Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2010 6:10:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say the buffer, like maybe get an H2 buffer, but thats not usually the issue with the suppressor, more so comes about going from suppressed to unsuppressed. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can help out. Go over the upper like you would a car trying to figure out what wrong. Check to make sure the gas tube isn't screwed up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
If I understand what you are saying correctly, sounds like the bcg is flying forward past the new round before the round can be pushed up from the mag tension.

With that said, maybe you have an oversized gas port and need a heavier buffer to slow things down a bit. If I am wrong, there will be others who will tell me I'm sure...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If I understand what you are saying correctly, sounds like the bcg is flying forward past the new round before the round can be pushed up from the mag tension.

That's how I read it. Increased bolt speed due to the extra back pressure from the suppressor. This is the reason so many companies have started to use adjustable gas blocks for suppressor use. Try a heavier buffer to slow the bolt down.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:59:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's how I read it. Increased bolt speed due to the extra back pressure from the suppressor. This is the reason so many companies have started to use adjustable gas blocks for suppressor use. Try a heavier buffer to slow the bolt down.

+1 on a heavier buffer. This is probably the best thing to try first.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

+1 on a heavier buffer. This is probably the best thing to try first.

+1 ..and cheapest to try first    and if it doesn't work, then that is spare parts for you to have on hand
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I use 9mm buffers in all my SBR's, suppressed or non.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Or you try a Spikes ST-T2
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#10]
My vote is for the H2.  I am running an H in my 10.5" AR.  I have only run about 30 rounds with the suppressor on, but I had no issues.  I am going to get an H2 to see how it runs.  Mostly to cut down on wear.  I know alot of guys that run a 9mm buffer with no issues, but they don't "buffer".  There are no weights in a 9mm buffer.  They are solid.  A 9mm AR is blow back operated.  The weights in a buffer are supposed to move.  The ST-2 has granuals, not solid weights.  There is a guy from M4 Carbine.net that did some great slow motion video of carrier bounce with different buffers.  The 9mm buffer had the worst bounce.  The H2 had none.  In my opinion 9mm  buffers should only be used in 9mm AR's.  If any one uses one and it works for them, fine, keep using it.  That is just my opinion.  I don't care what you use.  Here is a link to the video.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRn68HwZf34  He did some others that are good to watch too.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:07:38 AM EDT
[#11]
That is very interesting. I may have to rethink the 9mm buffer.
I would like to see the demo with a 10.5" as opposed to a 16"
Thanks
Dave
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ordered a Spikes ST-T2 should be here in a couple of days.  I'll post a range report.

Thanks for the help guys.

FB

good choice. let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]
9mm buffers add a lot of bolt bounce in 5.56 uppers and belong in 9mm uppers
the ST T2 does nothing better than an H buffer with more bounce.

do a search for the videos/threads 87GN did on various buffers and bolt bounce

very informative
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
9mm buffers add a lot of bolt bounce in 5.56 uppers and belong in 9mm uppers
the ST T2 does nothing better than an H buffer with more bounce.

do a search for the videos/threads 87GN did on various buffers and bolt bounce

very informative

I just tried a dozen searches with different parameters and found nothing.  How long ago were the videos posted? Which forum?

FB

LINK
searched username 87GN
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:31:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top