Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2002 3:17:53 PM EDT
Are they ok to use?

I just picked up a pair and they didn't have heatshields. Do I need them? They are going on an UGLY PINK M4gery I'm putting together for my wife.

She won't know the difference, but are there any safety/comfort issues I need to worry about?

Tony
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 3:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I know Accuracy Speaks remove the heatshields when they install their free-float tubes, but then the tube will act as a heat shield.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It is very important to have the heat shields in. The barrel gets noticeably hot after just 10-15 rounds. When I shoot a military qualification course (40 rds in 20 min) the hand guards are warm to the touch. I would hate to hold them w/o the heat shields in.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The new AR180B does not have heat shields inside the handguards and I have blazed away with it and felt no more heat than I do with my other ARs.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
My Oly came with out heatshields, they do get warm, but nothing uncomfortable to the touch. They were very well made and sturdy, but I needed the Colt M4 hand guards to complete the M4 look. Tried to sell them on ebay and had no takers. Guess I have a set for my next project!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:21:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanx for the input, guys.

Tony
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top