Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2002 5:46:21 AM EDT
The other day I purchased a Remington LTR in .308 and I’ve been struggling with what scope to put on it (especially what power is needed and AO or not).  I’ve narrowed the choice down to basically two scopes which are decent quality and within my price range, both are Leupold.  I'd really like the VXIII M1 LR model but just can't afford it.  My choice is really between the Tactical VXIII 4.5-14X40 AO and 3.5X10 without AO. After speaking to a couple of local shooters and others regarding the choice, I had decided on the 4.5-14 with the AO, but yesterday I had a couple of people really try hard to talk me into the 3.5-10X40 without any AO or side focus. I will mostly be using the rifle at the closest ranges to my house in S. FL (100-150yrds.), and for some hunting (deer and hogs), and maybe a little varmint hunting if I get a chance. Most of the shots I would expect would be around 100 yrds. or less for range practice and hog hunting, with 3-400 yrds at the very longest if I take the rifle out West or go varminting with it, but more like 100yrds most of the time. I have a lot of experience with hunting rifles and have both 2-7X32 and 3-9X40 (both Nikon Monarch) scopes on other rifles, so I thought I'd go to the next step up in power to the 4.5-14X40. Unfortunately I have been hearing many comments such as "the rifle doesn't need that much scope as the barrel is only 20 in.", "even out to 400 yards, the 3.5-10 should be just fine, and the higher power scope especially with the AO feature will minimize light transmission a great deal", and "you'll have a hard time focusing the parallax correctly for close range shots (like 25-50 yrd hog shots), and there's too much magnification and eye relief at the low end to be a good scope for that application." Personally, I just wanted to be able to see the targets a bit better at the range (avg 100 yrds), and have the flexibility of hunting with the rifle as well, if I don't want to use my .30-06 or 7mm-08. Please give me some advice here, especially personal experience, I would really appreciate it. I want to buy the scope already and get the rifle set up and to the range. Lastly I’ll probably be mounting the scope in Burris Signature Duel  Dovetail rings/bases, or similar Leupolds.  I’m pretty sure this rifle wont see any true hard use where the Leu Mk 4 or Badgers would be necessary (also I’m trying to keep cost down a little as I’m also working on a new AR and boat project).

Sorry for the long post, but this is a really important decision and I don’t want to regret my choice here, any information would be very helpful.
Thanks again.

Shoot-n-Fish
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:54:14 AM EDT
[#1]
The 3.5-10X40 is my choice.
I have the 6X tactical on it now but I will be looking for the variable soon. I bought a 3-9 tactical as a hedge but I will be selling that to fund the other scope.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I mounted a MK4 M1 10x40, Mil Dot recticle, with side focus on mine.

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
AO - I would get it.

Power - 10x is more than adequate out to 1k yrds.

Mirage - "should" not be an issue at 10x, may be at 14x - ah... the beauty of adj power.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Since it'll be a range queen, why not go for the scope that'll enable you to see the best?  Go for the 4.5-14, you won't regret it at all, you only lose a little at the bottom end, but gain 4x at the top, that's a trade off on a 308 I'll take any day.  Agreed that 10x is good enough for 1000 shooting, but its not as enjoyable or easy as with a 14 or in my case a 6.5-20.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of the replies so far.  This is a tough call.  I just don't want to regret going with too high a power scope and losing the low end for close up shots (Leupold specs the 4.5-14x40 as 4.9 at the low end).  I thought I'd be able to see my hits a little better than with the 3-9x40 that's on my hunting rifle and could expand my range a little going with a little higher power scope.  But I am losing the AO or focus adjustment if I go with the 3.5-10x40 Tac, which might be nice if I get out west and shoot at some goats or mulies. AHHHHH!
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Remington's TWS package includes a Leupold® Vari-X™ III (3.5 x 10) scope with a Duplex™ reticle and flip-open lens covers.  

I ordered a Springfield Armory 4-14X56AO for my PSS yesterday and a set of Badger Ordnance rings and one-piece base. I'm like you; in the past I have used Nikon Monarch scopes and Leupold bases/rings exclusively on all of my rifles, but wanted to try something a little different this time around.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hello,
Here's a sleeper scope that you might want to CK out Sightron 4X16X42 w/ Mildots just as clear as a Loopy , lifetime warranty etc.. and half the cost of a Loopy also , any questions on it drop me a line

TargetShooter2

Here's a Pss w Sightron and a Ltr with a M1LR

Here's another LTR in a USS stock but heavy with a M1LR

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:50:46 PM EDT
[#8]
TargetShooter2, with those rings, one would assume you're shooting a .50!  A little bit of overkill, wouldn't you say?  Oh yeah, tighten up those groups!  Atleast you can't blame it on the gun!  
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#9]
shootnfish:

You mentioned "cost" as being a big deciding factor.  I have two M700 LTR's - a .308 and a .223.  On the .308, I have a Leupold M3, but on the .223 - I have the new Leupold VX-II Tactical:

Leupold VX-2 Tactical Scope 3-9x 40mm 3/4 Mil Dot Reticle Matte, Vendor #: 54080

You can buy it at Midway USA for $389.99:

http://www.midwayusa.com/online/productpage.exe/showproduct?SaleItemID=125281

It's worth every penny and while my M3 (at $850) is excellent - the VX-II is awesome!  Good luck!

Link Posted: 4/30/2002 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the Leupold VariX III 4.5-14x50.  I love the thing.  Works great for everything I have come across.

I really need to paint that bad boy.  Anyway, its mounted in Badger Rings on a MK4 Base.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 5:35:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all of the input, it has really helped. I spoke to Chris at SWFA yesterday afternoon, and he really took a lot of time and effort helping me with questions and came up with a price that beat everyone else that I spoke to.  I decided to go with the Leu VXIII 4.5-14X40 AO Tactical as it seems to meet all of the requirements I have for a scope on the LTR, and all I'm compromising on is about 1.5X on the low power end. I also ordered a set of Burris duel dovetail signature rings and bases to go with it. I just couldn't stretch my budget enough to go to the M1 or Mk3, as I have my AR, my boat (damn offshore fishing habit), and an upcoming Alaska trip in June.  I'm happy with the decision and just want to say thanks to all of you and to Chris for your time and input...this site really is GREAT! Shoot-n-Fish
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:29:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Good choice!...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top