Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 6:45:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 11:18:44 AM EDT by BillSP1]
I am just getting into 50BMG and will be handloading for it. I presently use a Dillon 550B press for 308 Win and a host of other calibers, but will have to get another (bigger) press for 50BMG. I see Hornady has a press and dies available for $399. I also read that Lee is offering a Classic cast press with dies for $175. Has anyone used the Lee 50 BMG press/dies?

Wideners has a selection of 50 BMG brass, bullets, and powder. As I understand it the pulled bullets are fine for any non-match shooting, what about surplus powder?

Where do you get 50BMG primers?

Any reccomendations on presses and/or components will be appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:55:33 AM EDT
I use the RCBS, it is the same as the Hornady just no lock and load, it was cheaper and more readily available. Weidner's had the best price, I also bought a case (200) of virgin IMI brass.

Hornady 750gr bullets, .50 BMG powder and CCI primers. The primers I ordered through a local dealer it took a couple of weeks, but they were cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:38:47 AM EDT
Try Pat's Reloading www.patsreloading.com for surplus powder and other components.

Hi-Tech ammo and River Valley Ord also sell surplus stuff www.hi-techammo.com and www.rvow.com

If you buy 4 jugs of powder at a time they waive the haz-mat fee.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:25:14 AM EDT
I am thinking on the Lee kit you can get from midway fro 150.00. They guys who have them that are aon bighammer seems to like them. If don't get it willget a hornady one most likely. I hear good of all but the lee being just as good and a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:26:06 AM EDT
Good information guys! Much appreciated, keep it coming.

Akethan: sounds like some good precision loads!

50 Shooter: I have bought from GIBrass before (for the littler calibers), good source info.

I am having ALS (Advanced Long-Range Systems) build me an upper. With a 9 month wait I have time to hunt around for the press and components and still build up some ammo before the ALS-50 rifle is ready.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:04:31 PM EDT
lee review

http://members.cox.net/rjring/

get it!
145 from midway

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:37:44 AM EDT
The Lee 50BMG setup is certainly reasonably priced at just 30% of the Hornady or RCBS rigs. A benchrest shooter buddy of mine (Yeah, I know they are anal about everything) says the precision machining just is not there with the Lee press and dies and this is why they are less expensive. I cannot dispute this because I have little experience with Lee stuff and none with 50BMG reloading in particular.

I have ordered a barrel with a Match dimension chamber and do not want press/die limitations to be the weak link in precision of my loads. Any one out there getting gret ammo out of the Lee 50BMG press? I just don't want to have to get the LEE press and have to replace it for someting better in a year.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:49:55 PM EDT
tag-a-BOOM
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:42:39 AM EDT
I got the Hornady 50BMG kit (press with 50BMG dies). Jeez the 50BMG dies are big honking dies! When I looked at the RCBS it look nearly identical to the Hornady. I plan to get the adapter bushing so that I can use the standard 7/8"dies in the big press as well. I have to say the Hornady looks pretty good.

Still shopping for brass and bullets. Probably get some 750grain A-Max for acuracy loads and pick up a hundred or so resized bullets for fun. Any bullets I should avoid for use in a new ALS-50?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:57:14 AM EDT
no, as long as they are sized when u get them..
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Top Top