Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/9/2002 5:08:00 PM EDT
I am looking to get a .308 caliber rifle and was wondering what were the differences between the HK91 , G3, and the CEMTE rifles were.  I see them all for sale for all kinds of prices.  I want a shooter, not a cabinet queen either!  Thanks for any info and opinions!!
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#1]
from what i remember the CETME was designed for a lower powered version of the 7.62x51 round.. and the barrel has a lower pressure tested barrel...
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#2]
the cetme is the fore runner of the hk designed by  germans  after ww2 . they are a crap shoot when ya buy them nowadays though the one i got works great. the ? you have to ask yourself is how much ya gonna spend? you definatly get a higher price tag with the HK
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 5:53:04 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the relationship:
CETME: a Century crapshoot. but it's only $300 (maybe less)
G3: Either a century crapshoot or a NFA item (G3 is the designation for a full auto HK91, but century also uses it for their parts kit guns assembled from the remains of license built foreign copies of said full autos) the semi auto (century) can be had for 450-600 dollars or up to 1500 if you find one from a better manufacturer
HK91: German built semi auto G3. banned by the 89 executive order. cost: in the $2-3k range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
HK91 - AMG SledgeHammer
Century G3- Opel Kadett
CETME - Trabi

Any questions?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:04:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
HK91 - AMG SledgeHammer
Century G3- Opel Kadett
CETME - Trabi

Any questions?

Ummm.. yeah.  What the hell is a Trabi?  Also, are the parts interchangable between the CETME, Century G3 and HK91?

And while I'm at it, I may as well ask what an "FAC" receiver is.  I found a guy selling a rifle with it and have no idea what that means.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
"FAC" = Federal Arms Corp.

http://www.gunsnstuff.net/

Sometimes Harlan from FAC is on the board here or over at FALFiles...

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 7:39:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#8]
OK, so if I am reading this correctly, the FAC G3 is a pretty good rifle and the CETME is questionable because of how it was put together.  I still don't know if the CETME is interchangable with G3 parts.  I'd like to know only becuase I have a crack at an FAC G3 with scope mount, scope and 4 mags for $375 but if that falls through, I'll probably look at the CETME.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#9]
other than the magazines, not really.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Cliffy109-Here is a link-www.geocities.com/miketheelectrician1/cetme1.html?1006652443870 To a page about the CETME. The in's a out's and what is interchangable and what is not.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:57:08 PM EDT
[#11]
The early Century Cetme's[serial # 4000 and below, of which I have one]were put together of new parts.Wood,bore,internals on mine look  like new.After # 4000 they were used parts and it's a crapshoot.Mine functions great and will accept G3/HK91 mags and Cetme mags.Mine has the S.S. receiver and paddle wheel rear sight.

As much as I like mine if I were to buy one now[above #4000]I'd look at it very closely.Not trying to scare you off but I'd definately have an agreement before buying about returning it with your FFL if it turns out to be a jammomatic.The problem isn't about the basic design of the rifle[the HK semi-blowback design is as reliable as it gets]it's about the monkeys at Century assembling rifles of used parts now that they are out of new parts.

I'd buy one again but not sight unseen like I did with my #2*** Cetme.The Cetme is a great way to get a HK style design a helluva lot cheaper than a real HK,just do your research.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top