Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 7:41:16 AM EDT
OK, I bought a Kimber .22 Hunter and a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm SF scope. The kimber came with the scalloped bases and I bought Leupold STD rings.

I attempted to laser boresight it last night to 50yds, which I do with all my long rifles and then tweak them at the range to longer distances. But since this will be used for small bored silhouette shooting, I figured 50 was a good place to start. And I have had good luck doing this in the past with other .22s.

OK, now the bad part. The laser dot is about 3 FEET above where the crosshairs are aiming. Even if I crank the elevation knob all the way, it doesn't get anywhere close.

The scope appears to be very low in the front to the barrel and does not seem to be level. The rear base mount appears to be higher.

Did I get a bad set of mounts? The wrong rings? Do I need to shim the front mount? I bought everything at Sportsmans Warehouse and they gave me everything I needed. I was planning on taking it back there tonight and have them boresight it. I just like doing it myself and wonder what I am doing wrong?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
first off check your rings and base

if that checks out good get a set of rings from burris, signature zees i believe they are and get the insert set as well.

you can adjust the moa of the scope with the inserts. i have them on my 10/22 which has a simmons 44mag on it and it didnt have enough elevation to get out to 100yds so i installed the inserts and now it has plenty.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
They showed me Burris rings with inserts. I actually think the problem is the Kimber bases. I asked my buddy who has a Kimber Hunter Silhouette and the same bases and rings, but his bases are the same height, mine are not. I will get them swapped out today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top