Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 12/29/2005 7:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2005 7:30:58 PM EDT by dave_in_delaware]
I have what I've been calling a Buck knife, but I have no idea who made it, the model number, or anything. It's about 5" folded, the blade is 4", and opened/locked is 8.75"... It's got a brown "handle" with brass ends, pins, and insides. The one side of the blade says "STAINLESS PAKISTAN" in smaller letters, and the other side says "SFB-4371 PAKISTAN" in larger letters (2 rows of text for each side).

I did some research, and the closest thing I could come up with is M.K.D. Enterprises, who exports knives and surgical stuff from Pakistan, but they were only established in 1990 and I've had this knife for at least 20 years. MKD's site says it's SB-832, and the pic looks exactly like my knife (although I'm not sure about the dimensions).

Does anyone know of a good resource for figuring out knives, be it online somewhere or a book at the library? I can provide a pic of mine if it will help (just let me know). But it looks pretty much like SB-832 in this pic: (to the upper right) www.allproducts.com/pakistan/mkd/p05.jpg

Thanks for any help in advance.

Dave
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:19:11 PM EDT
this is a pretty common knife. Any pics of urs ?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:54:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/30/2005 12:39:40 PM EDT by dave_in_delaware]
I took pictures of it last night, but still need to put them on my website so I can link to them. I'll do that tonight after I get home from work.........

[edited: adding pix]
Overall
Detail

It's a bit scratched up and old, but I'd like to get some more info on it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:31:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 11:32:32 PM EDT by olyeller]
No offense, but that knife is a $2 flea market special. Probably worth less than that now.
pakistan is the "made in taiwan" stamp for knifes.
a crudely copy of a buck. I used to have one when I was in jr. high, and all I could afford was cheap stuff.
But hey, if it cuts...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:49:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By olyeller:
No offense, but that knife is a $2 flea market special.... I used to have one when I was in jr. high, and all I could afford was cheap stuff. But hey, if it cuts...

Thanks Olyeller. No offense taken, since I actually bought mine in the middle school for $1 from a fellow student. Of course back then, I thought it was the coolest knife in the world. I've had it ever since, and use it a lot. It still cuts, but could use a sharpening. I figured it wasn't anything awesome, since it's from Pakistan. But I had been curious about who made it. I'm not worried about it making "Knife of the Year" or anything. LOL.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:16:16 PM EDT
I think those knives were originally supplied to the Mujahadeen for silently taking out Soviet Spetsnaz. They are worth $1000's to collectors of Soviet-Afghan war militaria.
Page Armory » Blades
Top Top