Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 7:30:08 AM EST
I'm new to this site and I love it already, full of great info. I was just wondering if you guess had seen info about the "XM8" system by HK, it may replace the current M4's and M16's.

http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/xm8.html

There are also videos if you want to see it in action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lehigh Steel Battalion U.S. Army ROTC

No poor bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making other bastards die for their country.
George S. Patton, General (1885-1945)

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:54:31 AM EST
Yeah, it's been covered quite well.

The XM-8 is an outgrowth of the XM-29 OCIW. They couldn't get the weight down on the XM-29, so they broke it apart into it's base bullet thrower (XM-8) and the Grenade launcher. They made the GL bigger from 20mm to 25mm and it's now going under the designation XM-25.

The XM-8 is still experimental (hence the "X") and HK has a great PR section, so alot of anything you hear about it is just that. By all accounts it's a great carbine, but the Army has still to do quite a bit of testing on it. It's based on the G-36, which is a good rifle.

You can bet that if the Army does like it and gives it the nod, there will be lawsuits galore. The Army has yet to announce they need to replace the M16/M4 series, let alone issue a request for a replacement. The Army will take the stance that it's been through competitions as the OCIW, but that was as a combined weapon under different criteria. Unless the Army actually lets true competition for a new service long arm to take place, Congress will get involved and the process with be a mess. I predict the latter.

There has been a request for SCAR, which is the Special Ops Combat Advanced Rifle or something or other that SOCOM has requested. This is a separate deal than the XM-8 and requests a modular system, to be compatible with the gizmos they already use today on the rail interface, and includes a 5.56mm and larger 7.62 version. It also needs to be capable of conversion to other calibers, including 7.62x39, etc. HK, Colt, and FN are in that competition. HK is proposing the XM-8 for their entry. I don't know about the other two. It's sorta like the MK-23's counterpart in rifle form. It doesn't apply to non-SOCOM (i.e. the green army).

HK has built a plant in GA right next to Ft Benning, to help with getting contracts. They hope to build the XM-8 there (as the M-8). They have said they will be building the USP .40 compact there for LE contracts for now.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 9:25:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By Ross:
Yeah, it's been covered quite well.

The XM-8 is an outgrowth of the XM-29 OCIW. They couldn't get the weight down on the XM-29, so they broke it apart into it's base bullet thrower (XM-8) and the Grenade launcher. They made the GL bigger from 20mm to 25mm and it's now going under the designation XM-25.

I think they should drop the XM-8 and concentrate on the grenade launcher. I've read about that think and it's got some damn slick things it can do.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 1:03:04 AM EST
Well, they are putting plenty of effort, and money, into the GL portion. It's just that since the GL is not made by HK, it doesn't get the press. HK only built the rifle portion of the OCIW.

HK had been selling things to governments long enough to know how to do it. Good press and political wrangling is what the arms trade is all about.

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 2:11:27 AM EST
The XM it awesome there was a whole article on it in speacial weapons for military and police magazine. You can fire it with one hand and there are 100 round drums available for it. Their is a great sight already built in and its a tan/grey color which is perfect for the desert and urban areas. It beats the old M4 by far.
Top Top