Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 6:45:06 AM EDT
I am just getting into 50BMG and will be handloading for it.  I presently use a Dillon 550B press for 308 Win and a host of other calibers, but will have to get another (bigger) press for 50BMG.   I see Hornady has a press and dies available for $399.   I also read that Lee is offering a Classic cast press with dies for $175.  Has anyone used the Lee 50 BMG press/dies?

Wideners has a selection of 50 BMG brass, bullets, and powder.   As I understand it the pulled bullets are fine for any non-match shooting, what about surplus powder?

Where do you get 50BMG primers?

Any reccomendations on presses and/or components will be appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I use the RCBS, it is the same as the Hornady just no lock and load, it was cheaper and more readily available. Weidner's had the best price, I also bought a case (200) of virgin IMI brass.

Hornady 750gr bullets, .50 BMG powder and CCI primers. The primers I ordered through a local dealer it took a couple of weeks, but they were cheaper.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Try Pat's Reloading www.patsreloading.com for surplus powder and other components.

Hi-Tech ammo and River Valley Ord also sell surplus stuff www.hi-techammo.com and www.rvow.com

If you buy 4 jugs of powder at a time they waive the haz-mat fee.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I am thinking on the Lee kit you can get from midway fro 150.00. They guys who have them that are aon bighammer seems to like them. If don't get it willget a hornady one most likely.  I hear good of all but the lee being just as good and a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Good information guys!  Much appreciated, keep it coming.

Akethan:  sounds like some good precision loads!

50 Shooter: I have bought from GIBrass before (for the littler calibers), good source info.

I am having ALS (Advanced Long-Range Systems) build me an upper.  With a 9 month wait I have time to hunt around for the press and components and still build up some ammo before the ALS-50 rifle is ready.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#5]
lee review

http://members.cox.net/rjring/

get it!
145 from midway

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
The Lee 50BMG setup is certainly reasonably priced at just 30% of the Hornady or RCBS rigs.  A benchrest shooter buddy of mine (Yeah, I know they are anal about everything) says the precision machining just is not there with the Lee press and dies and this is why they are less expensive.  I cannot dispute this because I have little experience with Lee stuff and none with 50BMG reloading in particular.

I have ordered a barrel with a Match dimension chamber and do not want press/die limitations to be the weak link in precision of my loads.    Any one out there getting gret ammo out of the Lee 50BMG press?  I just don't want to have to get the LEE press and have to replace it for someting better in a year.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
tag-a-BOOM
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I got the Hornady 50BMG kit (press with 50BMG dies).   Jeez the 50BMG dies are big honking dies!    When I looked at the RCBS it look nearly identical to the Hornady.   I plan to get the adapter bushing so that I can use the standard 7/8"dies in the big press as well.   I have to say the Hornady looks pretty good.

Still shopping for brass and bullets.  Probably get some 750grain A-Max for acuracy loads and pick up a hundred or so resized bullets for fun.  Any bullets I should avoid for use in a new ALS-50?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#9]
no, as long as they are sized when u get them..
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top