Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2009 9:23:01 AM EDT
My 590 came with a factory Speedfeed stock.  It seems that leaving it loaded over the course of the past several years has caused the recoil pad to pull away from the stock.  Has this happened to anyone?  Is there any way to fix it?  I don't mind just buying a new recoil pad, but I'm not sure if it can be purchased separately.  I was about to buy a Speedfeed for my 11-87P, but now I'm having second thoughts.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 3:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I had one like that on a Mossberg Mariner. Thats what it looked like about 3 months before if broke on me @ the range. Glad I had a second stock at home. I've since decided against the speed-feed stocks. But then thats just me...
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 4:27:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  I found a replacement recoil pad at Arizona Gun Runners for $15, so I went ahead and placed an order.  I also sent a message to Speedfeed about it.  Will have to wait and see what they say.  It would be nice if the pad was reinforced somehow where the springs push against it.

Quoted:
I had one like that on a Mossberg Mariner. Thats what it looked like about 3 months before if broke on me @ the range. Glad I had a second stock at home. I've since decided against the speed-feed stocks. But then thats just me...

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had this happen on 3 differnt stock sets, here is my fix, I went to my Local Tractor supply Store and purchased a sheet of thin steel. I took the pad off and traced it on the sheet of steel and cut it out with a saw, i ground it down shapped it drilled the holes to mount, bufffed it on a wire wheel and blued it with PermaBlue and installed it on the stock between the  recoil pad and the stock. Wala easy fix.
Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking about doing something along those lines.   Thanks for the info

Quoted:
I have had this happen on 3 differnt stock sets, here is my fix, I went to my Local Tractor supply Store and purchased a sheet of thin steel. I took the pad off and traced it on the sheet of steel and cut it out with a saw, i ground it down shapped it drilled the holes to mount, bufffed it on a wire wheel and blued it with PermaBlue and installed it on the stock between the  recoil pad and the stock. Wala easy fix.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the reply.  I found a replacement recoil pad at Arizona Gun Runners for $15, so I went ahead and placed an order.  I also sent a message to Speedfeed about it.  Will have to wait and see what they say.  It would be nice if the pad was reinforced somehow where the springs push against it.

Quoted:

Mine hasnt done it but when I saw how it was designed I cut a peice of sheet metal to back it up.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 3:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Hmmm Ive never seen one do that.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:44:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I got an email back from Speedfeed.  They asked for my mailing info so they could send me a new recoil pad under warranty.  Pretty good customer service I think.  I'm still going to try and make a plate to hold the springs in.  I was thinking about trying to make it out of black ABS plastic, or maybe aluminum.  I'll have to see what I can find at the store.
Link Posted: 4/23/2009 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Never seen that. Never really thought about how their made either. Guess it answers that. hmmm

Link Posted: 4/28/2009 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Still haven't fixed it yet, but had a quick question.  I want to make a plate to go between the stock and recoil pad as discussed.  The plate will hold the springs in, and take all the pressure off the recoil pad.  I was thinking I would make it out of black ABS plastic.  I can by a 12x12 sheet on ebay for about $9.  I figured a black plastic plate would give more of a factory look, almost like a recoil pad spacer.  I can get longer screws if it is an issue.  The sheet is 1/8" thick, which I think should be fine.   What do you guys think?  I don't think it needs to be any thicker than that.  It seems like plastic flooorplates on magazines hold up fine, and I don't think they are any thicker than 1/8"
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my free replacement recoil pad from Speedfeed the other day.  Thumbs up to them for the excellent service.  I went ahead and bought a Speedfeed to go on my 11-87P as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top