Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 10/11/2002 10:37:03 AM EDT
I've been thinking about trying this front sight so I can get a more precise sight picture at longer distances without magnification optics. Has anyone tried one of these and if so what did you think? I can see where there would be an advantage by not having your front sight post cover your target but are there any disadvantages?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:07:50 AM EDT
I, too have been curious how these work out..so btt.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:29:57 AM EDT
Here are a few others that might accomplish the same goal. I think I am going to try the hooded KNS front sight in the picture above so I can evaluate it in the field. With some of the narrower front sight posts pictured here, I would be afraid it might get bent if it got hit by a branch or some brush. Hopefully the wire crosshairs will be protected by the protective hood.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:47:29 AM EDT
I need one of these small "dot" front sight.
so you have a link
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 12:34:23 PM EDT
I've got the center one in the top post. Pretty nice actually. I don't know if they're legal for competition but they sure do a good job of helping me hit small iron at great distance. They're not for a room clearing CQB carbine but the ghost ring is quick to pick up, the thicker wires guides the eye to the center finer wires.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 12:39:30 PM EDT
www.kagerind.com/

$30 at MidwayUSA
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 1:23:14 PM EDT
I saw those in this months issue of SGN and was wondering the same thing. I can't remember the name of the company selling them but I thought they were only like $23. I too would like to know what people think of these.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 5:32:51 PM EDT
I bought a similar sight from Brownells several years ago. I believe it was made by DPMS. It has an aperture but no cross hairs. I bought it to use in competition and its use classifies my AR-15 as a Match Rifle not a Servie Rifle. I use it because I have poor eyesight (astigmatism) and saw two posts, one overlapping the other. With the aperture, I get a better sight picture; it is easy to center a bull. When I got it, the aperture was so big that I could see the entire target frame and more so I sleeved it to reduce the aperture diameter.

I think the plain aperture is a useful front sight but that the cross hairs are not, atleast for me. I don't think I could even see them. Your eye will perfectly center any target in the aperture; the time spent trying to center the cross hairs would be wasted as it will not gain you any more precise sight picture.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:01:48 PM EDT
I tried the front sight with the cross hairs and did not like it one bit especially for ranges out to 100 yards.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:15:20 PM EDT
Wow. kagerind.com also has stainless steel trigger pins. Anyone have any experience with those?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:35:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 308wood:
I need one of these small "dot" front sight.
so you have a link

308wood, Go here for links to the goodies!

http://www.kagerind.com/Kager_Static_Home/S-gun_sights/s-gun_sights2.htm
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:13:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:43:47 PM EDT
I, too, have the one in the center/top post.
I got it through Brownells and had to send the first one back because it was very slightly oversize in the threads.
I tried to wire brush the finish off the threads and lube it to get it installed but it was just a tad too tight.
I contacted the company and they shipped me a new one right away no questions asked, and it fit fine; I shipped them the one I tried to fit.
I like it.
As Paul said, it has the ghost ring effect, and I like the way it doesn't 'hide' things behind a post. The hood is nice because it covers the wires and there is no exposed post to get damaged.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:49:25 PM EDT
I shot one with the cross hair type front site. I did not like it. It was on an LEO's duty rifle. Might be good for bench work but it really slowed me down on target aquisition.
Not to mention it looked delicate. Not something i'd want for a SHTF sight.

I'd guess it takes a little getting used to.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:37:50 PM EDT
assortment featuring: 3 square post. Widths: .034, .052, .072 -
3 round dot post. Diameter: .034, .052, .072 - 1 V-notch & inverted V (point up)
Gun types: M-16, AR-15, AR-10, SR-25
Material/Finish: Sight bodies are steel, gray finish
I have These on my Varminter and regular 20" A3. I use the .034 and it helps out a lot. I am going to get the colorrear lense soon.You need to be careful they are fragle and bend pretty easy. Got a Dewey Rod caught in front sight I I hasd to replacs it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:48:32 PM EDT
I ordered the middle sight from Bushmaster with ghost ring and duplex cross hairs. I will try it on my duty M-4 and give an evaluation when I'm done. I'm not worried about the CQB aspect of this sight because I use an Aimpoint for entries and quick target acquisition. I'm hoping the duplex cross hairs will be quicker than the fine cross hairs to center the targets at long distance without covering them. I intend to keep my Aimpoint zeroed @ 25yds for close in targets while the cross hair sight will be zeroed @ 100yds.

Duplex cross hairs

Fine cross hairs
Top Top