Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2008 11:37:32 AM EDT
I'm thinking a 22lr, a 357/38spl, or even a 45 colt would be pretty neat with a can.  But I don't recall seeing any pics on ARF of a lever action with a can on it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag!  IMO a Model 94 Trapper in .45 Long Colt would be a sweet platform for a .45 can.

The action's not exactly quiet, though . . .
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 12:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've seen pics, a guy on silencertalk has a suppressed case-hardened .44 levergun.  It looks REALLY cool.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a suppressed 96/22 with a threaded bbl and TAC-65. hollywood quiet. And then some.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in the day (say 90-94) I made a adaptor mount to put a MAC M10/45acp can on a Marlin 1895 45-70 for a customer.

Firing cast lead slugs (downloaded, but not true squib loads) it sounded like throwing a phonebook into a 50gal thrashcan. Kinda a "thunk" type noise.

Warned the owner to use lots of teflon tape on the threads every time he mounted the can.

7/8"-9 threads... Gordon WTF were you thinking....
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:45:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I use an EVO45 on my Uberti 1873 in .44 special.  It is very quiet and way fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I use an EVO45 on my Uberti 1873 in .44 special.  It is very quiet and way fun to shoot.

i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/dieselten/DSC00201.jpg

That looks awesome!
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks, here's a couple more pics

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I have threaded damn near everything I own, but not a leveraction.
I have three .22lr rifles that I have been considering having threaded. A Marin 39A, a Browning (whatever they call it), and a Winchester 9422 Trapper.
HOWEVER: I am not sure it is worthwhile. They are tube fed, which presents at least two problems. One is that I think you would have to unscrew the suppressor to load the gun. The other problem is that the tube gives you a very limited amount of room to mount the suppressor on the barrel without running into the tube.
How did you handle this issue on the gun pictured in the above post ???

I took the caps off of several other .22s I have that are threaded an measured them to see how far down the barrel the threading goes. The shortest one was .4". The others were a little longer.

The Marlin looked like it had plenty of room. The Browning is marginal: possible but it might be real close. The Winchester; no way. The tube goes right to the end of the barrel. I believe you could have an adapter made to allow the suppressor to clear the tube ????

I am torn on going ahead with the project. I probably own 8-10 threaded or suppressed .22 rifles. I don't really need any more. But, I enjoy those rifles so much and I think suppressing them would add to the enjoyment. I think they would be as quiet as a bolt action (obviously). I don't know. I guess I am just trying to get real about this hobby. I have a tendency to go way overboard and I can't decide if this is yet another example of my excesses or not.

I own a Marlin 444 as well as a '94 Winchester in .30-30 and a '94 Trapper in .45 Colt. I don't have any desire or intention of suppressing them. I have a .30 cal suppressor right now but I don't see the point in using it on the '94. I have a Ruger 77 in .44 mag that is suppressed so I also have no burning desire to suppress the .45 Colt either. Shooting subsonic loads out of the 444 would be the same as shooting subsonic loads out of the .44 Mag Ruger. I guess now that I think about it, I also have a Marlin lever gun chambered for .357. I suppose I could use that with my Evo-9 and that might actually be interesting. I am not sure I want to shoot cast bullets out of it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

set the mag tube back a little bit
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shooting subsonic loads out of the 444 would be the same as shooting subsonic loads out of the .44 Mag Ruger.  

I was thinking 444 because the case will handle triple seal Hunters Supply flat nose 44 Caliber (430 Diameter) 360 grain hard cast lead bullets, & still deliver 6 ~ 700 FP subsonicly.
Those would never fit a 44 mag case, would they?

I have no idea.
Sounds interesting though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/dieselten/DSC00204.jpg

i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/dieselten/DSC00203.jpg

Now, imagine how smooth that would look if you could have an octagonal can made for it.

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm just now sending off a Marlin 1894C to Tornado Technologies to have it threaded.  I plan to use .38 special and a 9mm can.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:05:04 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/dieselten/DSC00201.jpg

John Wayne is doing 18,730 RPM.

Well.....

You do know that Mr. Wayne was the first person to use a MAC10 in a Hollywood movie, right?

McQ...1974.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm just now sending off a Marlin 1894C to Tornado Technologies to have it threaded.  I plan to use .38 special and a 9mm can.

How about the magazine tube issue on that carbine ? I think that is the one I have but I am too lazy to go in and look. I would have to take a bunch of stuff out to get to it in the back (I only shot it a couple times since I bought it).
Does the magazine tube need to be shortened ?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 9:50:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have threaded damn near everything I own, but not a leveraction.
I have three .22lr rifles that I have been considering having threaded. A Marin 39A, a Browning (whatever they call it), and a Winchester 9422 Trapper.
HOWEVER: I am not sure it is worthwhile. They are tube fed, which presents at least two problems. One is that I think you would have to unscrew the suppressor to load the gun. The other problem is that the tube gives you a very limited amount of room to mount the suppressor on the barrel without running into the tube.

I took the caps off of several other .22s I have that are threaded an measured them to see how far down the barrel the threading goes. The shortest one was .4". The others were a little longer.

The Marlin looked like it had plenty of room. The Browning is marginal: possible but it might be real close. The Winchester; no way. The tube goes right to the end of the barrel. I believe you could have an adapter made to allow the suppressor to clear the tube ????

I am torn on going ahead with the project. I probably own 8-10 threaded or suppressed .22 rifles. I don't really need any more. But, I enjoy those rifles so much and I think suppressing them would add to the enjoyment. I think they would be as quiet as a bolt action (obviously). I don't know. I guess I am just trying to get real about this hobby. I have a tendency to go way overboard and I can't decide if this is yet another example of my excesses or not.

