Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 2:36:01 PM EDT
Be careful when you're at the range on a sunny hot summer day.  Cover those black rifles cause damn....don't they get warm while they wait their turn on the line.

A little while back I went to a local gravel pit for a good old fashioned ammo dump.  Makes me wonder if I should paint them so they won't absorb so much of that heat, or at least cover them up.  Picked up my Mossy 590 the other day at the range and damn near burnt my fingers off grabbing the forend.  Even hotter after 9 slugs leave the barrel!  Same went for the AR and AK.  I think I'll add a small blanket to the 'range gear' list.

Those guns over in the sandbox must get pretty scorchin'!

Does a good paint job using lighter colors keep the guns 'cooler?'  I don't wear tactical gloves, cause I'm no mall ninja.  Shorts n Tees on this Arfcommer.

H
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Maine...too hot?  Don't be a puss!  Come on down to FL, I'll show you how hot an Evil Black Rifle can get!  

Either way, it can't be as hot as our boys in Iraq and A-stan have to put up with.

ETA:  How is that cutie daughter of yours enjoying her first summer?
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Hokie I wonder if my Green Steyr AUG will get has hot as my black AR15

sorry about that I had to make a joke.

I too would like to know if there is another way to keep my ARs cool when they are baking in the sun prarie dog hunting.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh my...I thought North country lads were a heartier stock....

I guess you haven't spent much time running several mags through a FAL with powdercoat metal handguards, you wanna talk about hot

Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#5]
...and people make fun of the Israelis and their covered rifles.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Be careful when you're at the range on a sunny hot summer day.  Cover those black rifles cause damn....don't they get warm while they wait their turn on the line.

I relearned this lesson (the hard way, of course) earlier this summer.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn and I though this was going to be a BOTD thread.
Nothing but talk about toasty rifles....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:39:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Those guns over in the sandbox must get pretty scorchin'!

Real hot and it does not take long. I did a lot of convoy security stuff and it would only take a few min in direct sunlight. I dont like wearing gloves but I had to, either that or only touch the plastic parts.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#9]
One of the first things they told me at my first highpower match was never leave your rifle or your ammo in the sun, always have something covering it. Not only so it doesn't get too hot to hold but it also helps with accuracy since it doesn't experience as much heat distortion.

Just as a bit of extra (irrelevant?) info. We took a IR temp gun at work and measured temperatures inside of vehicles parked in the sun at work on a typical St. Louis summer day. Vehicles with the windows rolled up reached up around 140degrees on the dash, windows down reached around 110-120 degrees. I guess I will have to borrow the temp gun and make a few measurements at home on various rifles in the sun eh?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I too would like to know if there is another way to keep my ARs cool when they are baking in the sun prarie dog hunting.

Chris

Smear some zinc cream on the front sight base, and some coppertone on the bolt carrier.. You'll be fine
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:27:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I always bring a towel with which to cover my rifles when they're exposed to direct sun light, only when I'm not shooting them though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:30:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Maine...too hot?  Don't be a puss!  Come on down to FL, I'll show you how hot an Evil Black Rifle can get!  

Either way, it can't be as hot as our boys in Iraq and A-stan have to put up with.

lol...great retorts all....

Should have expected as much.  Most times at the range I usually bring one rifle and one handgun.  That time I brought four rifles and four handguns.....so I guess to my own ignorance I never gave it much thought!  DOH!  

My daughter is AWESOME, thanks for asking!  Lots of drooling and teething right now (6.5 months).  The best part is watching her discover things and grow.  Damn doesn't it happen fast too!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:32:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol...great retorts all....

Should have expected as much.  Most times at the range I usually bring one rifle and one handgun.  That time I brought four rifles and four handguns.....so I guess to my own ignorance I never gave it much thought!  DOH!  

My daughter is AWESOME, thanks for asking!  Lots of drooling and teething right now (6.5 months).  The best part is watching her discover things and grow.  Damn doesn't it happen fast too!

She'll be shooting Rabbits and Partridge and stealing construction supplies before you know it.  Just like her Dear ol' Dad!
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:54:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I get all welled up just thinking about it!

I'm such a sap these days....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Go to a Sports store and buy one of the 10X10 sunshades foraround $80 to get under to shoot. Makes a huge difference
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
It's even more fun when you leave the 'ol surplus Mauser in the sun, go to pick it up, and it slips outta your hands because all the cosmoline has finally leached out of the stock...(if that's possible, mine seems to have an unending supply!)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:39:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It's even more fun when you leave the 'ol surplus Mauser in the sun, go to pick it up, and it slips outta your hands because all the cosmoline has finally leached out of the stock...(if that's possible, mine seems to have an unending supply!)

that's gotta be messy!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:39:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Go to a Sports store and buy one of the 10X10 sunshades foraround $80 to get under to shoot. Makes a huge difference

not a bad idea at all!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#19]
My Az summer dress code is as follows:

Shorts
Ugly shirt ( not Hawaiian but the same cut with an uglier print )
Sandals with super sexy socks
Sunglasses
Civilian, Wide cut Boonie/Floppy hat worn Cowboy style
MALL NINJA AVIATOR/TAC GLOVES

You wanna talk about stylin'????    I'm the sexiest cat on the range and I don't torch my mitts!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top