Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2002 8:36:16 PM EDT
I was looking at getting a weapon for the .45 round.  I was primarily looking at HK handguns, but then I noticed the USC.  I wasn't too crazy about the long barrel just sticking out the front, but the gun's been growing on me, especially after I got to hold one.  

What do you guys think about the HK USC?  With all the accessories I think it could look pretty cool but I just want to make sure that form follows function.  Happy Holidays.
Link Posted: 12/8/2002 5:22:07 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a good rifle. You should probably go check out HKpro.com and do a search for details about conversions available, etc.

It's fun to shoot. I can only think of two big issues with it. One is price... like any HK it's not a cheap rifle and will cost you $2000 by the time you outfit it. The second issue is the fact the bolt is the bulk of the weight of the rifle. As the bolt cycles you get much more tendency to move off target than the recoil would normally cause. I find it much, much easier to do aimed rapid-fire in my AR-15 than my USC.

Otherwise it's really nice... quiet, easy to clean, mechanically simple. I would recommend investigating a pistol caliber AR-15 upper first and see if that makes more sense for your needs though, unless you're just looking for a fun rifle.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#3]
*cough*

Debated over the two??
Well, why not just get the both of them... :)

Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
heh, you got to be kidding?? You didn't even own a 91 before these new plastic hk's came out..

poor goatboy..   :)

*snicker*
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I love H&K firearms, I shoot a USC with +P++ ammo...kind of hard on brass, but it sure does cling the gongs at 60 yards.  Not even a 100 yard weapon, use is CQC/CQB type.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I love em.. very good gun.  Pretty lightweight since it's mostly plastic.  Now if I could just find a different stock for it.. in the same color
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Are they still being imported?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 8:29:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I love em.. very good gun.  Pretty lightweight since it's mostly plastic.  Now if I could just find a different stock for it.. in the same color

I thought you were on HKPro too.

Go over there in HK Talk and look up RollerDave's post on the stock.

He did the RIT black dye, and posted on how he attached a real honest to god UMP stock on it. With Spineguys barrel shroud it looks damn cool. Look even better as a SBR, imo.
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are they still being imported?

Yes.

HK is reportedly stoping importation of the SL8, since it's sales sucked. But how was the SL8 (which requires a bunch of high cost mods to look like a G36) going to compete with domestic AR-15s and others that cost less?

Somebody said on HKPro that they are unhappy with the USC as well, and that they have a large number sitting in Sterling, VA, not selling. Which isn't really suprising. It's a cool carbine and all, but requires work to look cool, and costs a bit much.

*shrug.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:46:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Guys (you get the pleasure of my first post),

As a guy not blinded by a HK (all guns are sexy to me), I'll give you my impressions as I rented one three days ago and put a few boxes through it.

Cheers:

1) It's lighter than it looks.

2) Recoil is nice, rapid fire recovery from shot to shot is GREAT. After checking the sights out to see where point of impact was (dead on), I put 2 mags through it as fast as I could settle the front sights down at 50 ft. The rounds almost all fit into about a 9" circle with more lateral dispersion than horizontal (means the gun is capable of better with practice). Anyway, it would do a hell of a job ventilating a Terrorist Torso at short range, which is what it was designed to do I'd imagine.

3) Very unintimidating to shoot for low-time Commando's. Muzzle blast is mild and it's much quieter than a handgun. The 'kick' is a more like a push than a punch. Not a lot of vertical rise either.

Jeers:

1) For as compact as it is, it doesn't feel small in the hands. Not as light as it could be either-You could be firing a rifle caliber carbine for this amount of weight

2) The grip is made for people with bigger meats than my average sized hands.

3) The mule I rented had it's plastic front sight cover broke on top, I'd rather it were steel.

4) Safety felt akward.

5) 10 rds. sucks.. Why do I have to pay for someone to convert it to the type of magazine it was intended for?

6) The idiot that decided to go with the grey stocks should be sent to work at Daewoo or HiPoint or something. Guns shouldn't look like my kid sister's old Barbie toys. Black-Yes, Olive Green-Maybe, But Grey?? What's next a Pink Versace Limited Edition? :)

7) The sights sucked and the stock is too short to focus on the rear sight. I don't have any problems with my AR or any other gun.

8) My rental gun may have been really dirty inside because it went full auto twice. Kinda Cool, but at any other range I'd have been asked to leave.

To address why the gun isn't selling, I think the color, the way it feels in the hand, the price, and the mediocre sights have a lot to do with it. Gun People may not be able to tell you what they want in the ideal gun, but without being able to explain it, they know if a gun isn't right for them when they paw it at the gun shop.

I'd like to have a USC, but to be honest, I don't think I should have to pay that kind of money for a gun that needs better sights so badly. A reflex sight of some kind would do wonders for the USC, but then you are talking about a 15-$1700 gun that shoots a (relatively) wimpy cartridge. Questions of reliablilty aside, I'd much rather have a Carbon-15 in .223 in a gunfight.

I feel that HK could have done a better job on the Ergonomics on the USC. Given how little space it takes to make a .45 subgun, and how much larger the USC is than say, a STEN gun, I think they dropped the ball. The USC is a lot bigger than it has to be.

That's my 2c worth anyway..

Dave
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:53:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top