I own a Marlin 444 as well as a '94 Winchester in .30-30 and a '94 Trapper in .45 Colt. I don't have any desire or intention of suppressing them. I have a .30 cal suppressor right now but I don't see the point in using it on the '94. I have a Ruger 77 in .44 mag that is suppressed so I also have no burning desire to suppress the .45 Colt either. Shooting subsonic loads out of the 444 would be the same as shooting subsonic loads out of the .44 Mag Ruger. I guess now that I think about it, I also have a Marlin lever gun chambered for .357. I suppose I could use that with my Evo-9 and that might actually be interesting. I am not sure I want to shoot cast bullets out of it.

If you use a QD suppressor like the Warlock QD or Checkmate with QD you might be able to remove the can for reloading without having to unthread and rethread the can each time. I don't know if the tube would clear the QD mount though. I've though about doing it to my Browning BL22 but haven't yet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:16:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about the magazine tube issue on that carbine ? I think that is the one I have but I am too lazy to go in and look. I would have to take a bunch of stuff out to get to it in the back (I only shot it a couple times since I bought it).
Does the magazine tube need to be shortened ?

It depends... I will be using a 3-lug can and a 3-lug adapter I got from TROS.  I have a 3-lug adapter that is just slightly thinner than the 1984's barrel.  So once the barrel is threaded, the adapter will not interfere with the full length mag tube.  If you want to use a thread-on can, I suppose you could do the same thing, but uses a different adapter from TROS.  It will extend the barrel slightly.

Tornado technologies is going to thread the barrel.  They asked my to strip teh rifle, and send them just the barreled action.  they can jig the barreled action into their lathe.

The other option I thought about, but was anywhere from $250 - $320 depending on the smith, was to shorten both the barrel and the mag tube.  I decided to just use an adapter.

It's not very difficult to strip the Marlin 1894C, including removing the mag tube.  I found some on-line instructions over on leverguns.com and it took me about 20 minutes.  the only tools you need are a few good screw drivers.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 11:59:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm not sure if Wild Alaska is still around though.

It's called Wild West Guns... it's still around.  A lot of locals don't do business with them because the owners a super douche.  

~Dg84
www.wildwestguns.com/

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:27:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Not mine - Ruger 96/22

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:39:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm thinking of having SRT build me a 96/44.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:15:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

From SRT's site -  

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From SRT's site -  

www.srtarms.com/9644.jpg

Yeah, it's gonna be my next project.  I bet those are fun as hell.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Everybody please keep us updated on the various projects you have mentioned on this thread.
They all sound very interesting to me.

I now an thinking about gettting my Marlin .357 threaded.
I also am going to get my 77/22 done up with an integral suppressor and SRT is on the short list. I want to hear what happens with them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I still have not found the time to pack up my barreled action to send to Mike at Tornado Technologies.  Maybe early next week.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

set the mag tube back a little bit

I dug to the back of my safe and got out my Marlin 1894C.
I also did some rough measurements (using a tape measure) on three different 9mm threaded barrels to see how far back they are threaded. Two were 5/8" and one was 1/2".  The carbine has about 3/8" of barrel before the magazine tube begins. So, obviously, something has to give. Either the magazine tube needs to be shortened, or some kind of adapter needs to be made to extend the suppressor out a little further. There is also a pin that appears to make the magazine tube more solid at the end between the magazine tube and the barrel. It is 1/2" back from the end of the barrel. If is this simply the end of the screw, whose head is visible on the bottom of the magazine tube, securing the end of the magazine tube to the barrel ? Is there a hole on the bottom of the barrel that is drilled and tapped to accept this screw or is it just a pin ?

I don't know how all this stuff is measured: does the suppressor screw onto the barrel all the way to the end of the threads and if nessessary the barrel pertrudes into the suppressor ?

I am trying to envision what needs to be done. I want this done right. I want to put some thought into it before I jump into this project.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
On that 45-70 I did, I counterbored the barrel 11/16" deep and it had an internal fine thread which the MAC adaptor screwed into. When the can was off, a small thread protector was screwed in - there was only 3/32" sticking out so most people never noticed it had been modified.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I can not comment on setting back your Marlin mag tube as it is different than my Italian 73 Winchester knock off.  One thing I can mention is that all Beretta M92/M9 pistols with factory threaded barrel have a threaded shank of approx. .325"  And don't forget that most 9mm silencers have the threaded piston (or mount) extended from the rear of the can body.  My Trident thread mount extends about .190".   If your barrel is in fact 3/8" ahead of the end of your mag tube you could get about .5" of 1/2x28 thread on the end of your barrel if you have a Trident 9 can.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I can not comment on setting back your Marlin mag tube as it is different than my Italian 73 Winchester knock off.  One thing I can mention is that all Beretta M92/M9 pistols with factory threaded barrel have a threaded shank of approx. .325"  And don't forget that most 9mm silencers have the threaded piston (or mount) extended from the rear of the can body.  My Trident thread mount extends about .190".   If your barrel is in fact 3/8" ahead of the end of your mag tube you could get about .5" of 1/2x28 thread on the end of your barrel if you have a Trident 9 can.

What a great point.
Damn, that is so obvious but I never even thought about that.
My forehead is sore from me palm striking it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
On that 45-70 I did, I counterbored the barrel 11/16" deep and it had an internal fine thread which the MAC adaptor screwed into. When the can was off, a small thread protector was screwed in - there was only 3/32" sticking out so most people never noticed it had been modified.

That is
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:26:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I'll be using a 3-lug can on my Marlin 1894C.  The adapter I have will thread onto the barrel without needing to modify the magazine tube.

The magazine tube is simple to remove.  All you need to do is remove teh screw from teh barrel band out by the front sight.

What you are seeing is the top of the screw, and it doesn't make contact with the barrel on my gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top