Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2009 4:37:32 AM EST
Greetings,

I am curious about the Harrell's Turret press and I have a few questions for someone who owns one.

1. What size cartridge can I easily size with it? Does it have enough clearance/leverage to full length size .30-06 length cases?

2. The turrets- If you change them do you have to go through die setup again? For instance, would you expect to have a lot of change in your seating/sizing die? I verify these things regardless but I am curious about how "tight" and repeatable the turret "attachment" process is.

3. When you turn the turret to another "station" how positive is this process? Is it locked down somehow?

I would like to ask these questions of the factory but I can't seem to find the email address.

Thanks,
Cheese
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:32:03 AM EST
I have not tried one, but I was very interested, so I gave them a call, and I was told that the press would not be able to seat bullets in magnum calibers. This completely eliminated the press for me, but if I was just loading short action length cartridges, they seem to be very nice, you might try giving them a call, they were very helpful when I called.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:17:20 AM EST
I will give them a call when I can- thanks for the suggestion.

Frankly the magnum length case issue isn't much of a big deal for me. .30-06 is about as "long" as I need to go.

Unfortunately a bunch of over-achievers with stone tools killed all the Megafauna around here a few years before I was born.

I would have finally been able to justify that .416 Rigby if only I could get a Mastodon/Mammoth tag.

Ah well...
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:30:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/31/2009 6:31:51 AM EST by bigduck73]
I guess you don't really need a magnum out west (my 300 destroys deer, bad deal) but they are fun to shoot, and can reach out for those long shots, although those are few and far between.
I enjoyed my talk with the guys at Harrells, I am pretty sure that they answered the phone while running a milling machine, and they knew what they where talking about.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:30:39 AM EST
I just called the company and the fellow on the phone was quite helpful.

I asked him:
Is it big enough to handle .30-06 length cartridges?
A: Yes.

When you rotate the turret is it easy to find the "station"?
A: There is a spring and a ball system so you will know it is where it is supposed to be.

How much are extra turrets?
A: Four position turrets are $35 bucks.

When I change a turret does it require three tools and a monkey?
A: Just a monkey. All you need to do is remove one bolt.

What does it do with spent primers? Does it spit them out onto the floor?
A: I prefer a trash bucket, but if you want to drop them on the floor you can.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 8:46:28 PM EST
Glen Zediker speaks highly of this press in his book on precision reloading.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:44:55 PM EST
This press is beautiful, a work of machining art. It's designed for taking to the range. Small, compact and with a built in c-clamp. That being said, I would not buy this press as a primary reloading tool. The handle is too short for full length resizing tough brass. It's designed for seating bullets and neck sizing in benchrest tournaments. Full length resizing of .308 (especially Lake City) or anything bigger should be reserved for a full sized press. Also, benchrest shooters usually knock their primers out by hand or use an inline neck die and a mallet. I would do everthing in my power to keep primer dust and debris away from a Harrell's press. It's made of high grade aluminum, not cast iron, and primer dust/debris is highly abrasive. I want one, will probably get one, but it will be in addition to my current presses.
Top Top