Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 12:21:54 PM EDT
I purchased a HSGI Gas Mask/Dump mag pouch from none Other than SKD, hahahaha
Anyway this is an excellant pouch It affords one quick access to your mask, Approx 2 seconds faster for me,and can be resecured just as easy after dawning your mask. The kicker is when you remove your mask its a heck of a lot easier to place it back in a top loading pouch rather than a front loading pouch.
The HSG rig also works wonderfully for  a Dump Pouch. Working out over the weekend I discovered how well it holds its shape as opposed to other rigs, yet its flexible enough to not pound your leg if you fall through a window onto it, , yes that happened to me on Sunday......
AnywayI did find that trimming the plastic edge trim that holds pouch open just a bit allowed me to close the top of the pouch easier. The addition of the built in attachment for a knife sheath in the system behind the large pouch was pure Genious, hats/ K-pots off to these guys!!!!
chuck
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That looks like a sweet piece of gear!
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 10:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Indeed it does

About how many 30 rounders will it hold as a dumper?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
A few more pics.

I want one
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, them pics sent me over the edge, I'll be ordering one soon ;)

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one, and I can recommend it for use as a dump pouch, too.  There is a zipper built into the lid just for that purpose.  Gene's saddle design keeps the pouch in place a lot better than other drop-leg designs I've tried.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:25:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been thinking about one of these for a dump pouch only. You say it stays in place alot better than others but I have never used a dropleg type dump pouch and worry about the size and how much it will flop around with a couple of mags in it and say an extra pistol mag or light pouch mounted to it. Maybe I'm just anal but I don't like my shit flopping around when i'm running. Don't read into that. Any advice from users???
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:56:07 AM EDT
[#8]

KKahn, I got rid of my drop-leg dump pouch for exactly the reasons you describe as concerns.  Now I have a TT Small modular drop-leg panel with 2x M4 mags, 2x pistol mags, and a SF light in its place.  For a dump pouch, I use a Maxpedition RolyPoly on my pistol belt.  For the record, I'm 5'11" and about 155lbs soaking wet.  That mean's I don't have much meat on my legs to wrap subloads to.  This might have been one reason the larger rig didn't suit me well, and it definitely distracted me when running.  On the right, I've got another TT Small modular panel with a holster and GPS pouch.

-Randy
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 5:16:09 AM EDT
[#9]
It does flop around some, however, there are some mitigating circumstances.

First, I don't have anything mounted on the PALS.  It would probably fit a single stack mag pouch or some pistol mags nicely, but I don't care for the extra weight on it.  It has a small pocket on the rearward facing side which I keep a LULA in.  

Second, although it does flop some, I don't run marathons with it.  It's more of a dash from spot to spot during a class or something like that.

Third, there's a removable internal flexible frame that keeps some of the flopping down.

I have the MM pouch that the MaxP RP is based on.  In my experience it flops quite a bit, and since it has no method to secure the lower part, going prone with it can be a painful affair.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, I forgot to mention that Gene's saddle design works better than other drop leg design for the reasons that Joe mentioned.  I have an HSGI drop holster, as well.  Those are the only 2 drop-leg affairs that I use, as everything else is carried higher.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:35:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys for the feedback! I am still undecided though.

SKD: Thanks for the input and I am one that would get accused of wearing a  'Tactical Jock' as I do wear my drop leg holster very high but dropped to clear armor as you mentioned. I guess my issue now is the size one you mentioned. The HSGI dump seems alittle large (gas mask size) compared to say SOE.
My thoughts right now are to go with either a HSGI drop leg mag holder (custom ordered to hold one less mag per pocket) and use a TAG type dump pouch with a velcro strap added so it can be rolled up but still being more stable in use than a rollypoly OR to custom order a HSGI dump in a little smaller size.

TECHBRUTE: How long is a rolypoly or were are you wearing it that it can flop to a painful area?

ANYBODY: The HSGI dump can mount a knife sheath, but the height of the knife appears to negate the whole resond of droping the rig.  I am also undecided as to the best carry location for my knife(fullsize). I have never worn a fullsize knife on my combat rig but want to start.
Weakside (HSGI drop), LBE strap (handle down), Strong/weak side were it would sat on when in vehicle, on LBE (handle up), or what?????? I have seen at least once someone wearing his (fullsize) knife on the front of his strong size thigh. Looked strange but functional!!!????
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I've worn the MM pouch both on my belt and on my Hellcat.  I'm right handed and wear it at the 10:30 location on my body.  Both on the belt and on the chest it has managed to flop over a direction it shouldn't.  On the chest, it wound up in my armpit or in my gut.  On the belt, it has wound up in my gut.

Every time, it's been with only 1 or 2 mags in it.  Once you begin to fill it up, it stablizes some.

Another thing.  I haven't carried a full-size knife in the dump pouch.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Guys
All drop leg rigs "flop" some, But after 14 years in the Army I can say that this rig flops Considerably Less than a GI Issue Gas mask Carrier, even if its strapped to your leg. The design that they use allows it to ride tight, but the bungy in the leg strap affords one movement when getting down and picking ones self up.
I can actually dump 3 mags into it easily with a gas mask in it, M42 design,
I mount a STRIKE Strobe pouch on the front of mine and M8 paper and test kits for NBC testing in the other pocket.
If a gas mask is not needed, I dont carry any extra mags in it, cause its for "dumping " spent mags in it. hahahahahah
I have learned there is no perfect gear only close to perfect. If you like it at the store or in the catalog Buy it, however when you load this stuff up with weightand see how it rides, while humping, running, Bushwacking, and riding in a vehical, Now theres the real standard, I can say this, this piece of gear is worth its price!
chuck
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Joe,

You got any HSGI drop mag pouches in stock in CB?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#18]
CB, Khaki, whatever.  :D

As long as it's tannish colored.  That's probably the color of all my HSGI stuff I already have, anyway.  It's the best color to stand out in the hot texas sun in.  That "tactical" black crap will have you panting on the ground.  OD is fine, but the lighter, the better around here.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:43:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Right on.  Thinking of getting one prior to Gunstock.  Don't wanna have to wear my chest rig or vest out there if I don't have to due to the heat.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got a Maxpedition RollyPolly and am using it as a dump pouch for a shooting package I'm doing and it works just fine, even on the run. Having it only attached at the waist  minimizes the mags from being thrown around by your leg like drop leg pouches.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
techbrute,
Just thought I'd update you that the Khaki Drop Leg Pouches have arrived.  

Joe, IM sent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top