be causing this? The subs have a high snappy pop that hurts the ears without ear protection. It also felt kind of delayed when shooting rapid. I'm running the JP Silent Capture Buffer. Any ideas or help?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Your subs may be going supersonic.  What's the load or is it factory ammo?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have used reloads I chrono'ed at 1000 fps and also using Sig 220s, and Summit 220s. I don't think that is the issue. I also tried some supersonic stuff and it was even louder. Maybe the host is just louder than most, but it was very loud.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have used reloads I chrono'ed at 1000 fps and also using Sig 220s, and Summit 220s. I don't think that is the issue. I also tried some supersonic stuff and it was even louder. Maybe the host is just louder than most, but it was very loud.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well my 8 and 10.5 blks are louder than my 14.5 and 16 so take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you using a fast burning powder that is consumed within the length of the barrel?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I am using mostly AA1680. I did try a few different loads while I was at range using AA5744 and IMR4227. I noticed yellow looking powder in the barrel and I assume this was from the AA5744. All loads seem to be loud. I'm gonna do more ammo testing and chrono work but is there anything else that can cause a AR15 to be louder than normal?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am using mostly AA1680. I did try a few different loads while I was at range using AA5744 and IMR4227. I noticed yellow looking powder in the barrel and I assume this was from the AA5744. All loads seem to be loud. I'm gonna do more ammo testing and chrono work but is there anything else that can cause a AR15 to be louder than normal?
View Quote

Do you have a break on it?  Is it a direct thread can?
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Aa1680 is a "loud" powder. Most the noise I hear shooting suppressed subsoinic 300blk in an AR is from gas escaping ejection port. Try shooting it with your face off the stock and to the left of the gun, you'll be surprised at the difference. Fast burning powders(like pistol powders) in a closed/ fixed action are much quieter. Obviously we're limited to powder choice to cycle the action.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 10:21:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Doubletap...
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 11:36:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm running a FH for the ASR Mount
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top