the kick or loudness, I don't make alot of
money, so don't want to make a mistake on
what to get her, but don't want to get her a
P-Shooter like a 22LR handgun. Any suggestions
on what your wives shoot
Thanks....
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe something in 9mm?  Recoil is noticably less than .40 S&W.  Another option is a .357 revolver - she can plink with .38 special.

Hehe.... when I read the title I thought you wanted to make a trade...
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
check out http://handguns.ar15.com. Click on site navigator at top of screen and browse. I am a woman looking for my concealed handgun. I have a Browning HiPower 9mm but want something a little lighter in weight. At the last gun show, I narrowed my choices to Sig Sauer 9mm, Bersa .380 and Kahr K9 9mm. Each fit my hand great. I will probably get the Kahr. These guns ranged from $180-399 which fit in my price range. Check out the women shooters forum in the handguns section. Good luck and keep us posted on what you get her.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife liked the PPK in .380 and the Kahr K9 in 9mm.  She ended up going with the Kahr K9.  Pick it up next week.  Key is to let her pick out the gun.  Dont go buy one for her.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#4]
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get her a S&W 3913 9mm! My wife had one and HATED it. The frame is so light, it has a nasty kick. I didn't even like to shoot it. So we sold it and got her a SIG-Sauer P-228(she picked it out). Accurate with mild recoil. A SIG-Sauer P-225 would be a good choice also. It's a single-stack version of the P-228.

CDNN has(or did have) P-225's for $499.99 with 2 8-round mags. Check Shotgun News for their most current ad.

Although I'm not a Glock fan, I do know a couple of female shooters who really like their Glock 19's...
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]

. Key is to let her pick out the gun. Dont go buy one for her.

I agree 110% with schapman43
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife had a Sig P230 , and now uses a Bersa Thunder in 380ACP . They both were ok but the Bersa won out since it was easier for her to work the slide with her carpal tunnel syndrome .
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
My wife started with a Beretta 84F 380 and then moved up to a S&W 908 single stack 9mm. It fits her small hand better and 9mm still has a mild kick
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I agree with his agreement.  Also don't be surprised or question her decision when she picks a revolver.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#10]
odds are, she'll pick a 38 special revolver.

But, like the New England Patriots...ya never know!

lol, btw, my ol lady wants a gun now too after seeing my collection grow substantially.  A snubnose 38 special revolver is the only thing missing in the safe, so that'll of course be my recommendation.

Ultimately she'll decide and I'll just ride the odds on the 38, but if she starts eyeballin' a 454 Casull, well, I'll admit defeat and support her desire for the ragin bull.

She IS the boss afterall!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree with his agreement.  Also don't be surprised or question her decision when she picks a revolver.

My wife's pick was a Mdl 36 S&W .38sp 2inch
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Medium frame S&W, Taurus, or Ruger 357mag. Then load it with 38 special rounds. Most anybody can handle that. Don't buy any high tech/lightweight stuff, stick to blued steed or stainless.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#13]
My personal opinion: A 9mm Glock, compact size (although probably not sub-compact) is best.

However, if you she has a bias against Glocks or semi-autos in general, I suggest a hammerless .38.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:05:24 PM EDT
[#14]
first, she'll need to get over that problem with the loudness.  almost all guns i know of go BOOM! really loud when fired.

kick, on the otherhand, can be controlled a little bit better.

the Glock 26 (subcompact) is fine for both stopping power and relatively low recoil.  depending on her hand size, the next up (19) might be better as it will help lessen recoil.

if she wants a revolver, make sure it's steel and not the light weight alloys.  hammerless is fine if and only if she's strong enough for the double action.  personally, i like having the option of SA or DA.  and i just keep mine holstered so that the hammer can't be pulled back accidentally.

as far as revolver caliber, most women don't like the .357 at all.  especially the shorter the barrel gets.  and to be any good at it, she'd have to practice, practice, practice with .357.  if she doesn't like to practice with what she'll shoot defensively, don't get her that caliber.  (i know from experience on this one!)  plinking with .38 is fine, but it's no substitute for the .357 practice.  she has to shoot what she'll carry!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Key is to let her pick out the gun.  Dont go buy one for her.

Tried to do it myself and made that mistake.  Got her an alloy S&W LadySmith 642 5-shot .38Spl.  She hated it.  Took her to the next gunshow and she went straight for a Glock 19.  Smart lady.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#16]
My wife had trouble racking my 92FS because of a medical problem with her hand.  If you elect to use a semi-auto, make sure this is not an issue.  We ended up getting an old Security Six in .357 and a couple of speed loaders.  My wife actually likes the .357, but if .357 recoil is a problem you could use .38s instead.

I think the most important thing is that the person be comfortable with the gun, know it, and practive with it.  I've known guys that have bought guns for home defense that they then locked up and never even fired or tried out at a range.  Big mistake.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 6:54:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get her a S&W 3913 9mm! My wife had one and HATED it. The frame is so light, it has a nasty kick. I didn't even like to shoot it. So we sold it and got her a SIG-Sauer P-228(she picked it out). Accurate with mild recoil. A SIG-Sauer P-225 would be a good choice also. It's a single-stack version of the P-228.

CDNN has(or did have) P-225's for $499.99 with 2 8-round mags. Check Shotgun News for their most current ad.

Although I'm not a Glock fan, I do know a couple of female shooters who really like their Glock 19's...

Actually, the P225 is a single stack version of the P226.  However, I would recommend it or the P228.  I bought one and one of my friend's girlfriend loved it.  She has a carry license and was carrying a P230 in .380.  She went out and bought one of the P228 and carries it now.  Several other female acquiantances or hers have now bought P228's and P229's and all love them.  The P228 is available only in 9mm and is a little lighter than the P229, although they look the same, due to the stainless slide on the P229 9mm.  The P229 is also available in .40 and .357 Sig, but I would recommend the 9mm for most ladies.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
..... but don't want to get her a
P-Shooter like a 22LR handgun.

Hold that thought !

There are plenty of specific recommendations already posted. I would put my base-line at .38 Special/9mm.
(Probably you already have.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:38:37 AM EDT
[#19]
How about a Glock G19? Easy to shoot in 9mm with low recoil and ammo is very cheap. Afterall you will want to get your woman something you'll want to shoot too!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife's first gun was a Browning Buck Mark. She's shot about 500 rounds through that. I bought her a S+W 686 4" for Xmas two years ago. When we go to the range that's the only pistol she takes. Sent it out for moon clip work and she plans to shoot IPCS with it.
She's 5'6" and about 115 lbs. Hope I didn't add any pounds I could get in trouble.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#21]
My experience is very similar to Arock's. I bought my wife a S&W Ladysmith .357 mag and she hated it. Even shooting .38 special. The double action trigger pull wore her finger out after a few rounds. And she is not a wimp. She tried my Glock 21 and loved it and can shoot it very well. So I ended up getting her a Glock 19 which she loves. Its easy to shoot and will do the job if needed. I like it too. But to be safe take her to a range that rents guns and let her try a few and decide for herself. She will like a gun much more if she can shoot it well and comfortably.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a S&W 337 TI .38 for my wife. I've had PPK's, Sig 230's. I fired the lastest Sig 232 in .380, and was suprised how much I liked It compared to the 230. I carry a G-19, but it is not a firearm I would recomend for a first time carry. The 'J' frame S&W in .38 is a good option.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top