Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2017 12:42:43 AM EDT
Hey all, looking at buying a used PVS-14 and would appreciate some help understanding exactly what I'm looking at here. The unit is ITT manufacture, plate says Gen 3. The model # is listed on the side as "NE PVS-14". Single AA and manual gain.

My question is how to tell what OMNI classification this is likely to be without a spec sheet, and whether or not it is autogated? I've seen a lot of reference online to "NE PVS-14-11" or "NE PVS-14-17" but this says neither on the side, just "NE PVS-14." So I'm a bit confused about how old it would be. Also, when I go to check it out in person, am I right in my understanding that I can listen to it to test if it's autogated? If I can hear a whine emitted from the device when I turn it on that means autogated, right? What would you say fair market price for this would be if there are no major blems? Sorry if these are obvious questions, I have no experience with NV beyond old Gen 1 units.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey all, looking at buying a used PVS-14 and would appreciate some help understanding exactly what I'm looking at here. The unit is ITT manufacture, plate says Gen 3. The model # is listed on the side as "NE PVS-14". Single AA and manual gain.

My question is how to tell what OMNI classification this is likely to be without a spec sheet, and whether or not it is autogated? I've seen a lot of reference online to "NE PVS-14-11" or "NE PVS-14-17" but this says neither on the side, just "NE PVS-14." So I'm a bit confused about how old it would be. Also, when I go to check it out in person, am I right in my understanding that I can listen to it to test if it's autogated? If I can hear a whine emitted from the device when I turn it on that means autogated, right? What would you say fair market price for this would be if there are no major blems? Sorry if these are obvious questions, I have no experience with NV beyond old Gen 1 units.
View Quote
Dino or David can age it better than I can but my guess is that it is an early model Night Enforcer before the dash designations.

This unit should predate autogating IIRC.

Typically autogating can be heard. I have witnessed ATG units that were very loud and I have witnessed one that was so quiet that with a stethoscope I would only hear the ATG if I probed a specific location on the housing.

Typically autogated units perform better in dynamic lighting conditions but lack of ATG is far from the end of the world.

"Fair" value may still be around $1500 but I would not pay that high for it.

The other guys are better authorities but I have not seen them posting so they may be busy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#2]
cant help much but i seem to remember the night enforcer was   (is )  one of the higher end pvs14 units and was built up by itt themselves - usually had good tubes in (if it has the original tube )
the best and really only way would be to look thru it and if its good then buy it - gated or not both can be good
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top